+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mic’d up training

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    You’d think from reading this board that we’ve just endured a season of mind numbing football. Either some of our fans enjoy seeing a 60yard hoof up the pitch, in the hope something falls for a Jon Stead type, or they have erased countless seasons of awful football from their memories.
    I don’t think I’ve ever known a season where we’ve scored so many outstanding team goals.
    I understand the criticism, to a point, that we weren’t ruthless enough at times but that has nothing to do with the style of play. That’s about quality and desire in both boxes. We came up short in our own box, and that was the difference. If we had won the league playing exactly the same type of football, I don’t think anyone would criticise our style of play. Results and performance aren’t mutually exclusive but they’re two very different things!
    When teams came to ML and sat deep, we moved the ball sideways to draw them in. That’s the only time we ever did it, and it generally worked. It can be frustrating to watch but the frustration should be at the ‘anti-football’ opposition.
    I wish IB all the best and will watch his career with interest.
    Erasing "countless seasons of awful football from their memories" is something I really wish I could do!!

Alas I can't there were too many to forget

I thought the football (at home) was largely very good…much better than in recent times. Our problems stemmed from when we didn’t have the ball, not enough strength, desire or aggression in winning it back. By the sounds of it LW wants us to press the ball much higher which I would be very happy with…the only thing is that not that many teams play out from the back like we did so the high press may not be on for us very often.

How are we going to deal with the ariel bombardments and set pieces will largely define how we do this year.

Quote Originally Posted by sinophile View Post
    I think there is a level of, maybe deliberate, misunderstanding regarding the '5 passes'. If you want players to be comfortable passing the ball, and particularly defenders, then they have to practice passing. I suppose it's a bit like learning a musical instrument. You learn scales. That doesn't mean you only play scales, but to be proficient you have to be able to play them. Defenders need to be able to pass the ball unless all you want them to do is belt it up field. Therefore, they must practice.
    You have hit the nail on the head perfectly. The five passes in a coaching session sense is designed to give players more touches and time on the ball to develop their receiving, control and passing. The modern game requires goalkeepers and defenders to be good with both their feet and play out from from the back. So the more they work on this in training no matter the age or experience the better they are able to adapt.

I can't see these 2 just standing on the sidelines, 1 with his arms folded and the other with his hands in his pockets all game, we're going to hear them I think

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    I can't see these 2 just standing on the sidelines, 1 with his arms folded and the other with his hands in his pockets all game, we're going to hear them I think
    I don't care whether they are mutes or waving their arms and shouting like lunatics for most of the 90 mins as long as they win more than the 24 we won last season I will be happy.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345