+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 23 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T. To misquote Henry II...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I can imagine what form that stand will take Andy - they will simply increase the PM's salary!

NB 1. MA E-on is German and EDF is French, so whilst I agree these salaries in the "privatised public sector" are excessive, it isn't little old England's fault always. 2 isn't Shell Dutch, to the extent that any multinational lives anywhere?
    1. True, they are. However, that's not the point. The railways were run down, quite likely on purpose, with a view to privatise them and sell to Toraidh "mates". So were the gas, electric and water industries. That their bosses receive huge salaries isn't a shock. Their instructions are to make as much money as possible in order to subsidise the French and German rail systems among others. Profits are large, as are the dividends paid out.

2. Shell. An Anglo-Dutch concern that used to have its HQ in NL. It recently moved HQ to London. It's shares are now only available on the London Stock Exchange.

Is it just me...AF, GP and TTR please no comments about politicking, moaning or crying...or is it just staggeringly unacceptable that in this two month hiatus between leaders we appear to have no sort of government in this country?

I know many, including (okay, especially) me, wanted rid of the dishonest fool masquerading as PM, but I honestly didn’t expect the total vacuum that has followed when, at a time when we are facing more crises than ever...from the ambulance service to the cost of living/fuel crisis we seem to have no leadership whatsoever.

Perhaps it’s time for the likes of Martin Lewis to take over the Treasury. He certainly seems to make more sense than any politician and is actually prepared and available to make a comment during the summer months.

I mean...we have more than another three weeks of this while the 150,000 or so make their minds up, and then guess what...they’ll all disappear again for the Party conference season. It’s insane.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Is it just me...AF, GP and TTR please no comments about politicking, moaning or crying...or is it just staggeringly unacceptable that in this two month hiatus between leaders we appear to have no sort of government in this country?

I know many, including (okay, especially) me, wanted rid of the dishonest fool masquerading as PM, but I honestly didn’t expect the total vacuum that has followed when, at a time when we are facing more crises than ever...from the ambulance service to the cost of living/fuel crisis we seem to have no leadership whatsoever.

Perhaps it’s time for the likes of Martin Lewis to take over the Treasury. He certainly seems to make more sense than any politician and is actually prepared and available to make a comment during the summer months.

I mean...we have more than another three weeks of this while the 150,000 or so make their minds up, and then guess what...they’ll all disappear again for the Party conference season. It’s insane.
    I can only speak about whats happening 'on the ground' through my friends' son, the 'minister's bag carrier'. He, and he claims many of his colleagues, are working 18 hour days to get the necessary done, and his job role suggests thats government not party political stuff. There does seem more than the usual paralysis at the level we see on the news, although I'll offer the 'excuse' that that's typical of the summer months in years gone by, no matter what the colour of administration, and further to that, the doubletalk about the BIG issue (cost of living/energy) is coming from all sides of politics.

Or maybe, just maybe, the crises are deliberately evolving when there is a gap at the top - particularly re pay demands and strikes? Paralysis does noone any good though, but I'm homing the civil service will be pressing on whilst the politicians play politics.

By the way, if that **** Martin Lewis gets anywhere near the Treasury, I'm emigrating.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

One thing that would help, and this is my hobby horse like BOJO's demise was yours, is if the media (especially the broadcast media) would stop sensationalising stuff, step back and do more of the public information part of their remit. Example, the national news bulletins are describing the energy price cap REALLY badly and in a sensationalist manner (and I don't mean to underplay those in genuine hardship), and if time could be taken out of the schedule for some genuine fact-led advice I think many would be better off a) financially and b) mental-health wise.

See my Martin Lewis commen above for a prime example sensationaliser. Has to keep his celebrity cult status rolling or he will get forgotten - if indeed anyone ever remembers him. Bit like that so called football finance expert, Maguire.

In the land of the blind, these one eyed men are kings

Take all those points on board and I’ve no strong feelings re Martin Lewis one way or the other...but he does seem to have been successful in the world of finance and does appear to know what he’s talking about...so why the hostility, GP?

How should the energy price cap be better described, AF? Again I claim no expertise, other than anecdotal evidence, but this morning I saw a Sky graphic which showed us experiencing the highest energy charges amongst the G7 by some distance. Was that wrong? Is that the media being ‘sensationalist’?

I’m not knocking either of your opinions or making a party political point. It just all seems horribly shambolic to me and some further explanation rather than just reaction towards ML and ‘the media’ might be interesting.

Take all those points on board and I’ve no strong feelings re Martin Lewis one way or the other...but he does seem to have been successful in the world of finance and does appear to know what he’s talking about...so why the hostility, GP?

Because, broadly speaking, he doesn't know what he's talking about. He is a financial opiate for the people

Although in fairness I've only ever seen him a coupel of times on his advice show on TV and his advice was wrong more times than not
    Last edited by Geoff Parkstone; 11-08-2022 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I can only speak about whats happening 'on the ground' through my friends' son, the 'minister's bag carrier'. He, and he claims many of his colleagues, are working 18 hour days to get the necessary done, and his job role suggests thats government not party political stuff. There does seem more than the usual paralysis at the level we see on the news, although I'll offer the 'excuse' that that's typical of the summer months in years gone by, no matter what the colour of administration, and further to that, the doubletalk about the BIG issue (cost of living/energy) is coming from all sides of politics.
    Jeez, how sad and desperate for attention do you have to be to make claims like this? Mind you it is a feature of your posts where for someone with a very narrow perspective on life you claim "to know" people involved in nearly every single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Jeez, how sad and desperate for attention do you have to be to make claims like this? Mind you it is a feature of your posts where for someone with a very narrow perspective on life you claim "to know" people involved in nearly every single issue.
    I'm starting to worry about your constant interest in me Swale; Do you want to meet for coffee?
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 11-08-2022 at 03:26 PM.

Page 23 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)