+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by magpie2k4 View Post
    I thought we were awful yesterday. We never looked like genuinely creating anything, but rather had three lucky moments scored (and scored well)

It felt like the players were still on holiday. The game was flat, the atmosphere was flat and that’s because it was boring to watch. The pass accuracy was terrible, the inventiveness non existent. It felt like a team of strangers, but 8 of them played regularly last season.
    For 80 minutes it was a cure for insomnia.

If we hasn’t played against utter dross, we would have lost.
    Completely agree with this, apart from the three goals we were garbage, the only reason we didn't lose was because the opposition was so much worse than us. For 90% of the game when we had the ball our players were content to just stand there and do nothing. They didn't move to create anything while the ball was played across the back up a little bit and then back to to the keeper and then around the back again. Next game you go to I suggest you actually look at the players and the movement they do when we get the ball, it seems to be some sort of game where we get the ball and suddenly our players just stop and stand where they are.

Also I don't think I have ever seen a team that passes the ball back to the keeper so much. If I had to take a guess at the player that received the most passed I would say Slocombe by a country mile. I still have no confidence in his ability, is passing is awful at best, his awareness of what is going on around him is laughable and on occasion he held onto the ball when opposition were closing on him and he didn't realise it, also if there is a opportunity to get the ball moving quickly and start an attack is wither seems oblivious to it or just will not take the chance.

On this display, if this is the level of ability, I think we will be lucky to get into the playoffs this season. This is the same cr@p as last season and the seasons before that and playing in that way hasn't gotten us promoted yet and won't this season. People really need to take off the rose tinted goggles they wear to the game and actually watch what is really happening. Watch how when we get the ball our players come to a halt where they are and just stand there, how while they are standing there as iff stuck in mud the ball is just palyed around at the back, how we cause ourselves problems that better opposition would punish us for.

I really want us to get promoted but cannot see it happening this season on what was on display yesterday.

It definitely wasn't a great game to watch and certainly a little frustrating at times. But, as I said on the match thread, this was exactly the type of game that we struggled to win last season, let alone win convincingly - which we most definitely did.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusCole View Post
    Completely agree with this, apart from the three goals we were garbage, the only reason we didn't lose was because the opposition was so much worse than us. For 90% of the game when we had the ball our players were content to just stand there and do nothing. They didn't move to create anything while the ball was played across the back up a little bit and then back to to the keeper and then around the back again. Next game you go to I suggest you actually look at the players and the movement they do when we get the ball, it seems to be some sort of game where we get the ball and suddenly our players just stop and stand where they are.

Also I don't think I have ever seen a team that passes the ball back to the keeper so much. If I had to take a guess at the player that received the most passed I would say Slocombe by a country mile. I still have no confidence in his ability, is passing is awful at best, his awareness of what is going on around him is laughable and on occasion he held onto the ball when opposition were closing on him and he didn't realise it, also if there is a opportunity to get the ball moving quickly and start an attack is wither seems oblivious to it or just will not take the chance.

On this display, if this is the level of ability, I think we will be lucky to get into the playoffs this season. This is the same cr@p as last season and the seasons before that and playing in that way hasn't gotten us promoted yet and won't this season. People really need to take off the rose tinted goggles they wear to the game and actually watch what is really happening. Watch how when we get the ball our players come to a halt where they are and just stand there, how while they are standing there as iff stuck in mud the ball is just palyed around at the back, how we cause ourselves problems that better opposition would punish us for.

I really want us to get promoted but cannot see it happening this season on what was on display yesterday.
    Hand the title to Solihull. Wrexham were largely poor yesterday. Halifax lost. Dagenham and Chesterfield scraped draws. That’s all the bookies top 6 sorted. If only a season was based on 1 set of 90 minutes, that incidentally we won, 3-0.

apart from the three goals we were garbage

On this display, if this is the level of ability, I think we will be lucky to get into the playoffs this season. This is the same cr@p as last season and the seasons before that and playing in that way hasn't gotten us promoted yet and won't this season. People really need to take off the rose tinted goggles they wear to the game and actually watch what is really happening.
    A couple of points:

1. We've had one league game (that we won 3-0). It's a bit early to write us off as being 'the same cr@p as last season.
    2. Yesterday was very warm. I know they're professional athletes, but it's still difficult to play at an energetic pace in the heat.
    3. Maidenhead came for 0-0, which always makes for a difficult encounter. We did struggle to break them down, but then we were pretty clinical with the few chances we did create.

Kin ell I think the op maybe had a point, but this is extrapolating what’s going to happen for the next 45 games based on 1.

We’ve not really seen a competitive league game at ML since maybe the Chrsterfield game( happy to be corrected on that one) that’s the hazards of playing in this league where’s just a lot of rubbish teams. I find it hard to believe there’s going to be one worse than Maidenhead though.

Is this what’s it like to be a Man City or Liverpool fan?
    Last edited by BigFatPie; 07-08-2022 at 04:24 PM.

‘We still have another couple of gears to go through’

One of my pet hate sayings. If the gears are there then get used to using them for when you need them. Didn’t look like there were extra gears to me anyway, basically a back 7 passing backwards or sideways. Managers call it game management.

I’m not fearful for the season and I think we will make the playoffs comfortably, but if this is how we’re going to set up this year then it’s going to be a tedious watch.

They didn't move to create anything while the ball was played across the back up a little bit and then back to to the keeper and then around the back again.

Wish I had a pound for every time Macca had his hand up in the air, pleading for the ball over the top while we peed around with it at the back. We deffo need to mix it up a bit more but, maybe that will come, ay?

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    2. Yesterday was very warm. I know they're professional athletes, but it's still difficult to play at an energetic pace in the heat.
    Forecast for next Saturday in Boreham Wood in 33c and no cloud.
    We've probably played a fair number of friendlies in that level heat over the years but not many competitive matches. I wouldn't last 5 minutes sitting in an unshaded part of the stand in those conditions, never mind running around on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Hand the title to Solihull. Wrexham were largely poor yesterday. Halifax lost. Dagenham and Chesterfield scraped draws. That’s all the bookies top 6 sorted. If only a season was based on 1 set of 90 minutes, that incidentally we won, 3-0.
    There is a saying: You learn more from failure from success.

People are seeing the gloss of the goals and completely ignoring the dross of the rest of the game. The same style of play that has not got us promoted since we got relegated into this league is not basing it on 90 minutes, it is basing it on multiple seasons of cr@p playing and tactics.

We will not get promoted this season, that is my opinion. I do not believe we will get into the playoffs if that is all we are capable of.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast