+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: A New Day Dawns...

BT I understand what you are saying. It’s just that I think City would be better off to get Delap out on loan somewhere ,to gain experience, rather than languishing behind the strikers Pep has to choose from right now. Just because they’ve turned down a big offer, doesn’t mean to say they don’t want him to develop temporarily at another club. Surely it’s a win-win situation for the player, and the two clubs involved ?Plus he’d be managed by a Citeh legend, and only up the road where Pep could keep an eye on him.

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    BT I understand what you are saying. It’s just that I think City would be better off to get Delap out on loan somewhere ,to gain experience, rather than languishing behind the strikers Pep has to choose from right now. Just because they’ve turned down a big offer, doesn’t mean to say they don’t want him to develop temporarily at another club. Surely it’s a win-win situation for the player, and the two clubs involved ?Plus he’d be managed by a Citeh legend, and only up the road where Pep could keep an eye on him.
    I am surprised this move did not gain any traction.Like you Malwayne,I think it is a win-win situation for both the clubs and the player..Maybe they are waiting to see if the Saints come in with a bigger offer.

Apparently Pep rates him very highly , stating “ he gives them something they don’t currently have”. Its just that with Haaland and others in front of him, I don’t see him making any real breakthrough anytime soon. Pep is not that daft , to realise this.

City are buggers to deal with and they are rich enough to hang on to assets for as long as they want.
    We had their 3rd or 4th choice goalie on loan last season - a young prospect - and he did OK so we tried to sign him knowing he'll never get a game for City, but they would have none of it, so he's back on loan again. We'll develop him and then they'll flog him off to some money club when he's good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    A New Day Dawns…

There can be little doubt of the seismic changes that have gone on inside Turf Moor within the last four months.

After a decade at the Clarets helm Sean Dyche was fired, interim first team manager Michael Jackson did his best to keep the EPL ship floating, but ultimately a poor season on the field of play meant relegation to the Championship became inevitable.
    Burnley chairman Alan Pace stated the club’s financial situation following relegation meant the playing squad would be overhauled and ex-City captain was duly appointed first team manager from Belgian club Anderlecht. Defensive stalwarts James Tarkowski, Nick Pope and Ben Mee have all left the club leaving a defensive black hole that will take some filling.

Other high wage earners have left Turf Moor; Nathan Collins has joined Wolverhampton Wanderers and it seems likely the exodus of big salaried players may soon be departing Burnley Football Club through the ever-revolving door on Harry Potts Way. Dwight McNeil and Maxwell Cornet are believed to be the subject of imminent big money bids, which leaves Kompany with some awkward decisions for the Clarets opening fixture against Huddersfield Town on Friday 29th July at the John Smith Stadium.

A match preview with less than six days to go until the start of the new Championship would usually be hard enough, but with new faces likely to arrive and old faces likely to depart from Turf Moor before the new season kicks off, makes the job doubly difficult.

The Terriers will be determined to start a new campaign with a home win whilst Vincent Kompany’s new look Clarets will be equally determined to open with a rewarding result.

Media reports suggest Kompany will try to replicate Pep Guardiola’s style of play from his Manchester City playing days and a 4-2-2-2 formation seems the obvious opening day shape for Burnley. The Clarets manager must be able to integrate old heads with the raft of new young players who have arrived at turf Moor within the last few weeks and that will be no walk in the park even for a disciple of Guardiola’s keep the ball and score at will strategy.

I expect us to kick off the new campaign with a starting eleven that will look something like this: Muric, Roberts, Long, Harwood-Bellis, Taylor, Cullen, Brownhill, Bastien, Cornet, McNeil, and Rodriguez. Of course, this predicted line up is dependent on the speed of the revolving door at Turf Moor within the next five days.

Attachment 22207

A new day may well be dawning but Vincent Kompany has one heck of a job on his hands sorting out the turmoil of the last four months at Turf Moor.
    Do you know BT the more I thought about this and your statement re sorting things out it dawned on me that , the stuff behind the scenes is irrelevant, we have bought players who have moved to us to progress their careers and signed lucrative improved wage contracts, but the important thing above all that is they are getting paid to play football - the turmoil at the turf never entered their heads, whenever I played I can honestly say nothing would have changed / influenced my thoughts re playing the beautiful game ( after boot inspections the game was all I cared about ).

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    Do you know BT the more I thought about this and your statement re sorting things out it dawned on me that , the stuff behind the scenes is irrelevant, we have bought players who have moved to us to progress their careers and signed lucrative improved wage contracts, but the important thing above all that is they are getting paid to play football - the turmoil at the turf never entered their heads, whenever I played I can honestly say nothing would have changed / influenced my thoughts re playing the beautiful game ( after boot inspections the game was all I cared about ).
    I hope our new lads share your imperious optimism and nice thoughts army88, be nice if they do. Watching England ladies last night you got a sense of the joy playing football not restricted by the fear of losing can bring.

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    It's just not going to happen Mal, they are currently in negotiations with Southampton, they don't see a striker who could develop his career in the Championship, they see pound notes, 20 million plus of them. They will not loan out a player who they can sell for £20 million plus. If the deal falls through and no one else is interested, they might look at it, but right at this moment they wouldn't even pick up the phone to Vinni.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I hope our new lads share your imperious optimism and nice thoughts army88, be nice if they do. Watching England ladies last night you got a sense of the joy playing football not restricted by the fear of losing can bring.
    Agreed BT , I think our senior mens team could learn a thing or two off the ladies, kind of a freedom in the way they play.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    "I expect us to kick off the new campaign with a starting eleven that will look something like this: Muric, Roberts, Long, Harwood-Bellis, Taylor, Cullen, Brownhill, Bastien, Cornet, McNeil, and Rodriguez. Of course, this predicted line up is dependent on the speed of the revolving door at Turf Moor within the next five days."

There's one glaring omission I think in that line up BT, although you may well have it right. Jack Cork would be the first name on the team sheet for me, away to Huddersfield with an untried central defensive unit, we need someone parked in front of the back four who knows what he's doing, Jack does. Jack Cork and ten others is my team.
    So Vinni saw it exactly like I did BT, and parked Jack in front of our central defence. We're in for a good season, the manager sees the game just the way I do, if he's in alignment with me, what could possibly go wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    So Vinni saw it exactly like I did BT, and parked Jack in front of our central defence. We're in for a good season, the manager sees the game just the way I do, if he's in alignment with me, what could possibly go wrong ?
    A nice blend of younger players and old heads usually works sinkov. I like the cut of Vinny's cloth, I think we are in for an interesting season. My youngest lad and my eldest grandson are already creaming their kecks in anticipation.

I have been given detailed instructions on how to go about securing tickets, transport and accommodation when needed for our away fixtures.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)