+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 22/23 Prediction

I'm going to stick my neck out - finish in the play offs and lose in the final!

I think we will see more academy players being used this season, don't think we will have any choice, but mixed in with some experinced players and a couple of good premiere league youngsters on loan.

I disagree that players are free because they are not quality - sure some of the guys signed are at the tail end of their careers, though a number are more than good enough at this level.

Players can be "free" for any number of reasons - and a quite a few very good player sin the premier league and elsewhere have been on free transfers - a player can choose to run a contract down, so he has a better choice of where to go next, a club can choose not to renew a contract as their wage bill is too high, or they want to replace that player with a younger/different player, they have been relegated.

At championship level and below clubs often choose not to renew contracts until they know whether relegation/promotion is on the cards.

I'm quite impressed with recruitment so far, of course so many variables such as injuries and suspensions can affect how we perform but I'm confident it will be a season of hope and we won't be bottom half.

Resurrecton of what we thought as the season started.

Mystic Stale looks to be the clsest so far, so now I can be accused of being the rear gunner

Otherwise we've done better than anyone else expected - or were we just all cautiously putting a finger in the water

Still a long way to go but I for one have upgraded my expectation to playoff-ish but not promotion. Lets hope Im still being cautious!

Let's hope we're all surprised, couldn't be happier with how it's gone so far

Yep, Swale and RamShank (#10) seem closest...although strangely my ‘a couple of decent signings - a midfield general and a goal scorer perhaps - and then maybe the play offs’ still rings true...especially the ‘midfield general’. Oh for a Leon Osman Mk2 ‘magic’ signing and who’d heard of him before he ‘landed’ 19 (?!) years ago?

Be disappointed if we don’t make the play offs now. It’ll be a bonus on what we thought back in the summer but I’ll now predict that we finish on 96 points which would have comfortably won the league last year. It’s a very different scenario this season though and even with that total I can’t see us troubling the top two.
    We’ll see, but the play offs are within reach and it looks like coming down to luck with injuries, suspensions and good recruitment from now on to me.

55 points from the remaining 22 games,? That's a highly optimistic 2.5 points a game across half a season. Means we need to win all remaining home games, win 6 away draw 4 and lose 1 (or equivalent)..

We could go unbeaten until the end of the season and still not get to 96!

That form is equivalent of 115 points in a full season. The current record is 103 by Wolves. No team attaining 96 points have failed to get automatic promotion, only one Blackburn has got that many points and not won the division.

I admire your optimism more than your maths!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Resurrecton of what we thought as the season started.

Mystic Stale looks to be the clsest so far, so now I can be accused of being the rear gunner

Otherwise we've done better than anyone else expected - or were we just all cautiously putting a finger in the water

Still a long way to go but I for one have upgraded my expectation to playoff-ish but not promotion. Lets hope Im still being cautious!
    Mm mistype or are you just being an @rse?

It was a reasoned prediction based on what I thought of the squad.

Unless we get decimated by injuries/suspensions then I remain confident we can achieve top 6, after that as we all know its a lottery, Ipswich Wednesday and Plymouth look to be the teams likely to fill the two automatic promotion places, unless two of those suffer a drop in form then I can't see Derby sneaking in.

On paper one of the above 3 will be the team to beat in the play offs, but it can be the case that the team missing out on automatic promotion doesn't recover from the disappointment.

On the subject of new signings, I'm really not that bothered, this squad seems to have gelled amazingly well. Yes a couple of recruits to provide some cover and a right back would be good, but given the restrictions Derby are operating under I am not expecting much to happen.

55 points from the remaining 22 games,? That's a highly optimistic 2.5 points a game across half a season. Means we need to win all remaining home games, win 6 away draw 4 and lose 1 (or equivalent)..

We could go unbeaten until the end of the season and still not get to 96!

That form is equivalent of 115 points in a full season. The current record is 103 by Wolves. No team attaining 96 points have failed to get automatic promotion, only one Blackburn has got that many points and not won the division.

I admire your optimism more than your maths!!
    Yep...criticism perfectly justified. You always admire everything more than my maths and it is maybe a bit optimistic. However I was mocked a little by some back in October for suggesting we’d be in a play off position by Christmas.

I said then that, with the right additions and a little luck, we could have a strong second half. We’ve dropped silly points too often, still invariably without losing, and if we can continue the improvement then I don’t think another 45 points is beyond us...but who can tell?

It’s a strange league and a strange season. Almost two leagues in one with the top three already all being half way to 100 points after only fractionally over half the season. I don’t see a great deal of change in the current top six and virtually all the bottom half have to be looking over their shoulders at possible relegation.

It’s just a guesstimate really...a bit of fun. I may well be wrong...but I hope you are...and whatever the points total I D predict that we’ll finish in the playoffs.

"I said then that, with the right additions and a little luck, we could have a strong second half. We’ve dropped silly points too often, still invariably without losing, and if we can continue the improvement then I don’t think another 45 points is beyond us...but who can tell?"

45 may not be quite such a stretch, but you initially said 55 from 22 to get to 96 points. 86 points would see us comfortably in the playoffs I reckon based on historic data: all we have to do is get them!

Im very pleasantly surprised by our position, and think we are improving.

Hopefully we can have a good January transfer window and push on.

I think it will be play offs now but think we will win them.

"I said then that, with the right additions and a little luck, we could have a strong second half. We’ve dropped silly points too often, still invariably without losing, and if we can continue the improvement then I don’t think another 45 points is beyond us...but who can tell?"

45 may not be quite such a stretch, but you initially said 55 from 22 to get to 96 points. 86 points would see us comfortably in the playoffs I reckon based on historic data: all we have to do is get them!
    Yep...fair cop...my bad (maths)...41 + 45 = 86!! Still a tad hungover. Anyway that’s my prediction...we’ll finish in the top six on 86 (!) points.

Any other points guesses. Do your own maths...much safer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)