+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All our ex players are now good enough

All our ex players are now good enough

Good enough to still be bought by the likes of Moyes , Lampard etc,to keep doing a job in the PL , but not good enough to keep us up last season . I read this comment on another website, and it got me thinking about our current situation. I wish them all the best for the future , but it doesn’t add up for me . Am I missing something here ?

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    Good enough to still be bought by the likes of Moyes , Lampard etc,to keep doing a job in the PL , but not good enough to keep us up last season . I read this comment on another website, and it got me thinking about our current situation. I wish them all the best for the future , but it doesn’t add up for me . Am I missing something here ?
    I kept on saying last season that ALL of our relegated squad were good enough, but Dyche insisted on 4-4-2 and hoofball.

If Jackson had been handed the reins at Christmas we would have stayed up.

Wood, Pope, Mee, Tarkowski, Collins, Cornet and McNeil will all be playing in this season's EPL, that's 70% of last season's team deemed good enough to still be in the EPL.

Pace's biggest mistake so far was offering Dyche and Co. a 4 year contract, they had gone stale and like Wood acknowledges about himself were all living in the "Comfort Zone".

Onwards & forwards eh malwayne?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I kept on saying last season that ALL of our relegated squad were good enough, but Dyche insisted on 4-4-2 and hoofball.

If Jackson had been handed the reins at Christmas we would have stayed up.

Wood, Pope, Mee, Tarkowski, Collins, Cornet and McNeil will all be playing in this season's EPL, that's 70% of last season's team deemed good enough to still be in the EPL.

Pace's biggest mistake so far was offering Dyche and Co. a 4 year contract, they had gone stale and like Wood acknowledges about himself were all living in the "Comfort Zone".

Onwards & forwards eh malwayne?
    I totally agree BT, Sean Dyche must get credit for keeping us in the premier league on such a comparatively low budget. In the end though it was Dyche's insistence on playing 4-4-2 hoof ball along with failing to acknowledge that the form of some players needed addressing by them dropping to the bench, but he would not give any younger players game time.

I would not agree with you on Wood, Vydra & JRod should have been starting most games, when Barnes was injured. I have a friend who is an ardent Leeds United supporter and he says that Bamford was a vast improvement on Wood obviously Dyche would disagree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    I

I have a friend who is an ardent Leeds United supporter and he says that Bamford was a vast improvement on Wood obviously Dyche would disagree with him.
    I think SD had a falling out with Bamford very early on and that clearly influenced his decision not to play him.We all know what Bamford went on to do with Leeds even getting an England call up yet SD would not give him game time here.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    I think SD had a falling out with Bamford very early on and that clearly influenced his decision not to play him.We all know what Bamford went on to do with Leeds even getting an England call up yet SD would not give him game time here.
    Was it also not the case with Gibson, that after a disagreement with Dyche, was was virtually banished from the first team squad.

It does appear that Dyche's attitude was my way or no way which is a pity because of its affect on all the players. Cornet was a good example in the first few weeks he was a breath of fresh air, then he had to conform and play the "Burnley Way" meaning Dyche Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    Was it also not the case with Gibson, that after a disagreement with Dyche, was was virtually banished from the first team squad.

It does appear that Dyche's attitude was my way or no way which is a pity because of its affect on all the players. Cornet was a good example in the first few weeks he was a breath of fresh air, then he had to conform and play the "Burnley Way" meaning Dyche Ball.
    It is a funny old world-both Gibson and Bamford have gone on to do well with their respective clubs.Bamford has a good eye for goal which we needed so badly last season to avoid relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Seven of last season's squad have been signed by PL teams, the rest are now plying their trade at a lower level, not wanted by PL clubs. You need a squad of at least 15/16 PL players, possibly more, to survive at that level, which leaves last season's squad a good 8/9 players short 0f the quality required, which we all knew. Which is why we were relegated, all entirely predictable, and indeed predicted by many on here.

I would humbly suggest, with all due respect of course, that anyone who thinks we were relegated because of Sean Dyche and hoofball needs to give their head a wobble.

Talking of ex-players, I'm watching Sam Vokes this afternoon trying to bully our CBs.
    No chance - he's in Santos' pocket and has just been subbed. Good player though.

With two up top we would have pi$$ed this game.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Seven of last season's squad have been signed by PL teams, the rest are now plying their trade at a lower level, not wanted by PL clubs. You need a squad of at least 15/16 PL players, possibly more, to survive at that level, which leaves last season's squad a good 8/9 players short 0f the quality required, which we all knew. Which is why we were relegated, all entirely predictable, and indeed predicted by many on here.

I would humbly suggest, with all due respect of course, that anyone who thinks we were relegated because of Sean Dyche and hoofball needs to give their head a wobble.
    I gave my head a wobble and still think it was down to Dyche and hoofball. He was or became too inflexible. He insisted on his way or the highway. He publicly criticised Cornet for being too exuberant.

He did some great things and deserves credit for that. In the end he was, at times, loyal to players who should have dropped and was unwilling to give youth a chance whilst the squad got older. A bit a case of Nero fiddling while Rome burnt, I think.

The fact that so many players are regarded as PL quality tells you something about how it was under Dyche.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)