+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Janis Ian - At Seventean

1976. Janis Ian. Album - Between The Lines. Track - Watercolors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0zloTLbx8o

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Caravan’s ‘In the Land of Grey and Pink’ also on vinyl. Music made in 1971/2 and still being pressed onto plastic.
    I've just caught up with listening to Johnnie Walkers Sounds of the 70's and after having to endure Wishbone Ash sing Blowing Wind or summat like that (I nearly dropped off during the guitar solo,sorry) somebody nominated that very album for Johnies Juke Box where you can put a song into the best Juke Box ever built,any way the track was Golf Girl which to be honest was proper naff....

Standing on a golf course,dressed in pvc,I chanced upon a golf girl selling cups of tea... Smoking exotic fags that morning I'm presuming 😏

P.S.

The face out was waaaay to long on Golf Girl and far to much time given to the bloke with the penny whistle,did he stand on one leg when he recorded it or is that just that bloke from Tull?

Wash your mouth out. Tull only - Ian Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw2 View Post

Standing on a golf course,dressed in pvc,I chanced upon a golf girl selling cups of tea... Smoking exotic fags that morning I'm presuming 😏
    After giving it another listen I now realise that it's the girl dressed in pvc and not the singer which makes more sense tbf

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw2 View Post
    After giving it another listen I now realise that it's the girl dressed in pvc and not the singer which makes more sense tbf
    The writer married the girl in real life.

"Golf Girl is the track that opens the album. Written by bass player Richard Sinclair, this is a personal song that took his domestic life as its inspiration – more specifically, the story of how he met his wife. The song is a charmingly naïve story about falling in love with the lady who sells tea at the golf course, and finding a secluded spot safe from flying golf balls where they can share a first kiss."

I thought you were a romantic Chalky.

https://norselandsrock.com/golf-girl-caravan/

Thanks for the link howoldboy,I found it quite interesting to the point where I looked on YouTube for them playing it in Germany (have all prog bands got those three tier Rick Wakeman organs?),anyway I think that maybe I was being to dismissive of Golf Girl when I first heard it but maybe that as because I had only heard of the album when griff mentioned it and there it was on Sounds of the 70's,I wish that they had kept the extra verse in as it would have continued with the tale and you are right howoldboy,I bloody love a good love song so I'm gonna give it a 8/10 as it kinda grew on me after the story and several plays

Anything out of the Canterbury scene needs to grow on you. A lot of it can be a difficult first listen especially if it involves blokes called Wyatt or Fripp. Worth sticking with though, it all beats any 3 minute pop-pap any day.
    Last edited by griff; 10-08-2022 at 07:07 AM.

Is that Robert Fripp,the last time that I saw him he was putting out cover versions on YouTube with his Mrs Toyah Wilcox,quite enjoyed some of those tbh but I'm presuming there're nothing like his prog work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)