+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defend that....

Regarding Spikes post, I had my own thoughts after Willie Gibsons interview post Annan game. This is the big boys business he is in now and can't be 'biting' after criticism to the first competitive game. If he continues to react then maybe time to lessen his social media profile.

Quote Originally Posted by ALBERTZ_11 View Post
    Also Morgaro Gomis who was a decent player when at Dundee United...
    Also did not realise that Olly McDonald scorer of a fine goal for the Bully Wee was once a Queens player and had also been on loan at Gretna recently.

Not being clever in hindsight because I talked before the season about signing a tall strong forward player ( like Brian Graham ) to hold the ball up and for the likes of Reilly to play off. We haven't signed this type and are relying on about four smallish but nimble forwards. This obviously cuts down on our physicallity and our options in the way Queens play, rendering the long ball forward as pretty ineffective as we saw today.. Just saying what I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG View Post
    Regarding Spikes post, I had my own thoughts after Willie Gibsons interview post Annan game. This is the big boys business he is in now and can't be 'biting' after criticism to the first competitive game. If he continues to react then maybe time to lessen his social media profile.
    There was words being directed towards someone in the main stand at the half time walk off as well. No idea what it was about.
    Thought the booing at that point was a bit uncalled for. Shows fans high expectations.

I wasn't one of the ones booing yesterday as I'm a grown man, however I think the ones that were were directing their anger towards the perceived lack of effort and, from what I was seeing, pulling out of a few 50/50's which is not on.

Wullie's overnight video was telling in his disappointment and he certainly doesn't defend the performance which he says was completely unacceptable. Expectations were very high yesterday and we all felt let down by those on the pitch but it is only one game and, other than the Annan game, they have been playing well which is the reality.

Very much a reality check for us yesterday as many were thinking we were going to stroll this league, which compared to previous years is a much higher standard.

We have hopefully had a shocker of a performance now so we can pick ourselves up and go again.

We made a last minute decision to travel down to Dumfries today, despite the rail strike, as my son was keen to attend the first match of the new league season. Even before today’s trip, I was far from convinced that the squad we’ve assembled has the quality or the depth to contend for the title, but my son was much more optimistic (he’s young enough not to be scarred by the past). However, the collision between unrealistically high expectations and the hard evidence of our collective shortcomings was more traumatic than even I could have imagined.

A few impressions: I managed to purchase tickets online en route to the game, and promptly received the QR codes, so no issues there, or at the turnstiles. Seems like a decent ticketing system. That’s the the good news. All of it.

45 minutes before kick-off until half past two, we were checking Queens official twitter updates for the starting lineups, hitting refresh continually until we gave up and downloaded the Sky Sports app, which duly gave us the teams. Lack of volunteers seems to be the problem. Any other business would employ someone to look after social media, but football clubs seem to rely on people donating their services for nothing. If only we had some spare cash in the bank to pay people (at least) minimum wage to do jobs that desperately need done…

My son wanted some chips before the game started, so I went to the catering kiosk with my card at the ready, only to be greeted with a ‘cash only’ sign. In the modern post-pandemic world, almost no-one uses cash anymore. Just how hard can it be to get a card machine (and/or functional wi-fi if that’s the problem)? Most businesses are in the process of phasing out cash entirely, so demanding ‘cash only’ seems antediluvian to say the least.

The artificial pitch looked as barren and hostile a surface as ever - I can’t imagine Messrs Armstrong and Aldrin were greeted by a much less hospitable surface on their arrival on the Moon.

In my attempts to gain some online info about the match, I spotted stadium announcer Alex’s Facebook update that part of the main stand had been closed due to the discovery of a wasps’ nest. Fairly soon, I’m sure we can look forward to the closure of the entire antiquated fire hazard for good.

From PB site.

Just heard today’s reserves game against Ayr United was called off with both teams there due to too much bird sh!t on pitch. What an embarrassment

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)