+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Lionesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Cant say I watched it, cant even say I knew the tournament was on until someone mentioned it a week or so ago.

To compare the success (as positive as it is) to the men's game is simply lame brained, but it gives Joe Public a chance to celebrate something. But to compare the achievements would be like comparing the Golden State Warriors to the Manchester Thunder

IN FACT THIS THREAD SHOULD BE PREFACED O/T AND SHOULD NOT BE GRANTED STICKY STATUS!
    Why? Its about football and therefore is on topic as last time I looked it is a football forum. Not sure why your being a pedant, other than thats your nature!!

Because I'm a pedant

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not sure anyone’s complained, Ramshank. I certainly didn’t mean it to come across that way.
    Just interested that, on what is (essentially) a football forum, no one had mentioned the Lionesses’ undoubted achievement and wondered what we all, as football fans, thought about the standard.
    For me it’s a bit like comparing L2 with the Premier League...the game, as a contest, may be fantastic but the standard is vastly inferior and, a bit like England’s women beating the Aussies at cricket, I can’t get as excited as I would if it was in the real Ashes.
    For me it had everything that the men's game has missed for a long time, so whilst the euphoria of seeing the men win a trophy might trump it as I've followed it so long, the women were simply better to watch. That'll all change as money starts coming into the game of course!
    Talking of the cricket, I'd liken your comment to having to choose a 100 team to support

I have no natural 100vteam to support as a Gloucestershire supporter. It goes wholly against the grain to support the Welsh, so I simply ignore the competition

I have no natural 100vteam to support as a Gloucestershire supporter. It goes wholly against the grain to support the Welsh, so I simply ignore the competition
    Can't argue with that logic!

Its footy, Jim, but not as we know it - to misquote The Firm
    .... who misquoted Star Trek.

Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    Can't argue with that logic!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/62340735
    And if you need a reason to eschew the 100, just watch this garbage promotional video appealing to the ESN (sorry rA, can't recall the correct term that you told me). Pathetic.

Well you’ve successfully hijacked the thread you disapproved of, GP...and as for ‘ESN’...it stands for Educationally Sub Normal...a term we did away with in the late seventies as it was considered insulting to children with learning difficulties and their parents alike. Those children with greater difficulties were referred to as SSN...I’ll leave you to ponder on that one, but let’s just say the sixties and the seventies seemed particularly lacking in compassion as far as the less fortunate were concerned.

As for the ‘100’ advert...I’ll agree that it’s a great example of ‘dumbing down’, but then we seem to live in a world where infantile levels of instant gratification appear to be ever the new normal. At the risk of ‘cross threading’, which you’ve already done so can hardly criticise me for, if you doubt my comments about any of the above you only have to listen to Liz Truss and remember who she and Little Rishi will be addressing for the next month...the 200k Tory Party faithful who are more welcoming of tax cuts and public sector pay cuts than addressing climate change or the cost of living crisis. Quite terrifying really and ‘lioness’ she certainly isn’t.

P.S. I don’t actually have a problem with the ‘100’. Strange alliances I know but not so different from T20 and although I prefer Test and 50 over cricket nobody makes you watch it.

I remembered it was a dated term, but couldn't remember the new terminology to use. Greater needs = SSN? Sky Sports News! Corss thread away to your hearts content, just don't make me listen to either of those two debating their futures before the masses. Why do we need to listen, we cant vote - take it off mainstream TV, it has no place. PS nobody makes me watch the 100, I didnt last year and wont this year, despite my immense desire to dance on Tick Tock

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)