+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Davie Robb RIP

Just got the news. So sad ... a boyhood hero. Maybe it was just me, but there was always a 'buzz' when Basil got on the ball. Hard as nails, as Auldtoontoby says ... As I remember, many thought he was done after being out for some time following a cartilage operation, then being sidelined with other significant injuries. So for guys like myself who idolised Robb, it was absolute fairytale stuff that he scored the winner in the 76 LC final.

Davie Robb seemed tae lack an 'off switch' .... always alert, fearless, and itchin' tae get 'stuck in'.

We're speakin' a long time ago, so Ah canna gie ye details in addition tae the above summary o' my memory o' seein' the man play ... but it's a summary Ah'll treasure.

RIP Basil. A real one off.

Cult hero Davie Robb recalls a remarkable career

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...career-1542431

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post
    Just got the news. So sad ... a boyhood hero. Maybe it was just me, but there was always a 'buzz' when Basil got on the ball. Hard as nails, as Auldtoontoby says ... As I remember, many thought he was done after being out for some time following a cartilage operation, then being sidelined with other significant injuries. So for guys like myself who idolised Robb, it was absolute fairytale stuff that he scored the winner in the 76 LC final.

Davie Robb seemed tae lack an 'off switch' .... always alert, fearless, and itchin' tae get 'stuck in'.

We're speakin' a long time ago, so Ah canna gie ye details in addition tae the above summary o' my memory o' seein' the man play ... but it's a summary Ah'll treasure.

RIP Basil. A real one off.
    I remember being the League Cup final at Hampden in 1976 when Brush got the winner against Celtic, the ball going in off his knee. Such a cult hero and a lot more skilful than he got credit for. He will ever be remembered by the Aberdeen support of that era as a wholehearted individual who gave his all. Sad news.

The "Davie Robb" game that always sticks in my mind was a game against Motherwell, would've been 77-78 I think.
    We won 4-0 or 4-1, Brush got a hat-trick (I think Strachan got the fourth).
    The three of them were pearlers, I think one of them won goal of the season.
    I also remember a game against the Jooooot, would've been 75 or 76, we won 2-0, I dinna think Davie scored (in fact he may have missed a pen) but he absolutely ran the show.
    And he scored in the game against Hibs when we avoided relegation on the last day of the season, that would've been 1976.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    The "Davie Robb" game that always sticks in my mind was a game against Motherwell, would've been 77-78 I think.
    I also remember a game against the Jooooot, would've been 75 or 76, we won 2-0, I dinna think Davie scored (in fact he may have missed a pen) but he absolutely ran the show.
    And he scored in the game against Hibs when we avoided relegation on the last day of the season, that would've been 1976.
    We must have gone from there to winning the league for years later! There is still hope!

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    ""but I remember a classic hat-trick – left foot, right, header – against Motherwell, all of them pretty good. Graeme Souness was judging Goal of the Season on TV and he voted me first and second. I wrote a letter thanking him but the b****r never replied!”""

Aye, some turn around.
    I often wonder what would've become of the club if we'd gone down in 76.
    It was us, Dundee and Utd in the frame.
    At the time Dundee were considered a big club in Scottish terms, as big as us probably.
    They've never really recovered from that relegation, albeit forty four years ago now.
    I wonder how things would've played out if we'd gone down then.

They went down on goal difference as well didn’t they?

First year of the premier league?

It's strange, but of all the players of my childhood, I never met The Brush.

I was a member of Stonehaven Supporters Club, and there was always 2 or 3 players at the monthly meeting, but never Davie Robb.

I even knew Guys who worked offshore with him, but he was never on any job I was on.

I suppose that is why I was a fan of his, never meet your idols and all that.
    Last edited by SparkyFaeStoney; 10-07-2022 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyFaeStoney View Post
    It's strange, but of all the players of my childhood, I never met The Brush.

I was a member of Stonehaven Supporters Club, and there was always 2 or 3 players at the monthly meeting, but never Davie Robb.

I even knew Guys who worked offshore with him, but he was never on any job I was on.

I suppose that is why I was a fan of his, never meet your idols and all that.
    Who was running the Stoney club when you were going Min?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast