+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Matchday Thread: Rams v Oxford

Really enjoyed it, rough around the edges at times but plenty of desire

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    Really enjoyed it, rough around the edges at times but plenty of desire
    To be expected. Still getting to know each other. Lovely goal and result better than anticipated.

Oxford fans will not visit a better stadium all season, will not see a better home support to boot

They should have made the most of it instead of whining about the mighty rams giving them a loss

We are Derby, say we are... Deeerby

31000 as well, obviously that will drop but thats an amazing number

Shout out to Clowes for giving us our club back

Started off well taking good advantage of their wish to play "proper" football. After 15 minutes they decided they couldn't handle us so they went the physical and route 1 way. They got back into it somewhat but, a couple of occasions apart when they almost beat our "back 2" with a long ball we competed which was refreshing.

2nd half they were the better side for 15 minutes and then we got back in. The game got very physical from both sides which was a surprise. It seems we aren't going to be bullied which is welcome. Cracking goal when it came. Deserved win IMO.

Mendez-Laing had a belter. MOTM? Possibly IMO. At the back Cashin was immense. For me they are the 2 candidates for MOTM with a Highly Commended for Hourihane. I'll give Sibs a special mention as well. he came on and got clattered twice in the first 2 minutes. No red mist, no revenge. Just get on and play the game. I had expected him to get carded at some point which he didn't. Even in his exchanges with ref and lino with regard to the 2 not given fouls he seemed cool, calm and collected. He also played well, quite possibly because he wasn't stuck out on the wing where he is merely one of many talents we have wasted by playing them as the winger they aren't. keep up the composure Sibs.

Opening doors I thought the ref was OK. He let a lot go, preferring to let the game flow. Instead of card waving he preferred to have a quiet word. IMO he did a bit too much of it which contributed to the flurry of 2nd half very poor "tackles" that led to yellows. Had he acted more strongly earlier we may not have seen as many poor/bad tackles IMO.

Stats? 58% possession for us. Shots 13 - 7. On target 4-2.

A decent enough start and better than I had expected. Wildsmith is growing on me. How long will Knight be happy at full back? Roberts seemed to fade as the game went on. Down to trying to do too much in the first half maybe? Looks a good prospect.

Chester and McGoldrick out with knocks. Will Chester have to wait his turn until either Curt or Cash get injured/banned/have a 'mare? McG, whose place will he take or will we go 2 up top?

Intit great to be talking football again?

Didn't know much about the match as I was in bed with Covid like symptoms, I tested negative so likely some other bug.
    Chatting to my eldest he seemed to have enjoyed the game and was quite impressed by our performance having felt that all the upheaval and last minute team building would take time for us to gel. He seems intent on going to Charlton having enjoyed the match so much.
    As MA says, great to be talking about and being involved in matches again. Is it just a few weeks since we were teetering on the edge of a very deep precipice, as Delboy would say 'luvvly jubbly'!

Hope you feel better

Thanks Sith, yes feeling a bit less weak and not so groggy. The lads playing again and, of course, the result certainly helped.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Started off well taking good advantage of their wish to play "proper" football. After 15 minutes they decided they couldn't handle us so they went the physical and route 1 way. They got back into it somewhat but, a couple of occasions apart when they almost beat our "back 2" with a long ball we competed which was refreshing.

2nd half they were the better side for 15 minutes and then we got back in. The game got very physical from both sides which was a surprise. It seems we aren't going to be bullied which is welcome. Cracking goal when it came. Deserved win IMO.

Mendez-Laing had a belter. MOTM? Possibly IMO. At the back Cashin was immense. For me they are the 2 candidates for MOTM with a Highly Commended for Hourihane. I'll give Sibs a special mention as well. he came on and got clattered twice in the first 2 minutes. No red mist, no revenge. Just get on and play the game. I had expected him to get carded at some point which he didn't. Even in his exchanges with ref and lino with regard to the 2 not given fouls he seemed cool, calm and collected. He also played well, quite possibly because he wasn't stuck out on the wing where he is merely one of many talents we have wasted by playing them as the winger they aren't. keep up the composure Sibs.

Opening doors I thought the ref was OK. He let a lot go, preferring to let the game flow. Instead of card waving he preferred to have a quiet word. IMO he did a bit too much of it which contributed to the flurry of 2nd half very poor "tackles" that led to yellows. Had he acted more strongly earlier we may not have seen as many poor/bad tackles IMO.

Stats? 58% possession for us. Shots 13 - 7. On target 4-2.

A decent enough start and better than I had expected. Wildsmith is growing on me. How long will Knight be happy at full back? Roberts seemed to fade as the game went on. Down to trying to do too much in the first half maybe? Looks a good prospect.

Chester and McGoldrick out with knocks. Will Chester have to wait his turn until either Curt or Cash get injured/banned/have a 'mare? McG, whose place will he take or will we go 2 up top?

Intit great to be talking football again?
    Good summary but a few points you may wish to comment on

Agreed Wildsmith, he doesn't inspire confidence in me with his presence but he seems very able. Awful kicker though, and that will drive us more and more to the tippy tappy appraoch. Which leads me to...

The tippy tappy approach seems to be a means to itsself not a means to an end. I'd like someone to keep stats on goals created v goals gifted using this approach come theend of the season. which leads me to...

A combination of the tippy tappy approach added to the seemingly inevitable mid-half drinks break seems to be robbing us of 20 mins of football every match

Lastly I thought Oxford's '70s Leeds' approach of surrounding the ref whenever there was a contentious decision was pretty lamentable and if ex-Ram Craig Short had anything to do with such a tactic he needs to have a word with himself. Glad Derby didn't do the same

I feel theres more of a good feel vibe again which we never had under baldy

Even during the playoff final season under Lampard it never felt right, everything felt smug and beneath them during that season

Clowes has already changed that and Rosinior feels like a proper leader not a celebrity type weve had to endure under the orevious ownership

We may be league 1, we may be rubbing shoulders with clubs like Oxford but its a proper club again

Quote Originally Posted by DCFCArmy View Post
    I feel theres more of a good feel vibe again which we never had under baldy

Even during the playoff final season under Lampard it never felt right, everything felt smug and beneath them during that season

Clowes has already changed that and Rosinior feels like a proper leader not a celebrity type weve had to endure under the orevious ownership

We may be league 1, we may be rubbing shoulders with clubs like Oxford but its a proper club again
    ‘Rubbing shoulders with the likes of Oxford’? A tad ‘smug’ yourself there don’t you think?
    Oxford United may not have our history but they know all about the highs and lows in recent times and have actually won more than us in the last 35 years or so.
    You may be right about the ‘vibe’ and I hope you are, but let’s not start getting arrogant about other L1 clubs.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)