+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Airport closure

O/T Airport closure

Just heard on news that Doncaster/Sheffield airport could go under. Obviously this is not going to have much of an impact on me down here (especially as I don't fly) but it would be a massive blow to South Yorkshire, wouldn't it? Could this possibly happen?
    Last edited by CAMiller; 13-07-2022 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by South Coast Miller View Post
    Just heard on news that Doncaster/Sheffield airport could go under. Obviously this is not going to have much of an impact on me down here (especially as I don't fly) but it would be a massive blow to South Yorkshire, wouldn't it? Could this possibly happen?
    Yes, could easily happen

Not enough flights going out of there, companies not interested

Looks as though the writing is on the wall. Another success for the levelling up agenda

Gutted if this happens. For the people that work there especially, for the airline staff as jobs get squeezed harder etc.

Wizz air pulling out has brought all this on, with only Tui now using the airport it isn't going to be commercially viable to keep it open for passenger flights. There is a six week consultation taking place at the moment but, we all seem to know how they turn out. It's a just going through the motions exercise. Unless someone like Ryan Air step in to fill the slots then I can only see it closing.

Thing I like this airport. Clean, tidy, location being the most important but, I use this airport 3-4 times a year and it's approx 25 minutes from my home. Now I'm looking at East Midlands - M1, Manchester - snake pass, Leeds- don't even mention that place!

As an after thought, considering it's the second longest runway in the UK, you would have thought the Government would step in if only for future emergency security purposes. Then again, they can just commandeer it if need arise.

Yes a very sad state if it goes, levelling up the north/south divide heh.....my arse!

The company that own it, Peel, are looking at a possible large scale manufacturing site or even housing. Considering the land, you're looking at a LOT of houses on there.
    Last edited by Brin; 13-07-2022 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Gutted if this happens. For the people that work there especially, for the airline staff as jobs get squeezed harder etc.

Wizz air pulling out has brought all this on, with only Tui now using the airport it isn't going to be commercially viable to keep it open for passenger flights. There is a six week consultation taking place at the moment but, we all seem to know how they turn out. It's a just going through the motions exercise. Unless someone like Ryan Air step in to fill the slots then I can only see it closing.

Thing I like this airport. Clean, tidy, location being the most important but, I use this airport 3-4 times a year and it's approx 25 minutes from my home. Now I'm looking at East Midlands - M1, Manchester - snake pass, Leeds- don't even mention that place!

As an after thought, considering it's the second longest runway in the UK, you would have thought the Government would step in if only for future emergency security purposes. Then again, they can just commandeer it if need arise.

Yes a very sad state if it goes, levelling up the north/south divide heh.....my arse!

The company that own it, Peel, are looking at a possible large scale manufacturing site or even housing. Considering the land, you're looking at a LOT of houses on there.

Wasn’t it Peel that closed Sheffield Airport?

I believe Jet2 were looking at one time to fly from Doncaster Robin Hood airport, plus Ryanair,
    but it seemed Tui had the monopoly on the airport.
    Doncaster like other small airports don't get the subsidies like the big airports get, Heathrow,
    Gatwick, Manchester & Birmingham being the main airports, getting the subsidies.
    One thing Doncaster doesn't do is charge for dropping off, picking up passengers, unlike other
    airports.
    We are due to fly from Doncaster in October to Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Wasn’t it Peel that closed Sheffield Airport?
    They didn't buy it until 2002, by which time the airport had virtually gone. They made a tidy profit though by selling land for the Sheffield Business Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    I believe Jet2 were looking at one time to fly from Doncaster Robin Hood airport, plus Ryanair,
    but it seemed Tui had the monopoly on the airport.
    Doncaster like other small airports don't get the subsidies like the big airports get, Heathrow,
    Gatwick, Manchester & Birmingham being the main airports, getting the subsidies.
    One thing Doncaster doesn't do is charge for dropping off, picking up passengers, unlike other
    airports.
    We are due to fly from Doncaster in October to Turkey
    ELK, that's the point I'm making about levelling up and supporting the airport with subsidies. I don't think it's all about Tui having the monopoly on the airport stopping other from flying from Donny, as they only fly about 6 flights a day from there. You probably mean key time slots but there's plenty of time available from the airport it's how they fit it all into the flight paths of other aircraft leaving Manc, Liverpool, Leeds etc all flying to the same destinations as Tui from Donny as they all hit central England at some point.

Had to laugh when Peel got the airport, I checked for parking prices, they sent me a
    e-mail saying, why not park at our Wakefield car park, & they would ferry me to
    Doncaster Airport & back.
    Thing is has I entered on the booking form, I was coming to the airport from Swinton,
    South Yorkshire.
    Glad they don't do sat-navs

I'm due to fly out in August and November from Donny, hope it don't close before then!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast