+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wokeness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I don't think the Knight contract was changed through the admin period so unsure if the same could happen. Otherwise all of our pre September 2021 players would be de facto free agents.

This does seem to be a problem that football as a whole needs to address, otherwise all, eg Chelsea this year, players would become available for nothing and so could negotiate higher wages due to their being no transfer fee.
    Indeed I think your right.

Any chance of providing the clarification I asked for?

The Wokeness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I don't recall suggesting so either, just you leaping to conclusions
    Ah so you were suggesting that, or at the least it was a reasonable conclusion to draw from your post. So either your a liar, or just not very bright, when all i was doing was adding a qualification to a statement. Ah well I guess theres always one or two or more on this Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Ah so you were suggesting that, or at the least it was a reasonable conclusion to draw from your post. So either your a liar, or just not very bright, when all i was doing was adding a qualification to a statement. Ah well I guess theres always one or two or more on this Forum.
    Give it a rest Swale, you were caught out overwoking, end of, move on

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Give it a rest Swale, you were caught out overwoking, end of, move on
    The fact that you actually use the nonsense phrase "overwoking" which is neither a word nor a recognised use of the English language is such a clear demonstration of how sad and misguided you are.

Lets look at the fact here - GP made a mildly amusing post playing on the letters CD and the fact the player came from Brighton.

I light heartedly suggested that not all CD's were gay, which was just a gentle comment. nothing heavy.

GP denied that he had made any such inference. I genuinely responded asking for clarification given I could not see how the inference I had drawn was wrong. Explanation came there none, basically because he was denying what he had in fact inferred through his post.

In the meanwhile you waded in with your size 10's, as often the case, completely missing the point in attempt to wind me up on the basis that I'm over sensitive! So wrong, that wasn't my thoughts, but hey ho, you have your narrow perspective and its shame you don't realise how it makes you appear.

Now actually I don't give a toss about either of you. i know your basically old white blokes, your more gammon than GP in your spluttering protests.

Where woke comes into this is a mystery, its merely a fact that not all CD's are gay, which is basically what I said. Thats not being so called woke, its merely pointing out an inaccuracy in the post.

By the way woke is being alert and aware of injustice in society - people who have an issue with the word woke clearly have a significant problem and should perhaps seek help.
    Last edited by swaledale; 12-07-2022 at 09:30 AM.

I’m puzzled by this term ‘woke’ or ‘overwoking’. Perhaps those, basically Tricky and Andy, who seem slightly obsessed with it it could explain...what does it actually mean?
    From what I can gather it seems to imply having a social conscience and challenging the idea that it is wrong that certain sections of society should be oppressed in some way.
    If that is the case though, why do they seem to always use the term ‘woke’ in a pejorative sense? I mean aren’t the possession of a social conscience and a sense of social justice good and admirable qualities?

P.S. Sorry just noticed that this has been brought up (not by me) on the ‘New signings’ thread which it obviously has nothing to do with. Also noticed that at least two of the candidates for PM appear to be very critical of the ‘woke’ mentality, whatever that is, so maybe any answer would be better off on that thread.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 12-07-2022 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I’m puzzled by this term ‘woke’ or ‘overwoking’. Perhaps those, basically Tricky and Andy, who seem slightly obsessed with it it could explain...what does it actually mean?
    From what I can gather it seems to imply having a social conscience and challenging the idea that it is wrong that certain sections of society should be oppressed in some way.
    If that is the case though, why do they seem to always use the term ‘woke’ in a pejorative sense? I mean aren’t the possession of a social conscience and a sense of social justice good and admirable qualities?

P.S. Sorry just noticed that this has been brought up (not by me) on the ‘New signings’ thread which it obviously has nothing to do with. Also noticed that at least two of the candidates for PM appear to be very critical of the ‘woke’ mentality, whatever that is, so maybe any answer would be better off on that thread.
    You asked so I will reply.

Like many things in modern life, it is a terminolgy hijacked by minority extremism to humiliate/insult/embarrass certain folk.
    It is out of hand and getting tiresome now.

Read this, it sums it up brilliantly.

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2...ecome-so-toxic

If someone woke me, I'd be awake. Those who wear the "woke badge" with pride seem to think the rest of us are sleepwalking through life. They also seem to be the same ones who spend every living hour trawling parts of the net I've never found finding the most outlandish articles that "prove" that the Illuminati/Cabal did just about everything that went bad in the world. They're behind the war in Ukraine. They were behind the manufacture and spread of Covid. They then post cryptic "I told you so" posts on Facebook that I genuinely don't understand.

If that's what woke is, let me sleep.

The Wokeness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    If someone woke me, I'd be awake. Those who wear the "woke badge" with pride seem to think the rest of us are sleepwalking through life. They also seem to be the same ones who spend every living hour trawling parts of the net I've never found finding the most outlandish articles that "prove" that the Illuminati/Cabal did just about everything that went bad in the world. They're behind the war in Ukraine. They were behind the manufacture and spread of Covid. They then post cryptic "I told you so" posts on Facebook that I genuinely don't understand.

If that's what woke is, let me sleep.
    But that is not what woke is, so you can live.

Lets just for the sake of brevity consider this - Woke is a term coined in 1940's America to describe someone who essentially has a social conscience, is aware of injustice etc within society.

Its hurled around as an insult by those on the right, or those who for whatever reason feel threatened by a change in convention - so you know changing chairman to chair person is considered "woke" by some.

Or having a supposed over representation of people with an ethnic minority background in the media (sorry the figures show that recently this has been the case, of course that ignores the fact that for the preceding 50 years that hasn't been the case, but you know frightened white men, its mostly men aren't really logical.

Of course as with every subject there are those who pursue the cause to its most extreme, whether that be transgender issues, race issues or whatever. That's what happens in human society.

On the whole most people aren't bothered by what in the main is a sensible approach to avoiding unnecessary gender/***/race stereotypes being perpetuated in society.

By the way it was AF who popped up and interrupted this football thread with woke insults at me, I merely did a light hearted response to a post by GP.

The Wokeness Thread

Any O/T wokeness shenanigans here please

No idea why my Haydon Roberts post has been moved here...however I’m perfectly happy to be regarded as having a social conscience and a sense of social justice. Always have had...if that makes me ‘woke’ then so be it, but I don’t recall waking.
    Maybe it’s just a combination of common sense and the way I was brought up...for which I remain immensely grateful.

There are aspects of modern life that I disagree with...I, generally, don’t believe in ‘positive discrimination’, I don’t believe that veganism is next to Godliness (whatever that is), I don’t believe that being homo***ual makes people particularly ‘cool’, but neither do I feel remotely threatened by those who do and that seems to be the difference.

I also couldn’t miss the irony identified in Swales’ final sentence (#17). Andy, after all you’ve chucked at me (and Swale) recently you really do need to give yourself a good talking to.

P.S. Just noticed that this thread has allegedly been started by me. It certainly wasn’t Mr. Moderator...indeed my only observation was that I couldn’t understand why the ‘New Signings’ thread had been taken over by ‘woke’ comments. Clearly ‘The Wokeness Thread’ has been started (twice) by no one other than yourself so please use your privilege to clarify that and remove my name from the thread.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 12-07-2022 at 03:08 PM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)