+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT other sports

Used to love watching the snooker when it had characters playing who were not all miserable robots.

I'm a huge fan of rugby union and probably watch it more that the football these days as my daughter loves it and we go to games together.
    Though it's getting very expensive these days
    We also have a local club just 10 mins walk from here. Free to watch and the bar is open all afternoon!

I was a decent athlete as a junior raced a lot, and lost, against Brendan Foster, and did a lot of marathon running in my more mature years until I buggered up my knee.
    Still love to watch the Diamond League and other events on TV and the odd meeting at the Olympic Stadium, including the Para events.

Also follow the cycling - catch as much as I can of the Tour, Giro and Vuelta as well as the other races on Eurosport and ITV.

As a youngster I loved Formula One - Moss, Hawthorn, Stewart etc. The days of Vanwall and Cooper cars.
    I lost interest for a few years, then the company I worked for bought Jordan Racing and put me on the board of the new racing team, based at Silverstone.
    The Grands Prix were fun, but I enjoyed most the testing days at the circuit.
    I could stand in the pit as they called the cars in after a few laps, stripped them down and rebuilt them in seconds and sent them out again.
    I am really no petrol head, but loved that part of the job.

That must have been both exciting and interesting to have been a direct part of Kemptown.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    That must have been both exciting and interesting to have been a direct part of Kemptown.
    To be honest ExPat, most of it was a pain in the proverbial.

F1 is a goldmine for the legal profession, going by my experiences anyway.
    There are constant disputes about performance bonuses, advertising rights, sponsorships etc.
    Everybody ends up suing everybody else.
    We had one of our ex-drivers arrested when he came to UK to drive in the British GP one year for a rival team. owing us money from his time with us!

One of the reasons that Eddie Jordan had to sell was the huge amounts he owed arising from his legal battles.

Aside from the Galacticos, many of the drivers don't get a guaranteed wage.
    We employed drivers based on how much sponsorship they could bring to the team.
    If they couldn't meet the minimum, then they were dumped and someone else took their place who could bring in the dosh.
    Drivers worked on performance bonuses and whatever they could get out of sponsors.
    Cue ump**** disputes and legal battles.

NUFC and Boxing for me.Will watch some other teams but I'm very selective.

Football far and away number one - NUFC in particular.

At the moment I am keeping an eye on the home nations rugby tours down under and I am a bit of a Tour De France fan.

Tennis, F1 not for me but love a bit of NFL in the winter and anytime a big fight is happening I am all over it

NUFC by miles, F1 occasionally (esp after the last race robbery debacle last year), and Test when England are playing like they have been this summer. Silverstone was best race for years and can`t wait for the cricket finale tomorrow..... all until our next match

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)