+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: The Wokeness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    No I was referencing the public reception, not whether the players got pissed up - the adrenalin would have seen to that and got them past the backbiting comments from someone whose career was not blessed with international success, and only managed to finish 5th on Strictly!
    Sorry no idea who you’re having a go at now...but at least it can’t be me.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    the frankly foolish ‘woke’ thread.
    Explain?

Wokeness is a thing just like racism is

Sorry no idea who you’re having a go at now...but at least it can’t be me.
    The Alex Scott woman who I believe made the disparaging report... And I can no more see you on Strictly than I could imagine myself on it

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Explain?

Just look back...especially posts 13-27. Been here before...meaningless phrase that somehow those on the right repeatedly get their knickers in a twist about and those on the left find more laudable.

P.S. Me neither, GP...and I don’t even watch it.

Just look back...especially posts 13-27. Been here before...meaningless phrase that somehow those on the right repeatedly get their knickers in a twist about and those on the left find more laudable.

P.S. Me neither, GP...and I don’t even watch it.
    I've never seen more than half an episode, but my Mumm loves it. She's 90 now which gives us a clue as to the BBC (or is it ITV) target audience

Explain?

Whoever uses the term woke nowadays is perfectly aware that it’s a shortcut into creating outrage. Sadly, there’s money to be made from this as it’s an easy way to generate clicks and engagement online. Take someone like Fox, an actor and singer who became an overnight sensation because he caused such a divisive reaction. Whether people shared the clip of him out of anger or support, they still helped spread his “brand”. As a result, he was invited to loads more appearances, articles were written about him and now he’s firmly in the public eye.

These people know what they’re doing; they know weaponising woke pushes all the wrong buttons in people and only widens their platform. Unfortunately, this is how ‘woke’ has fallen victim to the PR machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    The Alex Scott woman who I believe made the disparaging report... And I can no more see you on Strictly than I could imagine myself on it
    No she made an observation, she certainly isn't an extremist, nor is she prone to hyperbole or someone who most would describe as over the top on these things. She is of course a woman of colour who also played football at a high level and a football pundit and as such is in a perfect position to ask why the current England team isn't more diverse. She was doing no more than that and its a fair question and I'm sure she is also the sort of person who would be willing and able to help attract more diverse players.

Now there is absolutely nothing amiss with that as far as any reasonable sane person would judge. Except that a white right wing **** stirrer, who makes her living being obnoxious and peddling at best half truths, misinterpreted sayings and downright lies. It generates clickbait, it puts them in the public eye and makes them money, they don't give a **** about whats true. There's a guy Alex Jones getting his just deserts in the states at the moment, he is a more successful and nastier version.

On the Hitler parallel, which I'm repeatedly told by AF makes my argument weak (This though by a guy who froths at the mouth over a perceived over representation of ethnic minorities in the media!), I see Sunak is now proposing that they legislate against people who criticise or otherwise belittle this country!

Now that s right out of Hitler's play book - first the Unions, then the academics, then protests, then culture wars, then ultra patriotism - if people really can't see the way the right play these things, then lets just hope those people never have to suffer the end result, as millions of "good" Germans did after they had voted in the psychopath who claimed to be able to restore national pride and restore sovereignty!!

Its quite funny that the very people who claim to be in favour of free speech, get their panties in a bunch when the free speech does not concur with their agenda!

rare that I say this, but that sounds 100% right, Swale. There's no such thing as bad publicity and if your thrive off it, you will use it. That said I have no clue who this Fox is?
    Last edited by Geoff Parkstone; 04-08-2022 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post

On the Hitler parallel, which I'm repeatedly told by AF makes my argument weak (This though by a guy who froths at the mouth over a perceived over representation of ethnic minorities in the media!)!
    I really got under your skin proving you wrong on that didn’t I?

I really got under your skin proving you wrong on that didn’t I?
    If you truly believe that (and I must assume you do) then your rather less bright than I gave you credit for and believe me I haven't credited you with a very high level of cognitive reasoning.

But yes your right I'm beyond peeved at the ferocity of your well thought out "bon moits" D

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)