+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Lionesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    I think some of those will disappear with the money, but I don't see why the dissent / surrounding the ref yellows can't be introduced.
    It’s a football thing I’m afraid...having played both rugby and football to a half decent standard, albeit years ago, the difference in attitude to referees has always been significant.
    In rugby we always had to address the ref as ‘Sir’...any dissent would simply not have been tolerated...then the refs would join the players in the club bar afterwards.
    By comparison the refs in football would often be argued with and would sometimes be grateful to just drive away without being further abused by foul mouthed spectators.
    It’s still the case today and even watching my grandchildren there will be a few vociferous bullies amongst the spectators abusing the referees, and it’s obvious how kids as young as seven and eight will emulate the pros...the latest being, after the most blatant of fouls, approaching the referee with both arms up as if to say, ‘who me...how can you possibly have given that?’

At the moment the women’s game sets a better example and, although I didn’t see any of the pre match stuff, I’ll bet the German anthem wasn’t booed and disrespected on Sunday either.

Likening PL with L2 is an excellent example of comparing the merits of the same sport, so the comparison further underlines the similarity of women's football to men's football.

Women's footballers have every right to celebrate and compare their achievement to that of their male counterparts. Male football fans such as those posting on here are guilty of making a category error in suggesting their version of football is in some way better or superior. Women would be the first to admit they will never be able to compete with men in terms of physical strength but there are enough similarities to make the two versions comparable. Lawn tennis and table tennis is one such example. There are enough similarities to make each of them enjoyable to watch. For example, returning the ball over a net involving sharp reflexes, precision, power.

Many male football fans didn't see any of the tournament including the final itself, yet feel qualified to give an opinion purely because they're males, or most likely are reluctant to say they enjoy women's football because they're too macho for that. Perhaps they are closet admirers of the game, who knows. At any rate, Spain and France gave high quality entertainment involving intricate one touch football that many fans of male football clubs will rarely see. The ghosts of penalty shoot out pain have finally been lain to rest. Football's finally come home.
    Last edited by GUNTERYY36; 04-08-2022 at 12:05 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)