+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Alan Smith RIP

Alan Smith RIP

Just seem on official site RIP Alan

Everyone at Rotherham United has been deeply saddened to learn of the passing of former Millers and England physiotherapist Alan Smith, aged 74.

Sad news indeed. Saw Alan a few times on my visits to his practice in Wickersley.

Really sad news.
    I used to play for the Cavalier in Ravenfield back in the 1970s and Alan, who was physio for the Millers at the time, took us for training.
    He would to run from his home in Wickersley, put us through our paces and then run back again and this was at a time when jogging wasn't really a thing.
    He knew I was a Rotherham fan and would keep me up to date with things that were going on behind the scenes at Millmoor.
    A really lovely man.
    RIP Alan.

RIP Alan

My lad played for Laughton boys and Alan would turn up at matches and give great advice.
    He wasn’t shy telling some of the parents that they were over the top from the sidelines.

Top bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Really sad news.
    I used to play for the Cavalier in Ravenfield back in the 1970s and Alan, who was physio for the Millers at the time, took us for training.
    He would to run from his home in Wickersley, put us through our paces and then run back again and this was at a time when jogging wasn't really a thing.
    He knew I was a Rotherham fan and would keep me up to date with things that were going on behind the scenes at Millmoor.
    A really lovely man.
    RIP Alan.
    I'm very saddened to hear this. At the same time that you are talking about Alan ran evening classes for Sunday League secretaries/trainers and I went to them as I ran Kimberworth Park F C. Alan's knowledge of the muscles, ligaments and bones etc which made up the human body was immense and he taught us so much so we knew how to recognise and treat most injuries.
    He told us some interesting stories as well. He went on the field to treat Mick Leng and he found that Mick had a severe gash to his knee, so bad that he could clearly see Mick's knee cap. Mick had gone into shock and his body closed up his blood vessels so Alan was able to close up the wound before he even lost any blood.
    Another one was that Paul Stancliffe had a persistent knee injury. Your ligaments are like very very strong elastic bands but if you over stretch them they fray and don't go fully back into shape. One of Paul's knee ligaments was like that so the surgeon cut a nick into his bone and pulled the ligament over it so it stretched the normal amount and cured the problem.
    One of the things he taught us was that you could get an instant assessment of the gravity of an injury by the degree of pain the player had. That wouldn't be much use today with all the screaming that goes off after the lightest of touches.
    RIP Alan

R-I-P. Alan Smith.
    Condolences to family & friends.
    Thanks for the treatment & care & attention.
    Top notch physio.