Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
I think some of those will disappear with the money, but I don't see why the dissent / surrounding the ref yellows can't be introduced.
It’s a football thing I’m afraid...having played both rugby and football to a half decent standard, albeit years ago, the difference in attitude to referees has always been significant.
In rugby we always had to address the ref as ‘Sir’...any dissent would simply not have been tolerated...then the refs would join the players in the club bar afterwards.
By comparison the refs in football would often be argued with and would sometimes be grateful to just drive away without being further abused by foul mouthed spectators.
It’s still the case today and even watching my grandchildren there will be a few vociferous bullies amongst the spectators abusing the referees, and it’s obvious how kids as young as seven and eight will emulate the pros...the latest being, after the most blatant of fouls, approaching the referee with both arms up as if to say, ‘who me...how can you possibly have given that?’

At the moment the women’s game sets a better example and, although I didn’t see any of the pre match stuff, I’ll bet the German anthem wasn’t booed and disrespected on Sunday either.