+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A few possible solutions

A few possible solutions

Following the 2nd time this season that Queen's have been bullied by bigger and stronger players, - may I offer the following for consideration? I stress I do not pretend to have the solutions, - I merely offer them for consideration by the management and for discussion on this outlet.

1) Wullie to place himself on the bench and concentrate on his priority which is to manage. He should assess the game in the first half, - ideally from a high vantage point for 20 minutes or so, - and then to convey instructions to the players in a positive and animated manner, - like his counterparts Danny Lennon and Alan Moore did on Saturday. Wullie is then able to bring himself on as a sub to stabilise a game, - or to snuff out a difficult forward following the above assessment.

2) Regular training sessions should be conducted at Palmerston to allow the players to account for the bounce and pace of the ball.

3) Perhaps Ewan East could be played as a striker (as I believe he is capable of) acting as a foil for the smaller, - faster forward players? He could also strengthen the defence at set plays.

4) Consideration needs to be given to the goalkeeping position, - as we are losing too many soft goals. Perhaps a taller keeper?

5) The older defenders are too ponderous, - it is perhaps time to give the Muir lad more game time.

6) The discipline of a full time squad is disappointing, - and we cannot have players being frustrated by part-timers and being red carded, - which further diminishes our chances in the next match. Queens should be frustrating our part time opponents and their supporters, - not the other way around. It was also noted that Wullie was confronted by a frustrated home supporter, - whom he responded to. Rightly or wrongly, - we cannot have the manager's concentration being eaten up by a punter.

7) Our full time fitness should destroy part time teams in the last 20 minutes. Some, but not all part time players can have the same level of fitness as their full time counterparts. If that is not the case, - then serious consideration needs to be given by the club to saving a great deal of money and going part time themselves.

8) We cannot allow seagulls to dictate matters. The gulls only converge on Palmerston when they have a free food supply. Consequently, - the club either bans chips, - pies etc, - or alternatively, - through information on social media the throwing of food onto the terracing or pitch is followed by automatic ejection from the ground by the stewards - which needs to be backed up by supporters pointing out the offenders. This may seem like a mallet to crack a nut, - but allegedly the reserve game was postponed due to seagull dirt, and it is only a matter of time before a referee does the same for a senior game, - or deems the gulls a hazard to the players and abandons the match.

Apart from that, everything is fine and dandy, - and I have every confidence in Wullie to turn things around. The above is a mere starter for ten, - which is meant to stimulate debate and also to involve the management and BOD either directly or indirectly. We're all in this together, - this is not a 'them and us' scenario any more, - because the blame game is self defeating, and proper solutions may help the club to move forward.

Everyone is hurting after being beaten 4-1 by Clyde at home, - who are the outsiders in the betting for League 1, - so we need to work together for the benefit of our 'hame team.'

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Following the 2nd time this season that Queen's have been bullied by bigger and stronger players, - may I offer the following for consideration? I stress I do not pretend to have the solutions, - I merely offer them for consideration by the management and for discussion on this outlet.

1) Wullie to place himself on the bench and concentrate on his priority which is to manage. He should assess the game in the first half, - ideally from a high vantage point for 20 minutes or so, - and then to convey instructions to the players in a positive and animated manner, - like his counterparts Danny Lennon and Alan Moore did on Saturday. Wullie is then able to bring himself on as a sub to stabilise a game, - or to snuff out a difficult forward following the above assessment.

2) Regular training sessions should be conducted at Palmerston to allow the players to account for the bounce and pace of the ball.

3) Perhaps Ewan East could be played as a striker (as I believe he is capable of) acting as a foil for the smaller, - faster forward players? He could also strengthen the defence at set plays.

4) Consideration needs to be given to the goalkeeping position, - as we are losing too many soft goals. Perhaps a taller keeper?

5) The older defenders are too ponderous, - it is perhaps time to give the Muir lad more game time.

6) The discipline of a full time squad is disappointing, - and we cannot have players being frustrated by part-timers and being red carded, - which further diminishes our chances in the next match. Queens should be frustrating our part time opponents and their supporters, - not the other way around. It was also noted that Wullie was confronted by a frustrated home supporter, - whom he responded to. Rightly or wrongly, - we cannot have the manager's concentration being eaten up by a punter.

7) Our full time fitness should destroy part time teams in the last 20 minutes. Some, but not all part time players can have the same level of fitness as their full time counterparts. If that is not the case, - then serious consideration needs to be given by the club to saving a great deal of money and going part time themselves.

8) We cannot allow seagulls to dictate matters. The gulls only converge on Palmerston when they have a free food supply. Consequently, - the club either bans chips, - pies etc, - or alternatively, - through information on social media the throwing of food onto the terracing or pitch is followed by automatic ejection from the ground by the stewards - which needs to be backed up by supporters pointing out the offenders. This may seem like a mallet to crack a nut, - but allegedly the reserve game was postponed due to seagull dirt, and it is only a matter of time before a referee does the same for a senior game, - or deems the gulls a hazard to the players and abandons the match.

Apart from that, everything is fine and dandy, - and I have every confidence in Wullie to turn things around. The above is a mere starter for ten, - which is meant to stimulate debate and also to involve the management and BOD either directly or indirectly. We're all in this together, - this is not a 'them and us' scenario any more, - because the blame game is self defeating, and proper solutions may help the club to move forward.

Everyone is hurting after being beaten 4-1 by Clyde at home, - who are the outsiders in the betting for League 1, - so we need to work together for the benefit of our 'hame team.'
    Excellent post Jardi with some good ideas which, hopefully, won't fall on deaf ears

Good post Jardi,

Point 1 if Wullie is required to play through injuries then that's inevitable but agree he needs to concentrate upon managing first.
    Point 2 don't they already train on artificial turf as most team do and why doesn't seem to affect them? Training at Palmerston on a more regular basis does make sense.
    Point 3 East came on for Quitongo and his class on the ball was immediately apparent so, if fit, should be a starter.
    Pt 4 What height is the back up keeper from Aberdeen but having watched the gaols from the weekend it was deficiencies in the defence rather than the keeper which cost us.
    Pt 5 We need more assertive defenders who do not get muscled off the ball regardless of their age.
    Pt 6 Discipline is always a necessity.
    Pt 7 We should always be fitter than part time teams as a matter of course.
    Pt 8 Gulls are simply an issue with food being chucked away.

Now it's up to Gibson and the management team to come up with the answers using the squad we have coupled with reinforcements if available especially considering we have yet to exploit the loanee market.

Refering to point 8 ,I have seen pest control services with
    hawks disperse pest species such as sea gulls. They usually wander around the area inconspicuously. From what I have seen the sea gulls don't hang about . This option could be used easily, before kick off and half time.

Queens need to consistently keep banging out the same message of not leaving scraps of food about until it seeps into everyone's heads . A minority of people , mostly young lads to blame

Is it not the BODs job to come up with basic solutions or are they totally inept ?

Let's just see how things pan out over the next few games.
    If we had the full team at our disposal then I'm certain the performance and result would have been a lot different.
    Just hope we don't have to rely on Reilly, Wilson and Todd to carry the team.

Agree with the majority. Lack of effort by some and backing out of 50/50s, etc. I suppose, though, if they were consistent and rattled out 8/10 performances each week they wouldn't be playing in league 1.

Agreed with the debate comment, there's nothing better than sensible debate by football fans, however with begbie and bagapapa, it's just constant criticism unfortunately. Ultimately though that's free speech and opinions but it can't always be bad

I've said before also that Wilson, Todd and Reilly will make a difference, potentially even Ruth but jury still out. I don't believe it's about relying on certain players, all teams have better players.

Quote Originally Posted by deek5trans View Post
    Is it not the BODs job to come up with basic solutions or are they totally inept ?

Let's just see how things pan out over the next few games.
    If we had the full team at our disposal then I'm certain the performance and result would have been a lot different.
    Just hope we don't have to rely on Reilly, Wilson and Todd to carry the team.
    How did the open day to watch the training go today - I saw a wee bit on Border TV about it and there seemed to be a good turnout of young fans getting autographs on programmes, player photos, team sheets etc.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)