+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lionesses.

The Lionesses.

First of...well done to the England Women’s football team. Great achievement and well deserved.

Beyond that...I’m a bit puzzled.
    I have no political agenda on this at all...no ‘political correctness’ and certainly no s exism...but the ‘end of 56 years of hurt’?
    Really? Firstly in ‘66 ‘we’ won the World Cup, and last night was most certainly not the World Cup, secondly there’s a massive gulf in class between the men’s and the women’s game (and probably always will be) and thirdly...the undoubted achievements of the women’s game has little to do with the achievements, or otherwise, of the men’s team.

So a great achievement and a decent game but let’s keep some sense of perspective...I suspect there isn’t a single member of the Lionesses who would make it into a lower L2 side at best and the standard we saw last night reflected that.

Thoughts?

It was fantastic to watch and a great achievement, but even my wife said its not the same though is it.

Its not, if it had been the mens team when they made the final, or the world cup, it would be different, id have had a big gathering, been watching games in pubs and so on, to be fair i didnt watch a full game until the semi, when the world cup is on ill be planning where i watch who with etc etc and if we make the final it would be a big gathering watching it.

Its not our first since 66, its our first at all, its a different set of competitions.

Still brilliant though to see, just the buzz wont last as long.

Cant say I watched it, cant even say I knew the tournament was on until someone mentioned it a week or so ago.

To compare the success (as positive as it is) to the men's game is simply lame brained, but it gives Joe Public a chance to celebrate something. But to compare the achievements would be like comparing the Golden State Warriors to the Manchester Thunder

IN FACT THIS THREAD SHOULD BE PREFACED O/T AND SHOULD NOT BE GRANTED STICKY STATUS!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Cant say I watched it, cant even say I knew the tournament was on until someone mentioned it a week or so ago.

To compare the success (as positive as it is) to the men's game is simply lame brained, but it gives Joe Public a chance to celebrate something. But to compare the achievements would be like comparing the Golden State Warriors to the Manchester Thunder

IN FACT THIS THREAD SHOULD BE PREFACED O/T AND SHOULD NOT BE GRANTED STICKY STATUS!
    Tbh I only watched after the (men’s) cricket had become a lost cause...so about the last 15 minutes and extra time.

Couldn’t care less whether it is ‘granted sticky status’ or not, but it shouldn’t be ‘prefaced OT’ because it is about football.

I thought non DCFC threads all needed to be given OT status? And is it football? Anyway it was more in jest. I quit watching the cricket when 5th wicket fell, but decided to go weed the garden rather than watch the Lionesses, who, interesting to note, have been accused of being racist by having selected an all white starting XI. So I was being accidentally woke by not watching the game, I suspect: There's a first time for everything

I like going against the grain (a chef once told me to do so!):
    Why the complaint? Why shouldn't they take the plaudits? How is it any different from the mens team progressing through a competition and only playing the best team in the final, having played many "weaker" teams in the group / knockout stages.

We often hear about football being the working mans game; well the working women just achieved something special.
    I found the football more entertaining, and the players more relatable than I do watching the prima-donna multi-millionaire petals that represent the male game.

Well, it is the first Senior FA representative to win a major international tournament since 1966 so it should count.

It's not the same as the men's game, I agree. IMO you can't really compare the two any more than you could compare Flo Jo to Linford Christie or top swimmers.... the women's game, in its infancy is still fair, proper sport. Respect for the opponents and the officials which the men don't have. Remember Oxford last weekend? Less cynical fouls. I refuse to call them professional fouls as deliberately breaking the rules, the code if you like, is anything but professional. Far less rolling about in death throes because someone looked at them too hard. there's a video online where two women players collide. One falls down and it's obvious she has dislocated her kneecap. No rolling about in agony as would happen if a male player had his ear flicked he'd be writhing in pain, holding his face (that did happen). She balled her fist, gave the kneecap 3 or 4 mighty sideswipes and it clicked back into place. She stood up and ran after the ball. THAT is how to play the game.

Sticky’s were started by me to promote Rams/ footy/ sport threads above ‘putting the world to rights’ and Forest threads. It’s a bit to my discretion but I’ve always responded to requests to stick/ unstick one way or another. In this case, I WOULD stick as it’s footy, I CAN’T stick as I’m not on my laptop at the mo

Its footy, Jim, but not as we know it - to misquote The Firm

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    I like going against the grain (a chef once told me to do so!):
    Why the complaint? Why shouldn't they take the plaudits? How is it any different from the mens team progressing through a competition and only playing the best team in the final, having played many "weaker" teams in the group / knockout stages.

We often hear about football being the working mans game; well the working women just achieved something special.
    I found the football more entertaining, and the players more relatable than I do watching the prima-donna multi-millionaire petals that represent the male game.
    Not sure anyone’s complained, Ramshank. I certainly didn’t mean it to come across that way.
    Just interested that, on what is (essentially) a football forum, no one had mentioned the Lionesses’ undoubted achievement and wondered what we all, as football fans, thought about the standard.
    For me it’s a bit like comparing L2 with the Premier League...the game, as a contest, may be fantastic but the standard is vastly inferior and, a bit like England’s women beating the Aussies at cricket, I can’t get as excited as I would if it was in the real Ashes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)