+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cal Sold to Aberdeen

I don't think it helped fans giving Carl that stupid nick name.

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    I don't think it helped fans giving Carl that stupid nick name.
    What? Carl

Ian Burchnall do you know what they're worth.....
    I guess so. Well, one of them anyway!
    Cal..150k
    Reuben...?

We lose Cal AND a song

Good bit of business and from the comments I've read everyone understands and appreciates why its been done.
    Aberdeen are on TV this Sunday - away at Celtic. Might have to have a watch with two ex Notts players there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie_Stu View Post
    Good bit of business and from the comments I've read everyone understands and appreciates why its been done.
    Not sure on that. I understand why it's been done, the model is obviously to spot talent, utilise it, and sell on at a profit. Great for the coffers, but it only works for me if we use the profit to move us up the leagues.

I see the sale of Cal Roberts as less likely to move us up than more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Not sure on that. I understand why it's been done, the model is obviously to spot talent, utilise it, and sell on at a profit. Great for the coffers, but it only works for me if we use the profit to move us up the leagues.

I suppose that’s dependent on who comes in. It’s reassuring that the club statement suggests the money will be put back in to the squad and that we have a contingency that we are working on with LW.
    Although I’m disappointed that we won’t see Cal in a Notts shirt again, we knew that this is the model that the owners have implemented, and as such our best players were at some point going to move on.

... (opinion) ... like most 'good' players, particularly forwards, he has that greedy streak which paid off both for Notts and him. Unfortunately, following his serious injury he seemed to come back a different player - more sullen/introverted. It seemed, perhaps, that he had time to reflect on his (own) apparent worth which gave the appearance (on the pitch) of him thinking he was/is worth more than he actually is. It made me look at him even closer regarding his attitude on the pitch and I was frequently disappointed with some of his decision making. As ever, one player doesn't make a team and supporters will eventually get over this exit; probably more quickly than we could imagine. Thank you and good-bye.

Agree, if we had got 400-500k I’d see it as success and an opportunity to use it well to help promotion but 75k upfront isn’t exactly a war chest. I just hope we have a sell on clause too which may help us further down the line if he kicks on.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I suppose that’s dependent on who comes in. It’s reassuring that the club statement suggests the money will be put back in to the squad and that we have a contingency that we are working on with LW.
    Although I’m disappointed that we won’t see Cal in a Notts shirt again, we knew that this is the model that the owners have implemented, and as such our best players were at some point going to move on.
    I think it’s the case whatever the model, he’s ambitious and deserves to play at a higher level and there’s no point trying to stop him.

While I agree with what you say, not much a club can do if the lad wants a move though. With possibly double or triple wages on offer, who can blame him? Reading between the lines it does seem that we held out till they matched our valuation of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I suppose that’s dependent on who comes in.

It's entirely dependent on who comes in. If the fee we received means we recruit better than Cal Roberts then all is good.

A big ask, and I don't have the faith in the radar that some have.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast