+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have had a thought

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    I think we need a striker that we know can deliver goals. We will have serious problems scoring goals with Wood as the main striker - we'd have to rely too heavily on the Saint and Bruno to give us those goals, but if they stop scoring we have a problem.

Not that I don't rate Wood at all, I simply think his goalscoring rate is too low to be a permanent choice up front for an injured Wilson, and I'm not crazy about the style of play we will need to employ with him up front although I realize this might be necessary at times.
    You can understand the club/Howe's logic trying to sign Maddison, a midfielder who scored 13 goals and a hat full of assists last season. When Wilson gets injured and Wood is playing we will need to add 10+ goals from midfield to compensate for his deficiencies up front.

Dunno if anyone else read the J7 interview where he said his son was asking him after every match why he didn't score & that for this coming season he has set himself a target of scoring 10 goals. That would be awesome to see big Joe get to double figures.

If Maxi can maintain consistency and provide 10+ assists and 10+ goals also it takes the pressure from the main striker.

Miggy has had a great preseason, I really hope for the clubs sake and for him as an individual he can keep that form running through the season. If he can chip in with 8-10 goals we're in a situation where we will have 2 wingers and a midfielder with 30 goals between them which would be night a day from previous seasons.

Wilson has to play 70%+ matches this season, with his ability should see him bring in around 15 goals. Wood will scored maybe 5 goals. Bruno 5-10 goals. Tripz with a 5. Burn, Botman from set pieces can provide goals too so combined 8 goals from the CBs would be an awesome return.

We're looking at around 70 goals across the first team is potentially achievable.

With the addition of a Sesko, young quality striker to push Wilson, someone hunger with a high developmental ceiling, could also contribute.

I'm not fussed who scores the goals as long as we are winning matches and progressing up the league.

Anywhere between 6-8th in the league this year would represent a real statement IMO.

Nicking a Euro spot in one of the less comps & a great cup run would be brilliant, a real statement of intent which will set us up for 23/24 season.

23/24 is going to be the season we build on this seasons foundation. I think we will see NUFC accelerate everything next summer.

It's the end of the shirt sponsorship deal with Fun88, Kit deal with Castore ends also. Eales will have had a whole year in the job to expand out commercial revenue streams, of which we have massive scope for development. This impacts out ability to spend and compete with the next tier of clubs, Spurs, Ar$e & Munure stepping over the likes of West Ham, Leicester, Villa etc whom we are currently in direct competition this season.

23/24 we will go back in for Diaby and that ilk of player and with a birth in the Europa league or Conference we will be a far more attractive proposition for that calibre of player.

However, sat typing this, I feel like a kid of Christmas Eve. I can not wait for tomorrow to come. Roll on 3pm the noise and atmosphere in SJP is going to paralyse Forest. Hopefully they will be a dear in the headlights and we will batter them.

A great start to the season will put the cat among the pigeons and really p!ss a lot of those salty pricks of Villa, Everton, Leicester, Spurs, Ar$e, Manure etc right off.

I can't wait HWtL !

P
    Quote Originally Posted by Alberts__Lob View Post
    He's hopeless as a striker that's why....he's a beast in midfield though

Eddie also said Jacob Murphy can play upfront.......maybe it's just my memory but i can't remember him ever playing there
    Joelinton last played striker against Norwch away and he scored twice.

Quote Originally Posted by liikape View Post
    P

Joelinton last played striker against Norwch away and he scored twice.
    He's not an out and out striker though and is nowhere near as clinical as Wilson. I think he'd be ok upfront for a game or two if Wilson/Wood were injured but he's far better in midfield

Quote Originally Posted by Alberts__Lob View Post
    He's not an out and out striker though and is nowhere near as clinical as Wilson. I think he'd be ok upfront for a game or two if Wilson/Wood were injured but he's far better in midfield
    Yes you’re right but he is still decent back-up. We need young striker but it cant be forced.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)