+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have had a thought

Have had a thought

Would it be best not to sign anyone at the moment and see how the team progresses over the next few weeks .
    And have the cash available towards the end of the transfer window when clubs and players might be more amenable to doing a deal

Quote Originally Posted by 5under1and View Post
    Would it be best not to sign anyone at the moment and see how the team progresses over the next few weeks .
    And have the cash available towards the end of the transfer window when clubs and players might be more amenable to doing a deal
    It appears that we have multiple irons in the fire. Cornet was a 3rd or 4th choice and we have offers out for our 1st and 2nd choice players which are still in play.

Clubs will do more business in the next few weeks as deadline day looms, it's always the case.

Players quoted at +£10m their value will suddenly become available at more realistic prices as we go towards the backend of the month.

So in short, yeah, we seem to be keeping our powder dry.

I know what you mean, but we know how much we need a striker regardless of how we do in the first few games because Wilson WILL get injured at some point and Wood is absolutely not the man to step into his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    I know what you mean, but we know how much we need a striker regardless of how we do in the first few games because Wilson WILL get injured at some point and Wood is absolutely not the man to step into his shoes.
    With out a doubt se need a striker, that Isak lad might come down in price. However we are still in thr mix for Sesko.

The club have hit a wall with Morrison die to Leicester expecting us to pay the 15% sell of fee then owe Norwich which we won't pay.

So focus should now turn to thr £45m bid for Sesko.

It's getting to the point where the best result for the course of our season might be to draw Saturday's match 0-0 with us putting in an AWFUL performance up front with us creating lots of wasted chances.

It might just convince the higher ups that we should prioritise striker recruitment first and everything else, including improving the midfield later.

I'm worried that Howay and others think our existing striker lineup can take us to January. I'm happy for the Maddison deal to stall, get a striker and then go back later to play games with that deal.
    Last edited by trinitoon; 05-08-2022 at 05:49 AM.

I think if Leicester sell Fofana to Chelsea for £70 million+ Maddison will be going nowhere this window as they'll have plenty of money to spend on their targets.

If Wilson picks up a minor injury against Forest tomorrow it might emphasize how important it is we get a striker in (i think the club probably know this however)

I think we need a striker that we know can deliver goals. We will have serious problems scoring goals with Wood as the main striker - we'd have to rely too heavily on the Saint and Bruno to give us those goals, but if they stop scoring we have a problem.

Not that I don't rate Wood at all, I simply think his goalscoring rate is too low to be a permanent choice up front for an injured Wilson, and I'm not crazy about the style of play we will need to employ with him up front although I realize this might be necessary at times.

Eddie said in his press conference today that Maxi and Joe can play upfront if needed....

Quote Originally Posted by Alberts__Lob View Post
    Eddie said in his press conference today that Maxi and Joe can play upfront if needed....
    Joe used to get a lot of stick when he played out of position up front.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Joe used to get a lot of stick when he played out of position up front.
    He's hopeless as a striker that's why....he's a beast in midfield though

Eddie also said Jacob Murphy can play upfront.......maybe it's just my memory but i can't remember him ever playing there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)