+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T. To misquote Henry II...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    " I rent out at below market rate"

WHY
    Competitive initial rates minimise void periods

Competitive ongoing rates make for contented and trouble free tenants

Any marginal quid is usually more valuable in the tenants pocket than ours

So two cold hearted business reasons, one social conscience

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Come on rA, you should know by now that GPs rules only apply to GP. I can't have an opinion on UK Tax it seems but he never objected when I posted in the Government's handling of Covid thread of the Brexit threads.

With regard to the right to vote, I was disenfranchised in 1999, having been out of the country for 15 years. There has been talk of scrapping the removal of the vote in future and reinstating those disenfranchised such as myself. Should that happen, I would abstain from voting. I don't pay into the country so wouldn't think it right to have a say in which party is in power, which should please GP. However, he is completely and utterly wrong in his assertion that I shouldn't have an opinion on UK taxation and also shouldn't voice that opinion. Who knows, I might just win the EuroJackpot first prize tomorrow of €91M and buy myself into partnership with David Clowes as part owner of DCFC. That would put me right back into the front line of taxation with my part ownership of the football club. I wouldn't want to have to start from scratch

GPs attempts at setting limits to the range of topics on which I may have an opinion and comment upon is 100% censorship and absolutely not in his purview. Unless he's a Tory wanting complete control of our lives...... in which case, bring it on, you'll lose.
    Yes you could do that.
    Seeing as the jackpot is 191 M you would already be cooking the books and off to a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I may be getting out of my depth here...but surely MA is only referring to the questionable morality of someone being able to increase their income substantially under the Dutch system without paying any additional tax by renting out property.

I’m not sure what you renting at ‘below market rate’ has to do with anything, AF...without further explanation. They might be very poor properties or in very undesirable areas or you might be a particularly charitable, Christian and altruistic individual...who can tell?

Either way, surely if your income (including rents) is taxed at 40% then this is an indication of your whole income level and the money you receive via renting property must be worth it otherwise it wouldn’t be worth the undoubted occasional hassle.
    My point is that (to me) a tax treatment of an income that is 40% more stringent is significant

See my response to GP for further explanation

NB regards condition they are all tip top and in good areas, shoving folk into hovels in poor areas is not my style, even if it is more profitable

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Competitive initial rates minimise void periods

Competitive ongoing rates make for contented and trouble free tenants

Any marginal quid is usually more valuable in the tenants pocket than ours

So two cold hearted business reasons, one social conscience
    I get the first two 😊

It's not an obsession, but I've encountered many people in my life that advocate helping the less well off, as long as it doesn't cost them anything - another (of many) magic money tree moment.

It's refreshing to find someone who appears to genuinely be happy to reduce his own income to help others. As someone who has, like you, trained 6 years and worked over 40 more (and counting) it is perhaps to my discredit that I struggle with the theory. Possibly having to create my own pension fund, rather than having an employer pay into it, informs the different approach! Or maybe you're a nice guy and.....
    That is often the case certainly in the Uk where the public seem to slaver over a 1p tax cut but then moan the NHS/Schools/etc. arent properly funded.

However, we are where we are partly due tot he pandemic and the billions wasted by the government and the hit to economic activity, but also because of a decade of austerity - which saw the lower income people being squeezed to pay for the excess of bankers. Plus of course the richest in society somehow (amazing isn't it) somehow got richer in the pandemic.

Now theres a lot of guff being thrown around by the Tory leadership candidates about tax cuts - Sunak is virtually the only one saying how are you lot going to pay for these promises? - There is also this conventional wisdom that high tax means low growth, which is funny because thats not how the model which Norway and Sweden follow works - high wage high tax economy with very efficient quality public services.

The UK has a very high level of income inequality compared to other developed countries.

The majority of households in the UK have disposable incomes below the mean income (£34,200 as of 2018). This includes wages and cash benefits, and is after direct taxes like income tax and council tax, but not indirect taxes like VAT. The median income has been rising by 2.2% on average for the last five years. Most of this is accounted for by the rise in average income for the richest fifth, which has increased by 4.7%. The poorest fifth, on the other hand, have seen a fall in income by 1.6%.

In 2018, households in the bottom 20% of the population had on average an equivalised disposable income of £12,798, whilst the top 20% had £69,126.

Since 1980, the share of income earned by the top 1% in the UK has generally been rising, peaking to 13% in 2015. This is almost double the corresponding figure for Belgium (7%) and still higher than Australia (9%), Sweden (8%) and Norway (8%), to name a few.

Any government that has presided over that sort of negative change has by any measure governed badly! yet still the mad ****ers vote for them.

By the way the source for this info is The equality trust.

Jeremy Hunt rapidly losing the plot and the ‘election’. Not content with having Esther McVey as his ‘running mate’ he’s now standing on a ticket that includes bringing back fox hunting.
    How’s that for appalling judgement?

Reckon Liz Truss has just taken the lead but apparently Rees-Mogg is now considering his options. Talk about tarnished, makes Johnson look like a ‘unification’ candidate.

Between little Ritchie, Truss and Tugendhat at the moment for me.

I see the one you'd never heard of, Suella, is standing. Still more than 50% of the Conservative Parliamentary Quorum seem to be. Tugenhadt has a silly name, anyone supporting fox hunting wants to hunted themselves, Trusses are best used to deal with hernias which leaves Sunak as my favoured choice despite his wife

Johnson not coming out in favour of anyone so as not to spoil their chances - one thing he does know is himself!!

Loads of candidates coming out in favour of abandoning green / net zero strategy - I guess they are all trying to find a different angle, but how the hell do they think that is a good idea
    Last edited by Geoff Parkstone; 11-07-2022 at 04:43 PM.

I see the one you'd never heard of, Suella, is standing. Still more than 50% of the Conservative Parliamentary Quorum seem to be. Tugenhadt has a silly name, anyone supporting fox hunting wants to hunted themselves, Trusses are best used to deal with hernias which leaves Sunak as my favoured choice despite his wife

Johnson not coming out in favour of anyone so as not to spoil their chances - one thing he does know is himself!!

Loads of candidates coming out in favour of abandoning green / net zero strategy - I guess they are all trying to find a different angle, but how the hell do they think that is a good idea
    Struggling to get sufficient support though, GP...as, apparently, is Javid.

Abandoning Green/net zero strategy? Absolute genius, especially given the current conditions.

Amazingly I think we’re in agreement...in the short term.

More likely he will sulk, wait until he sees who won, then do his best to sabotage their period as leader, can see another contest before the election.

I reckon Sunak will win it, but who knows we are talking an electorate of over 60, white blokes with above average incomes, so anybody could be in with a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Yes you could do that.
    Seeing as the jackpot is 191 M you would already be cooking the books and off to a good start.
    No TTR, it's €91M today.

Page 11 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)