+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ravel Gone

Ravel Gone

Ravel Morrison has left The Rams

Opinions?

Mine - thanks for the good days Rav, but there were too few of them. We should have sent you to Wigan instead of Shinnie.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Ravel Morrison has left The Rams

Opinions?

Mine - thanks for the good days Rav, but there were too few of them. We should have sent you to Wigan instead of Shinnie.
    At the age of (nearly) 30 he’s made just 144 appearances in a twelve year career and made many more appearances for us than anyone else.
    Speaks volumes imo.
    A rare talent...but!!! Wonder where will be next? Rooney’s next Championship club perhaps, or destined to be a rare but unfulfilled talent?
    Better off getting rid of the ‘uncommitted’ ASAP imo. That way we know where we stand, what we need and what we can afford.

IMO a true marker of a) what we can afford (or are allowed to spend), and b) what ambition the owners have, is whether we retain Tom Lawrence (oh not forgetting his own level of ambition/ego/avarice).

Last season was his one and only getting on for full season of games. 36 for us and a handful for Jamaica. The rest of his 12 year long career has seen him average 12 games a season. Is he heading back to part-timeville?

I hope he looks long and hard at how/why it took him so long to have something resembling a full season and addresses any failings he comes up with.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Last season was his one and only getting on for full season of games. 36 for us and a handful for Jamaica. The rest of his 12 year long career has seen him average 12 games a season. Is he heading back to part-timeville?

I hope he looks long and hard at how/why it took him so long to have something resembling a full season and addresses any failings he comes up with.
    Agreed. Regarding part timesville/nocontractatallsville, I've been thinking the same about Andre Wisdom. Is it perhaps pride to do with a reduction in salary that makes this happen?

IMO a true marker of a) what we can afford (or are allowed to spend), and b) what ambition the owners have, is whether we retain Tom Lawrence (oh not forgetting his own level of ambition/ego/avarice).
    Don’t see it that way AF. Might be an indication of what we can realistically afford but not of the ‘owner’s ambition’.

I’m obviously not privy to the figures but, leaving aside ‘ego/avarice’ (of which we know nothing)...IF TL is on around £25-£30k pw we can, imo, spend that money much more wisely on recruits better suited to L1.
    He’s a good player, potentially very good, but every L1 ‘clogger’ knows he’s also a ‘hot head’ and we can’t afford that.

Also, IF he remains on something like that salary while other individuals are on say a fifth (or less) that is, again only imo, divisive and bad for morale...and I also don’t actually see him as captaincy material next season.

Assuming (let’s hope) Curtis Davies rejoins he should be a ‘shoe in’ for club captain imo, and I’d like to see that on pitch role shared with a no nonsense ‘engine room’ player...a Van der Laan type figure...who may not even be at the club yet. In short a ‘been there, seen it, done it old head’ not a ‘hot head’
    Last edited by ramAnag; 04-07-2022 at 12:19 PM.

TL's would be a new contract. It would be very interesting to know how much leeway for him there is, either in the business plan and/or in what the EFL will accept.

I am still of the opinion that we might be allowed to offer him no more than 10K at most which is a very high figure for L1. The only chance we might have of him accepting that would be a clause in a 1 year contract allowing him to go on a free if we're not in the promotion hunt come January. The question is would TL go for it?

I fear though that, should he sign for us, he'll be a liability due to him seeing red, metaphorically and physically, far too often after getting wound up.

I think thats a tad unfair on the owners, Lawrence's wages would most likely pay for 3 league 1 players and he will not want toa) drop in salary, b) drop a division. So odds on not to be resigned unless he truly believes he has no other options and tbh there doesn't seem to be many clubs wanting him.

So if the owners are sensible, then we won't resign unless his demands are sensible, therefore its going to be a reflection of what he can earn elsewhere.

Ravel gone...to join Rooney at DC United. Hmmm...so much for loyalty. Suspect he’ll be a huge success at that level though.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Ravel gone...to join Rooney at DC United. Hmmm...so much for loyalty. Suspect he’ll be a huge success at that level though.
    Not sure I see it like that rA, and I'm normally front of the queue regarding disloyal, chase the dough footballers. As a bit part player Morrison through his career he may not have been the most well-remunerated of footballers, he's got a limited footballing life and didn't come across to me as someone who can extend into punditry or management, so a season or two of relatively high pay might be life-changing. In any case we don't know what he was offered at Derby, it may even been LESS than last year as LR found a better clutch of free agents 9which Ithink he has). I don't feel the same about Buchanan by the way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)