+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Alkmaar (h)

Slightly on/off topic, I guess starting your strongest eleven isn’t necessarily the best eleven for every given game. Celtic home last season it worked perfectly putting mulgrew and watt on at half time, pace had gone out game slightly, and they could influence game better, though wouldn’t have made a difference had we been trailing 0-3 through.

5 subs obviously benefits bigger squads, but I really thought we’d see more tactical innovation from managers, i.e you can almost replace half a team, for example I thought more managers might go for a new attacking midfield 65 min mark, but it’s not made great difference. I’d have thought potentially it can change way you approach/manage games.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    They'll be struggling against our rapid strikers then. 🤔☹️
    I thought Watt looked really slow and unfit on Saturday, their RB was going past him with ease in the 1st half.

Always remember the euro tie where Houston played Goodie wide. What got us Europe that year was playing two central strikers. Went out of the competition on a whimper as we couldn't create chances to score goals which is how you progress. I'd play Fletcher & Cudjoe through the middle with Middleton on the right. Watt on the bench. Middleton & Cudjoe could switch now and again to give AZ something to think about. Cudjoe had a poor game by his standards on Saturday. All the more likely to have something to prove against better opposition imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    I thought Watt looked really slow and unfit on Saturday, their RB was going past him with ease in the 1st half.
    To be fair I think that fella is a quality loan player from Arsenal and Killie have done well to get him. We know this can be a bit of a hit or a miss but it looks like they have a player there.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Sounds like this is a dream tie for Zeek. ��
    it is, bud...Eh want United tae win coz that's meh team, but eh hae tae be honest, they are good and the difference between Scottish futba and Dutch is miles apart...great tae go on meh bike tae see United
    Last edited by zeek; 01-08-2022 at 01:25 PM. Reason: mistake typing

Quote Originally Posted by zeek View Post
    it is, bud...Eh want United tae win coz that's meh team, but eh hae tae be honest, they are good and the difference between Scottish futba and Dutch is miles apart...great tae go on meh bike tae see United
    Class, on yir bike. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by the_arab View Post
    Best 11 on paper, or best 11 in prep for the match? Thats my point, on paper Behich starts... but would he put him straight in for such a massive match?

I agree that he SHOULD play our strongest 11.. i have a feeling some future starters will still be on the bench on Thursday and our starting 11 in a few weeks will look different to what he starts on Thursday.... time will tell.
    Best 11 according to player fitness and availability. Anything less and Ross goes to the top of the Sack Race betting odds.

Quote Originally Posted by zeek View Post
    Remember to lock your bike up mate or it will end up in Dundee

Quote Originally Posted by DUFCstokie View Post
    Remember to lock your bike up mate or it will end up in Dundee
    Folk don't lock their bikes in The Netherlands!

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Best 11 according to player fitness and availability. Anything less and Ross goes to the top of the Sack Race betting odds.
    This.

Ross has some very big decisions to make here. Stick with 442 where McMann Cudjoe and Harkes have all struggled or change to a back 3 to get wing backs higher up to support our attack.

Going with a back 4 at Killie maybe suggests he prefers a 4. IMO Freeman offers a more attacking threat on the right than Smith and Cudjoe have so far.

Does he start Behich? Could Niskanen add pace to get at them and cause uncertainty?

I sense that Ross will play a bit safe. I think he'll keep faith in Harkes. I think this is the team he'll play

Birighitti
    Smith Edwards Mulgrew Behich
    Middleton Sibbald Levitt Harkes
    Fletcher Watt

Maybe Middleton on the left in front of Behich instead of on the right as listed above.
    Wouldn't be surprised if he persists with Cudjoe at the expense of Middleton.

I'd prefer

Birighitti
    Edwards Mulgrew Graham
    Freeman Sibbald Levitt Niskanen Behich
    Fletcher Watt

I'd ask Niskanen to interchange with Behich, covering the space behind him when he gets forward. If we're still not ahead by 60 minutes sub Niskanen for Middleton.

I'd do the same interchange thing with Freeman/Sibbald.
    We need to get support up to Watt/Fletcher, get in behind if possible, get crosses in when possible and imo Freeman Niskanen and Behich will do more of that than Smith Harkes and Cudjoe. Pace, commit defenders, surprise, disrupt.

It'll be interesting to see what Ross does.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)