+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee taking … now only occasionally for prem league

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yeah, really unites folks doesn’t it?
    Let's be realistic, we were never united, but now the issue is on the forefront and being addressed instead of being ignored thanks to all the activists and the players taking a knee. And it's worked, because I'm going to do my best to keep up the good fight for equality.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    Can the brainwashed,blinkered tell us what taking the knee has achieved?
    Kept us talking about it.

Can you tell me where you recommend getting news from?

Tumbleweed so far, all talk and no action. If you've got some super "unbiased" news sources please share with us so we can be as not brainwashed as you, don't hog all the balanced opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    Can the brainwashed,blinkered tell us what taking the knee has achieved?
    All I know is it's caused havoc amongst MMadsters who've needed at least 2 knee replacements in the past 12 months that I know of

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Where did I say that ? .

As for delusional it isn't me who believes dropping on one knee carries more weight than the English national team boycotting a world cup and making a stand at an abhorrent event in December .

You only gain in this life what you are prepared to give up in order to achieve your objectives and actions speak louder than words .
    I totally agree.....and banning Russian tennis players from Wimbledon who had no influence what so ever over the invasion of Ukraine isn't considered discriminatory? You are banned simply because you are Russian!

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    What a bizarre statement to make, I've not been advocating for the organisation of BLM so it's weird you're asking me to defend their corner.

Did my last post just go in one ear and out the other?
    OK name the top 5 things achieved by taking the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Slimchance View Post
    OK name the top 5 things achieved by taking the knee
    As people keep asking this, how about:

1. Creating a stronger awareness in the sporting public about racist abuse and actions experienced by black and other minority group players
    2. Creating a stronger sense of community and support among those experiencing discrimination and their colleagues in the changing rooms and workplaces that hear of the experiences of colleagues and support
    3. Creating a stronger sense of empowerment amongst those groups experiencing prejudice
    4. Providing a forum/media platform for individual role models to share their life experiences (as done by Adama Traore today in response to the knee developments
    5. It encourages other minority groups to relate their own lives to the experiences of the black and ethnic community in sport, raising the sense of not tolerating the abuse that black and ethnic players experience and how to come together in order to combat abuse

When the players started "taking the knee" they had shirts with "Black Lives Matter" written on the back, they had the BLM "fist" logo on the sleeve of the shirts, in the stands there were big BLM flags with the same logo.

Now they say it's "got nothing to do with BLM".

This is called gaslighting.
    Last edited by great_fire; 04-08-2022 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    When the players started "taking the knee" they had shirts with "Black Lives Matter" written on the back, they had the BLM "fist" logo on the sleeve of the shirts, in the stands there were big BLM flags with the same logo.

It's called disassociating yourself with a loose cluster of entities that don't appear to be best representing you accurately and just giving the true message you want to portray.

They can't win. People say that they support the message but not BLM. The club distance itself from BLM but keeps the message and then people get all upset that they're being "gaslighted". Mental.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post

Or that over time, players and clubs felt that they wanted their action to focus more on the ongoing problem that they experience with discrimination and raising awareness and less on blm which, with some justification, was proving to be a more problematic organisation (despite the best intentions and efforts from many within it) and one which they wanted distance from to continue making their point.

I guess to keep trying to say that taking the knee and anti racist actions are just media manipulation, virtue signaling etc is just, it seems to me, a way of trying to convince yourself and others that there isn't a problem here. Clearly, I think things have improved overall in the UK and we are a more inclusive culture than many countries, but you only have to look at social media postings on accounts of well known and even less well known, footballers to see that there is still a long, long way to go. If players decide that taking the knee is past its usefulness and they want to express through other means, that's for them to decide, not us. In my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Or that over time, players and clubs felt that they wanted their action to focus more on the ongoing problem that they experience with discrimination and raising awareness and less on blm which, with some justification, was proving to be a more problematic organisation (despite the best intentions and efforts from many within it) and one which they wanted distance from to continue making their point.

I guess to keep trying to say that taking the knee and anti racist actions are just media manipulation, virtue signaling etc is just, it seems to me, a way of trying to convince yourself and others that there isn't a problem here. Clearly, I think things have improved overall in the UK and we are a more inclusive culture than many countries, but you only have to look at social media postings on accounts of well known and even less well known, footballers to see that there is still a long, long way to go. If players decide that taking the knee is past its usefulness and they want to express through other means, that's for them to decide, not us. In my opinion.
    Yet footballers and presenters continue to use the websites where the big problems lie (twitter for example).

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast