+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Maidenhead Utd. 06/08/22 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    Chesterfield blowing 2 goal lead at Dorking
    They had their goalkeeper red carded after 28 minutes and like us had no sub keeper on the bench. A lot of Chessie fans are blaming the officials, but after seeing a video of the event it was a clear red card for deliberately stamping on an opponent after the ball had been cleared. I think that means a 3 match ban, so they will need to get cover in before they play us on 20th Aug.

Only realised today that game is now a 5:20 kick off, so it must be on BT Sport.

Today was my first opening day fixture since a certain 5-0 victory over the Bradford massive back in 2009. Could easily have been five again today when things clicked and we swept Maidenhead aside, but we were also incredibly sloppy at times and a better team would perhaps have capitalised on our gifting of possession in bad areas.

Some very encouraging signs, though…

1. Langstaff is a proper striker. Took his first two chances well, could have scored another two in the second half.

2. Austin is an attack-minded midfielder who will always put a shift in.

3. Ruben is a class above everyone else at this level.

4. When he wasn’t guilty of surrendering possession in dangerous areas, Baldwin looks like an excellent addition.

5. JOB got through an awful lot of work with Ed Francis in the centre of the pitch, so we could afford to ease Palmer back.

6. Great strike from Joel Taylor for the third, but I didn’t think either of the wing backs did enough offensively otherwise (although Taylor did deliver a great cross in the first half that shocked the entire crowd as he had hitherto looked incapable of doing anything with his right foot).

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    They won and he got sent off in the last minute!
    No use in the next match then

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    With the pace of Langstaff we can be more direct at times, whereas Wootton didn't have the pace to get away from his marker. That's why our build up play was at times slow and laborious..
    I liked Wooton as a player and a person but when I saw Langstaff against Forest I just saw a player that just wants to stick the ball in the net at all costs. I’m on hols in Greece which stopped me putting 20 quid on him at 20-1 as the leagues top scorer this morning, if at worse case he’s second to Mullen this season I will be shocked if he’s fit for most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Plenty of us give a ****. Hearing they had lost on the way home made a good day that bit better.

I rarely read the NEP, but I do like a glance at the comments after they have lost; one from Cloughie's Green Shirt......

Don't forget.
    The last 70 days the whole of the football World has been talking about Forest. (Except last Sunday).
    The players obviously felt the strain today.
    Next week at CG will be easier on their nerves.
    They can be better, they know that, and they will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    They had their goalkeeper red carded after 28 minutes and like us had no sub keeper on the bench. A lot of Chessie fans are blaming the officials, but after seeing a video of the event it was a clear red card for deliberately stamping on an opponent after the ball had been cleared. I think that means a 3 match ban, so they will need to get cover in before they play us on 20th Aug.

Only realised today that game is now a 5:20 kick off, so it must be on BT Sport.
    It is on BT Sport. Hopefully a bumper crowd and hopefully we are on 9 points going in to that game.

Wootton... when interviewed he always seemed like a genuinely nice chap, and I can't fault his overall contribution in his time with us. Bur, I never really got what his strengths were. He wasn't a target man like Danny Wright who could make the ball stick up the top and give defenders a difficult afternoon and nor was he a fox in the box like Dennis. I generally felt he had a poor first touch and ran like he was wading through treacle. Add to that, his form nose dived after Christmas for two years running and so I'd have to conclude we won't miss him. Was he the problem? No, but he was part of it.

Had a few arguments with my brother about this as he thinks Wootton's goals will be difficult to replace. But having seen Langstaff in just 2 appearances, he is everything I want to see from a striker and absolutely everything Wootton isn't. Sorry Kyle 😒

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    Wootton... when interviewed he always seemed like a genuinely nice chap, and I can't fault his overall contribution in his time with us. Bur, I never really got what his strengths were. He wasn't a target man like Danny Wright who could make the ball stick up the top and give defenders a difficult afternoon and nor was he a fox in the box like Dennis. I generally felt he had a poor first touch and ran like he was wading through treacle. Add to that, his form nose dived after Christmas for two years running and so I'd have to conclude we won't miss him. Was he the problem? No, but he was part of it.

Had a few arguments with my brother about this as he thinks Wootton's goals will be difficult to replace. But having seen Langstaff in just 2 appearances, he is everything I want to see from a striker and absolutely everything Wootton isn't. Sorry Kyle 😒
    They are different types of strikers. I think folk are being a bit harsh on Wootton, especially as he didn’t play under LW.
    I do agree completely that Langstaff looks like a genuine find, a surprise given what he did last season. More of the same this season could be just what the doctor ordered and what secures our return to the EFL. The best buy is we are not worried about losing him anytime soon, unless the money is too good to be true. A 3 year contract seems a great but if business by Notts.
    Last edited by Notts78; 06-08-2022 at 09:47 PM.

Not sure why we are talking about Wootton. Did he do well for Notts during his time at Meadow Lane? Was he one of our better performers, more influential and important players whilst here? Did he have a good goals return for Notts?

More importantly he's gone, let him go and play elsewhere. We have new players can't we just concentrate on the current squad not the past?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Not sure why we are talking about Wootton. Did he do well for Notts during his time at Meadow Lane? Was he one of our better performers, more influential and important players whilst here? Did he have a good goals return for Notts?

More importantly he's gone, let him go and play elsewhere. We have new players can't we just concentrate on the current squad not the past?
    I take your point as maybe it's dominated this thread, but we are a club rich in history. Talking about the past is important. It's also very relevant to compare a new striker to one recently departed.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast