+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barnsley v Cheltenham, match thoughts

Yes Thomas had a good game and scored MOM , Syles played better at left wingback , Mcarthy played well , could be a big favourite with fans , Anderson and Kitchin look liabilies , overall decent performce , its 3 point but a long way to go 🤔
    UP THE DUFF

Luke Thomas MOTM by a country mile.
    Slight improvement on last week and now I reckon Duff will have noted Styles best position.
    Based on what I’ve seen today I’m not sure Alfie May is our answer up top.
    Our front line will continue struggle unless the midfield starts to provide to telling passes and Thomas was the only one to offer that today.
    Last edited by POGGYWELL; 06-08-2022 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Alfie

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Yes Thomas had a good game and scored MOM , Syles played better at left wingback , Mcarthy played well , could be a big favourite with fans , Anderson and Kitchin look liabilies , overall decent performce , its 3 point but a long way to go 🤔
    UP THE DUFF
    Styles looks way better at LWB Roma and more importantly the balance of the midfield looks better with Styles at LWB .

I know Val wasn't everyone's cup of char but he was no mug and played players to their strengths .

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I’m going.
    After last weeks palaver at Plymouth this is my starting line up …..

Collins
    McCarthy - Mads - Sraha
    Williams - Luca - Wolfe - Oduor
    Thomas - Marsh - Aichison

I wouldn’t have Cundy, Kichen or Styles near the bench.

Predicted star player - Thomas.
    Score line - either 1-1 or 2-1.
    Thoughts.
    Firstly - the empty seats in the Ponty is a gauge of the impact Paul Conways has had on the club.

Player notes.
    Kitchen - played much better at centre back.
    Williams - had a terrible game.
    McCarthy - looks good.

Aichison - looks sharp.
    Norwood - I didn’t get much of a view of him ont tele at Plymouth - but he looks a real find.

Although I predicted Thomas would be star man - and he did play well - my MOTM was Benson - although he clearly isn’t fully fit and faded towards the end.

Although the formation is said to be 352 - IMO it’s more like 343 when opposing defenders have the ball - but the high press needs some work.

I like Cheltenham’s big striker - exactly the type of player that Barnsley is missing.

I know it’s Cheltenham - and with the players Barnsley have got we should be beating them - but Barnsley can only beat what’s in front of them - so the pleasing thing wasn’t so much the win it was more pleasing to see the effort of the players and the running off the ball for each other.

Just listened to the audio commentary - sounded a much better performance than last week.

Really pleased for Luke Thomas.

W.I.P. but a good and much needed 3 points.

Probably a good time to be playing Derby away early season next week - a point I would be happy with, 3 points and can start to think we are on a upward trend at last, followed by 2 games at home.

I need to get off my ar*e and get to a game.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Styles looks way better at LWB Roma and more importantly the balance of the midfield looks better with Styles at LWB .

I know Val wasn't everyone's cup of char but he was no mug and played players to their strengths .
    Agree Animal - play him in that position is a no brainer to me.

Just shows you what I know about football , I did not want either Thomas or Benson in the side & I will put my hand up I got it wrong, I thought both players played very well with Thomas edging MOM because of his goal but I also thought Benson had a very good game & also Williams played very well making some really telling runs both on & off the ball , Styles did well at left wing back with Mcarthy looking pretty solid & even Cole put a good shift in when he came on , all in all not a great performance but they worked hard & worked as a team deservedly picking up the 3 points .

Has summat happened behind closed doors with Iseka, because it looks like hes definitely not part of Duff's plans.

Im delighted with the win, and pleased as well for Thomas, as Ive also said I hope it works out for him here.

At least we can say we're still unbeaten at home this season. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Has summat happened behind closed doors with Iseka, because it looks like hes definitely not part of Duff's plans.

Im delighted with the win, and pleased as well for Thomas, as Ive also said I hope it works out for him here.

At least we can say we're still unbeaten at home this season. 👍
    Actually since April 2016 🤔🤔🤔

Av been art all day on a non football trip.

Cheltenham will be a bottom heyf club so it was important we beat them as there will be tougher tests ahead.

Better to judge after abart ten games when the league starts to take shape.

Pleased for Luke Thomas. He had a difficult time during the Ismael regime but by all accounts he seems to have got his mojo back at this level.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 06-08-2022 at 06:23 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast