+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sevilla interest

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    I see by the resurrection of an old thread that's what I said.
    Good god imagine saying something negative at the start of a season when we just sold our only source of goals at the time and come off the back of a serious slump in form.
    I should of been dancing with joy shouldn't I?
    While whistling a happy tune.
    No, its just worth remembering what was said last summer. You thought we would go down, hated Mowbray and wanted him out.
    We finished 8th after you said they would go down. But you weren't happy with 8th.
    Mowbray has gone. But you don't seem overly happy or willing to give the manager and new structure a chance.
    So where does that leave Rovers? On a loser before a ball has been kicked.
    And even if we manage to finish at the other end of the table for once its still not good enough.
    It doesn't always have to be impending doom, we may like last year actually go on and have a good season overall.
    But then like I keep wondering, unless we achieve something completely unrealistic it will be deemed a massive failure every pre-season anyway. I just feel they can't win either way, and like I say, if I was that decent manager I would be choosing another club. As its either achieve an massively unreal expectation or go.
    The be solution is not to financially cripple and risk the whole clubs future to over-spend in this current economy. They may spend a little of the £20m brought in by the sale of our only good saleable asset. Who won't get one single offer of £20m because clubs simply won't risk that. So that will not be happening.
    But then we were convinced we would go down last season because Armstrong left. Yet we actually got much better as a side.
    Maybe we know nothing and just make endless poor predictions, and we can hold up our hands and acknowledge that from time to time. Because generally speaking, we are often completely incorrect.
    I feel the fact Rothwell in particular leaving makes us better. Because Buckley is a far far better player. While I didnt mind TM, he didnt have a clue what to do with him. A decent manager will. I bet JDT knows what to do with him. And sorry but Lenihan was someone you said almost every week was not good enough. As you cant have said TM still hasn't sorted the defence out after 5 years which he was a part of 99% of the time. He was a huge reason we under-performed for so long. Rothwell was a waste of space.
    But I see them leaving as a positive. One is replaced by a far better player. The other will be replaced by a loan player. In the past 4/5 season the very very best loan players have come to this club. Tosin, Harvey Elliott, Van Hecke. So while its very easy to be negative, its also worth remembering what we get right in a way of balancing up a view-point. We have been getting loans right for a very long time.
    Our over-all transfer business has been decent for years. But yet Venkys still get questioned. people say ..yes I know we are £200m and quickly move on to make their point. Don't. Stay on the £200m debt. And go no further.
    Last edited by champs95; 18-07-2022 at 06:57 PM.

Right the elephant in the room
    We had just finished the season on appalling form and sold Armstrong to not invest any of it(bar loans)I was talking about my fears because let's be honest it felt justified.
    A uninterested manager and a big source of goals gone.
    I was concerned and I show my concern again with the lack of activity in the transfer market.
    Arguably the smallest squad we have had for years and it's the injuries that hit hard on teams like us.
    finally JDT I like what he is saying and I am happy with the identity he is trying to form.
    Time will tell if he is the man for the job.

Right the elephant in the room
    We had just finished the season on appalling form and sold Armstrong to not invest any of it(bar loans)I was talking about my fears because let's be honest it felt justified.
    A uninterested manager and a big source of goals gone.
    I was concerned and I show my concern again with the lack of activity in the transfer market.
    Arguably the smallest squad we have had for years and it's the injuries that hit hard on teams like us.
    finally JDT I like what he is saying and I am happy with the identity he is trying to form.
    Time will tell if he is the man for the job.
    Yet after your completely wrote them off, those no hopers and useless manager went on to finish 8th and had it not been for a an almighty injury list and loss of our best player we would have gotten in the play offs, maybe even gone up.
    And that was still not good enough for you. Despite writing them off and them having a great season, the best season points wise for over a decade and the highest league finish in that time, you still said it was not good enough.
    You may be completely wrong yet again Robin.
    But lets face it, it wont be good enough either way.

Yes they did go on to get a good finish of 8th but let's not paper over the fact we had ANOTHER post Christmas slump to go from 2nd to 8th.
    Mowbray adopted his usual arms crossed look.
    Yes 8th was a good finish with a squad I thought would struggle but where we were to where we ended up also shouldn't be forgotten about.
    I want to be surprised again despite what you think my views are.
    I can only gauge on what I see now,a thin squad with a very inexperienced defence now I they go on to achieve a decent position at the end of the season then great but currently I can't see it.

Yes they did go on to get a good finish of 8th but let's not paper over the fact we had ANOTHER post Christmas slump to go from 2nd to 8th.
    Mowbray adopted his usual arms crossed look.
    Yes 8th was a good finish with a squad I thought would struggle but where we were to where we ended up also shouldn't be forgotten about.
    I want to be surprised again despite what you think my views are.
    I can only gauge on what I see now,a thin squad with a very inexperienced defence now I they go on to achieve a decent position at the end of the season then great but currently I can't see it.
    Again, unbalanced and only focusing on the negatives. You are either a glass half full kind of guy, or a glass half full.
    A side you had down as a relegation side, went on to beat a club record. Even in the Prem days with an expensively bought side, who where the best around never produced form that saw us rise from nowhere to second. We won 8 out of 10 games. It was a massive achievement and broke a club record. While the glass half full people will just remember a 0-7 home defeat to Fulham, they quickly and conveniently forget what happened next.
    That side you completely wrote off made you look a bit daft. They ran into the best form an Rovers side has ever ran into. Better than the King Kenny days, better than the Souness days, better than the Hughes days, better than the Allardyce days. You stated they would go down and said the manager was a joke. Yet they produced a brilliant run of form depsite having no players. Despite losing their only source of goals they were incorrectly labelled by their own fans. And put them in a great position as a club. Far better than you predicted. But because they failed to hold onto a completely unrealistic position, all you can remember is the poor run of form. Not a single mention of the run that put them there in the fist place. Not even acknowledged. Every defeat highlighted, every single win not even mentioned.
    There has to be a tiny bit of balance used, or you are just obsessing over the negatives. And only the negatives.
    I just think that's odd, unhealthy and makes no sense. I'm not even sure you enjoyed the winning streak, as you where focused on when we would next lose. Too focused on the negatives means you will always miss the good things.

We are a small poor club in lancashire Robin, historically we have not won much over the years, it has always been like this.
    Nothing much has changed apart from when Jack Walker bought us success that was never ours. It was shop bought. Once that money ran out we went straight back to that little club that will win some and lose some.
    Its unhealthy to just focus on any negative. Its affects your ability to acknowledge all the good things happening.

If you finish 8th after your own fans completely wrote you off pre-season, that should be a considered a decent season.

Yes it was a good finishing position in terms of where many thought we would finish(including myself)we looked really good on many occasions in the 2 months of decent form and raised expectations of all our fanbase including the most negative only to of been disappointed.
    If you said to me 8th at the beginning,I would of snapped your hand off however if you said 8th after being 2nd and going on a 4 month wobble,it does tend to taint the achievement.
    You claim I wouldn't of enjoyed the run we went on...ridiculous
    Any football supporter long for their team to do well so to claim I wouldn't be enjoying it,is so typically you.
    Anyway didn't you say we should change things with mowbray as its all gone a bit stale or should we brush over that.
    After all nobody is allowed an opinion unless its yours.
    Isn't that why it's just us on this forum now?

I just feel Rovers can't win. And I pointed out why.
    It's crazy rationalising as how you can you in one hand you say you would be happy with 8th then unhappy because of where we were in Jan.
    Football leagues don't run for 21 games, they never have.
    You know as well as I do, that football simply doesn't work that way.
    We can sit all day and blame Mowbray for everything.
    You will sum it all up as the normal mid season blip. Which simplifies something that isn't simple.
    Football leagues run for 46 games.
    You make your analysis after that time, or predict before it.
    We lost our main goal threat to injury, and he faded after that. He was the only reason we where doing well. Lose him, you lose everything.
    To blame Mowbray, not even acknowledge that is I feel unfair. And why Rovers can't win.
    You know aswell as I do losing Brereton was pretty much game over. Look back at the season. You can clearly see it a mile away.
    Was that really Tony Mowbrays fault> As you have simplified a very specific situation in which various factors played a domino effect, starting with us losing our main and best player.
    That is my opinion which is why I am saying, which I am just as entitled as you.
    I'm not saying I am correct, and you aren't, I am saying we differ on our opinions.
    I said I felt things had gotten stale under Mowbray. I stand by that. But I did also say he was not going anywhere, like it or not. And he stayed and we went on to have a very good last season. I said we would finish around 13th, we finished 8th, which was far better.
    I felt people who had decided he should go, where all very quick to blame him once things went off the rails. But went quiet in the few months everything was going well. Looking at it, I felt folk where sat waiting to say ...told you so ...rather than just enjoying a very good run of form. That's how it came across to me. He could not have won last season, had he been poor, he would have been hounded out. Had we done well, people still said it was a let down to fall away. The only thing he could have done to appease everyone is win promotion. Which they simply were nowhere near good enough to do. And it was unrealistic (even in Jan) to expect them to stay in the top 2. The fact Bournemouth went on to spend a fortune and buy half a new side, and try unsettle our player, would have easily put pay to that anyway. Yes, it was very disappointing to fall away. But look at the reason why. I just can't agree it was all down to Mowbray and the injury to such a key player at such a key time did not play a major factor.

I felt over summer fans worried over a new manager. They predicted and feared the very worst. I feel we ended up with a decent one. I also like Broughton very much too. I think we took our time, and got the right people in.
    But fans wanted all that done very quickly as they worried non stop and went to the negative end of the scale.

Once that new manager etc where brought in, they then moved onto worrying and fearing the very very worst about potential new transfers. And because this is not being done in a timescale they decide, that is unrealistic (like with the manager) they go to the negative end of the scale.

once each issue is addressed, its onto the next issue. the kit, the colour of the blue used, the grass on the pitch at Ewood, the training ground, the kit man. It's exhausting.

I fear for Rovers and JDT, as I feel this negative outlook as its all a little ott. Imo
    Last edited by champs95; 20-07-2022 at 06:11 PM.

Yeah, I drove 564 people away personally. pretty impressive.

I speak to Saxo more now on FB than I ever did here. And Big Moon, a few others. Sven aswell.

The fact of the matter is this,if I say we will struggle due to the lack of signings and our thin squad,its my opinion and it might not be right but its just that an opinion.
    If you say we will do ok then that's your opinion and I respect that.
    What is grinding is the fact of the bashing of my opinion because you didn't agree with it,to the point of hashing a old thread just to do the old I told you so.
    You know the one you just moaned about with the anti mowbray lot.
    I spoke about people drove away and it was a sweeping generalisation and I apologise for that.
    I do remember aucks being a very positive chap and roundly attacked for being just that.
    Now you have taken that exact approach and I am being bashed for being negative 🙃

The fact of the matter is this,if I say we will struggle due to the lack of signings and our thin squad,its my opinion and it might not be right but its just that an opinion.
    If you say we will do ok then that's your opinion and I respect that.
    What is grinding is the fact of the bashing of my opinion because you didn't agree with it,to the point of hashing a old thread just to do the old I told you so.
    You know the one you just moaned about with the anti mowbray lot.
    I spoke about people drove away and it was a sweeping generalisation and I apologise for that.
    I do remember aucks being a very positive chap and roundly attacked for being just that.
    Now you have taken that exact approach and I am being bashed for being negative 🙃
    I miss them and yes, I accept I can be annoying. All I was doing was reminding us both that we say alot of the same stuff every season, and generally speaking we are usually ok. I'll stop being like this as I get I am being annoying, I don't mean to come across a certain way, I do see why though.
    I am not even that positive, I just don't think its all as bad as some think it is.

It could be far worse, you could be Ryan Nyambe, acting like the big man, then getting a 1 year contract at Wigan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)