+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nowhere near enough signings

Quote Originally Posted by GBruno View Post
    Ahh one of the dirty unread bigots were you?
    This escalated quickly I've not been on here for a while, but definitely feels like I missed something!

Quote Originally Posted by GBruno View Post
    I'm getting a little worried now with the lack of signings.

City, Arsenal, Manu, West Ham, Leeds, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and maybe others (Forest?) have all spent more than us.

I realise there may be more to come but they are going to miss pre-season training with the team now, which isn't ideal.

I want to see 2-3 big signings before the season starts. Winger, striker and midfielder. Anything less will be a disappointment.

As it stands, we are going to be a low scoring team this season, though solid defensively.
    I think if you set it off against a reasonable set of expectations, if we fail to bring in any more players in this window then we'll likely still avoid the sort of flirtation with relegation that has been the norm over the past 10-15 years. I think everyone - fan, player, club official, etc. - knows that we need some attacking options to really start to set the cat amongst the pigeons, but it's surely better that we look for the right deals. The Wood transfer shows what can happen if you're simply trying to avoid the house burning down. Now the fires are (hopefully) out, we can start to get rid of all the damaged goods and have a proper think about what we want the new house to look like. The business we've done actually gives me a lot of hope on this front - Bruno seems like a genuinely invested, down-to-earth lad, as does Targett. For me, having a side I'm proud of is the main concern, so I'm glad we're not out buying Richarlison or Ronaldo simply because we need attacking players and they want away (or their clubs want shot of them).

I'm with you in that it'll be a disappointment if we don't land a striker. But I don't think it's for want of trying. It's clear we were in for Ekitike, and that he was our number one target, and for reasons beyond our control he's ended up at PSG. But think on that for a moment... we're losing out on players to mega-rich Champions League clubs, largely because the player is a fan of that club too. Last summer, we were losing out to newly promoted sides, largely because they showed more ambition and had a better chance of staying up than we did.

Yes we need more up front,but there is 45 days left in this window and the club are still looking at strikers.

Having said that I am disappointed that Jesus went to the Gooners,he had plenty of assists when he played on the wing for Citeh and goals when he played up front.In my opinion he would have been ideal for us in this stage of our redevelopment.

If reports in the papers are true,Eddie is playing a dangerous game relying on Wilson & Wood.If/when Wilson gets injured again, Howe will face a barrage of criticism which we could do without in the current positive era.Wood may thrive from better service if we sign another winger but again, his track record isn't exactly prolific.
    There is another theory though that Eddie is playing down the need for a new striker in the hope that we can recruit later in the window at a realistic fee - unlike Ekitike.

Quote Originally Posted by jacapus View Post
    If reports in the papers are true.
    That's the problem right there, imo.

To me, it looks like we're trying for forward players but are being thwarted by a number of issues-the 'Newcastle tax' being one of the main ones but, also, our lack of European competition and the fact that we're at the beginning of our 'project' and therefore a risk for players (in their minds).

It's also possibly a reflection of the calibre of player we're going for-better players will have a range of attractive options, most of which will involve playing in Europe.

As the season approaches, i suspect we may soften our stance in terms of the price we're prepared to pay (whether wages/fee or both) and that might be enough to tip the balance. And we will do that if we need to-look at how much we paid for Wood (and, being honest, most of us thought we overpaid at the time)

It's frustrating but we'll get someone in-I don't believe for a second that Howe would be happy starting the season with just Wilson and Wood.

I'm convinced, going on the work they have done and the experienced bodies on the job that must be a few deals in the offing that we aren't aware of (and why would we be and all of the opposition for that matter) there will be at least two/three quality players brought in at least.

Just look at the quality of the players we have been genuinely linked with, the quality of the players who have been tied up.

Be patient, we are in good capable hands and be grateful that we are where we are and have an unlimited future to look forward to.

You young'uns in 10/20 years time will look back to where we were start of last season and thank your lucky stars that you support this club.

Ashley got us to the point where Toon fan can’t even in their wildest dreams expect that solid signing can come in during final days or even hours of transfer window

This season (even few next) is about rebuilding, if we don’t get the right players now, we’ll get them next time. It can cost the team few wins and couple places, but no need to rush things at all

In the early part of the year, the powers that be decided that infrastructure of clubs would fall under FFP. So because of the money that had to be spent on stadium improvements, training ground improvements and improvements in the academy side of the club, it was always going to impact on signings this Summer.
    Years of neglect and FFP is what's slowing down players coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie1974 View Post
    In the early part of the year, the powers that be decided that infrastructure of clubs would fall under FFP. So because of the money that had to be spent on stadium improvements, training ground improvements and improvements in the academy side of the club, it was always going to impact on signings this Summer.
    Years of neglect and FFP is what's slowing down players coming in.
    Just right Geordie. They are doing it the right way. Laying firm solid foundations first then getting ready to build and improve each window.

Assuming they stick to this approach there won't be any setbacks, obviously we will get the knockbacks with transfers but for every position we need to cover there will be a good few young players we can go for so it's not the end of the world if we don't tie up the first choice.

https://www.skysports.com/football/l...#liveblog-body

I know there is time, I just feel like we aren't going to keep up. Even a couple of Targett like signings would be great.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)