+ Visit Cambridge United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Football league highlights.

Football league highlights.

Watched it yesterday, the Newmarket road end was an embarrassment in 1970 when United went up the first time.

It smacks of the southern league 1954, oh thats when it was built or there about.

Its now 2022, everyone moves on, but one.

I enjoy watching The Big Match Revisted,do you watch it Frank,it shows highlights from games in the 70's and 80's,give it a look if you dont,I reckon it's up your street

ITV4 tomorrow (Sat) 10.30am

Ive seen them all. Modern players cant touch those lads for talent. Todays players can run all day , built like an ox, 6ft 5in, but cant make the ball talk.

On the Big Match, Willie Carr was taking corners on the right hand side, using his right foot, but curling them in with the outside of his right foot. To him it was nothing.

Right where he wanted to put it. Todays football is tragic, sterile, empty, predictable, ordinary, dull, low grade.

All the nippers of the past, Beardsley, Stiles, Bremner, Carr, Giles, Keegan, Maradona, Gray, Best, George, they are legion, today they wont get a game.
    There are no players that can walk through a defence anymore. Never mind that, there are no inductively brilliant passers anymore.

Tragic. Not worth the money.

I agree that the game has grown more sterile since the 70's but don't you think that the p!ayers have become athletic since then,the player of old played 45 minutes then had a fag and a quick beer at half time,they was a product of their day and like a 1978 Granada engine did the job but wasn't very finely tuned,sputtered along at times leaking oil because and didn't get the maximum horsepower from what it could achieve,you can't compare a car of today to a car of 50'years back and that goes the way of players,back in the day the Conference was full of pub clubs and players that was way lad their best before date and clinging on to their last footballing pay packet before going to civvy street to work in an office,the players of the National League could easily play in the old division 2 such is their fitness and finesse,we was lucky to have seen those players Frank but things have probably improved in the game

Ah, Granadas, happy memories of them.

If you ask a modern player to curl in a cross from the right hand side, using the outside of his right foot, he wont be able too.

Most wide players, when taking a corner, or centreing from wide, 75 per cent of the time, hit the first defender. When i was a lad, i played on the wing, i could hit anyone from anywhere out wide. Beckham was the last one to be able to do that. He was a nipper compared to the giants of today.

Players who can play are filtered out, they are still there. Why is a mystery. Drones, zombies, terminators that lumber around are the picks of today.

How that Tottenham midfielder ever got to play for England is AMAZING. Wots his name. Theres nothing to him but beef.

Modern football is of a lower grade than the 60s and 70s. In those days you could call good football art, now even the good games are splashes of paint by chimps on canvass.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)