+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Paqueta / Maddison

Paqueta / Maddison

does anyone else think the Maddison chase was to keep the media off the scent and we were really working on Paqueta?

It just seems strange to me that its all gone very quiet on Paqueta and the offers we are putting in for Maddison are well short of Leicester's valuation.

I mean, we put in a couple of low ball offers knowing full well Leicester would reject and the media are all over it but in reality we are tying up a deal for Paqueta.

IF Leicester had accepted, it would have been a bargain for us, his goals last season made the difference from them finishing top 8 and finishing 16th.

the old rope - a - dope tactic

Nope. We were/are obviously very serious about him. The only Paquetta link has come from fans, hasn't it? We bid for one and haven't bid for the other and I don't think our owners are in the business of playing games.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Nope. We were/are obviously very serious about him. The only Paquetta link has come from fans, hasn't it? We bid for one and haven't bid for the other and I don't think our owners are in the business of playing games.
    we did bid for him in January and got Bruno instead.

I dont mean they are playing games, its clever business sense, like when Henderson was all over the media, he was our number 1 target for goalkeeper yet we signed Pope out of the blue

Possibly we might go back for him but I'd say Maddison was the current number 1 target.

Lyon's president said in June there were multiple offers on the table for Paqueta from Premier League clubs. Whether we are one of them or not who knows? Our scouts will have been paying close attention to him whilst casting their eye over Bruno you'd think. We're definitely after attacking players though which is the main thing

I think a lot of the Paqueta rumour is because he came to Newcastle to visit Bruno a few months back. They are mates. Could be something, could be nothing.
    I see Cucarella (spelling?) signed for Chelsea for 60 million. Makes 60 million for Madison seem cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    I see Cucarella (spelling?) signed for Chelsea for 60 million. Makes 60 million for Madison seem cheap!
    THIS is what makes me think we are really signing Paqueta.

He was our number 1 target in January, he wasn't interested in moving during the season, someone close to Paqueta and Bruno (an agent i think) told us that Bruno was open to moving mid season, so we got him.

Cucarella is a full back who scored 1 goal last season yet goes for 60 million
    Maddison scored 12 goals and 8 assists for Leicester, yet we are bidding 40million for their star player?

It screams tyre kicking exercise to me the more i think about it. I know Dan Ashworth was at their training ground last week but we don't really know why.

I have a serious sneaky feeling we will sign Paqueta shortly, maybe even before the Brighton match next week.
    Nothing will happen over the weekend because Lyon have to inform their shareholders and the stock exchange of any player sales before they can tell the media, but there's definitely a rabbit off somewhere

or maybe its just my conspiracy theory, sceptical mind working overtime

We’re building the club slowly, organically. We simply can’t afford to pay these huge fees at this stage of our development given FFP constraints. We need to sort our off the field finances out first hence the appointments of Dan Ashworth and Darren Eales in particular. Slow and steady progression. Top 10 finish and a cup run have to be the aim for the season. Enjoy the ride and don’t forget how far we have come in such a short space of time under the new owners.

I can see us getting Broja on loan and, at best, one other signing. Probably a right winger. I don’t think it will be Paqueta or Maddison.

Quote Originally Posted by 18nufc92 View Post
    We’re building the club slowly, organically. We simply can’t afford to pay these huge fees at this stage of our development given FFP constraints. We need to sort our off the field finances out first hence the appointments of Dan Ashworth and Darren Eales in particular. Slow and steady progression. Top 10 finish and a cup run have to be the aim for the season. Enjoy the ride and don’t forget how far we have come in such a short space of time under the new owners.

I can see us getting Broja on loan and, at best, one other signing. Probably a right winger. I don’t think it will be Paqueta or Maddison.
    you are probably right mate, im fully aware of where we have come from, and its refreshing to think, this is the first time in many years that we dont go into a new season looking over our shoulders.

the second half of last season, we had top 4 form with this squad , people forget that was with Chris Wood playing up top on his own, I think i we can get into the top 6 this year. , but yes, lets just enjoy the ride.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)