+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ....and Rochdale

Looks like Richards injured ..

Okonkwo
    Mellor
    Offord
    Zac
    McDonald
    Ainley
    Thomas
    Brook
    Sambou
    Awake
    Again

Hmmm interesting - doesn't look like we're planning to 'park the bus'

Definitely attacking line-up!!! Getting nervous now. Will we cope at the back😵

....and crap pies, only 1 place serving and the ground didn't open till 2.00

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair General View Post
    My prediction? Can't see us keeping a clean sheet (although with this new, giant keeper, maybe we'll have a more commanding presence between the posts), but I see us scoring too. Saw enough against Rotherham to say 2 - 1 to the Alex. COYR!!!!
    Congrats AG !!!

Good win to start the season...

Well a decent start! Even if we did have to sweat at the end as usual ... Wish I'd predicted now! #COYR

Quote Originally Posted by frogpole View Post
    Congrats AG !!!

Good win to start the season...
    I am feeling very oracle-like

Most pleased about the win ofc. Defford a game of two halves, from listening to the commentary. Cultured football and domination of the first half, and struggling yo get out of our own half in the second period. I'll take it!!!

Really a game of 2 halves...or should that be 3 thirds. 5 mins settling in and then.. wow!
    Full pressing. Tackles flying in (tho' zac needs to be a little more cautious), closing people down and rapid movement. The problem was how long could they keep the intensity up? In the end they kept it going for about 30 minutes. Fortunately, during that period they scored 2 really well taken goals, which in the end was enough. However, the end of the game just came in time. Ainley was dragged off after 80 mins. Brook had disappeared in the second half, Agyei had slowed right down and Zac was out on his feet. It made for a nervy 10 + 4 mins as the Alex seemed content to (or were only capable of) hoof the ball out of the red half.
    So the players: Arthur fumbled one, palmed a stinger away and generally didn't do the things many of us expected a 6'6" goalie to do - come for crosses!
    Mellor was great quick in the tackle but visibly tired at the end. Offord was his usual. Mc Donald was immense- very strong. Zac had a good first half- good crosses and charging forward. Thomas looks a solid signing covering a lot of ground. Ainley seems to have found himself as a number 10 and again received a lot of attention but had little impact in the second half. Brook was brilliant and should have had a brace- missing an easy one but scoring a great one earlier in the game. Agyei is great on the turn and rushing at the defence
    Positives: the press and the resulting 2 goals. The no-nonsense approach and free kicks that caused problems for Dale. The attacking line up. Ainley, 2 assists in 23 mins compared to nothing in the previous 2 seasons. The whole team coming over en bloc and standing for a whole minute and applauding the away support.
    Worries: the very evident lack of fitness that really told in the last quarter. The attacking line up that tired and left gaps through the middle and put us under a lot of pressure.

....and one other 'worry' I meant to mention.... I can't believe that there are still idiots bringing flares to the game. On this occasion someone needed urgent medical attention. The two events happened consecutively so I don't know if they are linked.

Great to get off to a win, Rochdale aren't the strongest side in the division and tougher tests await but it's good for confidence.

Pleased we started with a win. Did not attend the game or listen to commentary so not in a position to comment. Based on a number of reports from supporters I am concerned by our tactics in the 2nd half. Entering the last 45 minutes with a 2 goal advantage for me was the time to play possession football, not backs to the wall football.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast