+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Controversial Opinion

I've read the "will be lucky to get into the playoffs this season..." comment in each and every season we've had in NL. And let's be totally honest we weren't lucky to get in any of them. So this is a good sign.

The game description seems very similar to the home game with Eastleigh last season, not exciting, very comfortable and 3 points. I blamed the opponents lack of bringing anything positive that day but was delighted with their approach, the result and not being concerned at Meadow Lane.

One of the most frustrating things was the lack of movement. There was very little movement all game, and this was particularly noticeable when we had a throw….. no one moved and gave an option.

1 match in and we can already analyse the whole season?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I've read the "will be lucky to get into the playoffs this season..." comment in each and every season we've had in NL. And let's be totally honest we weren't lucky to get in any of them. So this is a good sign.

The game description seems very similar to the home game with Eastleigh last season, not exciting, very comfortable and 3 points. I blamed the opponents lack of bringing anything positive that day but was delighted with their approach, the result and not being concerned at Meadow Lane.
    We did what we had to do to win the game convincingly, that's all that matters to me
    Yes it wasn't a great spectacle l, one of the most boring 3-0 wins i've ever season but i'd rather have 3 points than play great football and have lost.
    We know we will improve with time as well.
    3 new starters and a midfield that hardly played last season. Ed Francis looks a totally different player. Langstaff will score a bundle this season and our back 3 look stronger than ever with Baldwin
    Give it time people, it's one game 3 points

Slow and static for a lot of game but win when not on top form is how to get out of this league. Mond you, the opposition only came for a point and did not really attack. More difficult games on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusCole View Post
    There is a saying: You learn more from failure from success.

People are seeing the gloss of the goals and completely ignoring the dross of the rest of the game. The same style of play that has not got us promoted since we got relegated into this league is not basing it on 90 minutes, it is basing it on multiple seasons of cr@p playing and tactics.

We will not get promoted this season, that is my opinion. I do not believe we will get into the playoffs if that is all we are capable of.
    I haven’t seen anyone get carried away with yesterday. The most important man, LW, wasn’t overly happy with the overall performance. Writing any team off after one game is idiotic. Even if someone was hammered they are not done.
    If you think any NL team will play well for 46 games you clearly have no idea about football. In fact I will go further and say NO team in English football will play well EVERY game.
    There is a saying about teams who don’t play well and win.. you should look it up. I for one am happy that we were at 6/10 yesterday yet comfortably won.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I haven’t seen anyone get carried away with yesterday. The most important man, LW, wasn’t overly happy with the overall performance. Writing any team off after one game is idiotic. Even if someone was hammered they are not done.
    If you think any NL team will play well for 46 games you clearly have no idea about football. In fact I will go further and say NO team in English football will play well EVERY game.
    There is a saying about teams who don’t play well and win.. you should look it up. I for one am happy that we were at 6/10 yesterday yet comfortably won.
    Anyone watch Man City today?

West Ham set up for a draw, City just kept the ball at walking pace for most the game, only injecting pace into the attack a few times. Once 2-0 up Guardiola took the big hitters off as no point pushing them an risking injury...it's a long season!

Notts home record is that intimidating to the lower end teams, they just set up for a draw. I for one am happy if we leave some in the tank for tougher tests and protect key players. Only 3 points on offer whether we won 1-0, 3-0 or 8-0 so job well done and we go hard at BW on Saturday.

Yeh but, apart from scoring three goals, keeping a clean sheet, winning the game with your best player on the bench, never having to get out of second gear, what did The Magpies actually do yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusCole View Post
    Completely agree with this, apart from the three goals we were garbage, the only reason we didn't lose was because the opposition was so much worse than us. For 90% of the game when we had the ball our players were content to just stand there and do nothing. They didn't move to create anything while the ball was played across the back up a little bit and then back to to the keeper and then around the back again. Next game you go to I suggest you actually look at the players and the movement they do when we get the ball, it seems to be some sort of game where we get the ball and suddenly our players just stop and stand where they are.

Also I don't think I have ever seen a team that passes the ball back to the keeper so much. If I had to take a guess at the player that received the most passed I would say Slocombe by a country mile. I still have no confidence in his ability, is passing is awful at best, his awareness of what is going on around him is laughable and on occasion he held onto the ball when opposition were closing on him and he didn't realise it, also if there is a opportunity to get the ball moving quickly and start an attack is wither seems oblivious to it or just will not take the chance.

On this display, if this is the level of ability, I think we will be lucky to get into the playoffs this season. This is the same cr@p as last season and the seasons before that and playing in that way hasn't gotten us promoted yet and won't this season. People really need to take off the rose tinted goggles they wear to the game and actually watch what is really happening. Watch how when we get the ball our players come to a halt where they are and just stand there, how while they are standing there as iff stuck in mud the ball is just palyed around at the back, how we cause ourselves problems that better opposition would punish us for.

I really want us to get promoted but cannot see it happening this season on what was on display yesterday.
    No rose tinted tentacles here but I'd suggest you take off your pessimism googles as the players and managers don't deserve a pasting 1 game into the season which we won 3-0!
    Last edited by SwalePie; 08-08-2022 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Yeh but, apart from scoring three goals, keeping a clean sheet, winning the game with your best player on the bench, never having to get out of second gear, what did The Magpies actually do yesterday.
    Yeah but the tannoy was terrible and I didn't like the colour of Sam Austins boots!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast