+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McGinn New Capt

McGinn New Capt

Mings dropped.
    SJM Capt
    Martinet VC
    Young Clu Capt

Thoughts!

Quite surprised, really. Hopefully, the armband may help eradicate the frequent ‘brain farts’, that have littered Meatball’s Villa career.

It suggests to me that SG thinks Mings has more to offer on the pitch if he's less distracted with other duties and feels there's more to come from McGinn by getting him to step-up. I too am quite surprised, it's a big call - hope it all works out!

I guess you have to read into this that Mings is not going to be an automatic starter this season. However, unlike you chaps, I’m not surprised. There are not many obvious leaders in this team apart from SJM and Martinez and keepers are rarely given the armband. The new signings may be captain material but that’s too early. I’m hoping SJM will have a stronger season this year now that he has more security behind him. Ever hopeful!

not surprised. I don't see Mings as a starter this season, not that i have a problem with Mings, just think Gerrard wants Diego as leftside centre half and think that chambers has given himself a really good chance of starting on right side. I'm surprised Mcginn has been given the armband because I'm not sure I'd have him in the starting 11.

So, SG has named a 2nd V/C (Carlos), as he wants cover, should any of the already named captains are not on the pitch. SG goes on to say that the armband does not guarantee anybody a starting shirt.

Nice, SG is growing on me.

Pretty happy with McGinn tbh but feel a bit for Mings as it’s a total dropping with him not even getting sub captain ?

It annoys me, looking at social media of how people are stabbing Mings in the back, now he is not Capt, " he's crap, a liability, has a mistake or 3 in him, this just is not right or fair. Mings is a 100% committed, do we/ they slaughter Watkins every time he misses a chance. Naming Carlos as vice, vice capt is a bit of a kick in the teeth, with his mental issues, it may actually destroy him rather than free him up to improve, I am not convinced by McGinn either, he may be great but untried, i cannot help but think something has happened behind the scenes or he is about to be sold! Either way the twitter mob need to lay off.

I’m sure that Mings is intelligent enough to ignore negative sh1t spouted by lonely wanna-be heroes, seeking relevance for their mundane lives. Mings does not shy away from topics around mental fitness. He supports and embraces awareness. He will no doubt ride out this blip to his self-esteem and will carry on focussing on positivity and his own game.

As a Captain, I thought that Mings was a colossus. As a player I thought that he was good enough to play whenever fit, even allowing for his lapses in concentration.

Now, however, there is serious competition at the back. Lapses in concentration will cost a starting shirt. Mings now has the freedom to apply himself to the job at hand.

I’d also say that maybe, SG sees Mings as Deano’s Captain. This shift in the role may just be his way of stamping his authority at the Club.

Mings dropped from Captaincy, dropped for todays Friendly in Rennais and dropped from the squad, Konsa takes his place! Something is up and I think he is on his way out, making a change before he is sold is a wise move rather than actually selling your Captain......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)