+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First impressions

First impressions

The predicted top six are a level above us and both Livi and County - though they've lost twice - seem pretty solid.

Can't judge Killie yet.

But first impression is it's between the two Saints and us for safety, the play-off or relegation.

Going to be a long season.

Next week, and indeed the following weeks are going to be very big for us. We have to choose the right manager and hopefully bring in 2/3/4 decent players. This business will go a long way to shape our season. Should we become embroiled in a relegation dogfight then questions need to be asked of the Directors. Hopefully it won't come to that.

We need - at a minimum - three starters through the team by the close of the window, a leader at the back, a proper defensive midfielder and another forward, whose profile depends on how the new manager wants to play. Do that and the rest might be dragged along.

To me we're breaking the season down to not being isolated by the WC then hopefully pulling to safety in 2023. If you offered me 10th right now I'd be thrilled, then we start again next summer.

The directors will take their share of blame ofc but I'm not convinced it's all entirely fair. Regardless of how crap we were Jan-March, the players were still giving everything for GA - all the comebacks, SOD shoving Cornelius at County, KVV carrying us into Europe from his sick bed etc. And our last seven was W3 (including two huge victories in the top six) D1 L3 (a deflection at Tannadice and two v the OF, one of which was a dead rubber). So results had also recovered to what you'd call fine.

But you go straight from that to captain SOD being excommunicated and KVV admitting he let his team-mates down in the first games back!? Hammell seems to think pre-season was jogged in, there were hardly any friendlies, there are rumours the board held back transfer money from the manager - which flies in the face of the reset most folk felt he was due after getting over the line into Europe but wouldn't have been done without very good reason.

Something went horribly wrong over summer, I've no idea what. It may leak out in time, it may not, but I suspect there was a change in attitude/behaviour from the manager, the players said 'naw' and that was that. It's bad it cost us European money and a nice junkit to Norway but in the long-run it's better sooner than later - we just need to scramble to make up the lost ground and hope it doesn't prove fatal to our top-flight status.

Surely we don’t have to wait until a new manager is appointed before we sign anyone. It is blatantly obvious to any “WELL”fan were our deficiencies are in the team. Do we not have people in place already who have been scouting/looking for potential targets if this isn’t the case then IMO it will be the usual sign 3/4 players before transfer window closes (panic buys in other words) We need proven players who are going to enhance the team and E up to speed fitness wise and with the Scottish game. As things stand at the moment I cannot see where or next goal is coming from never mind next victory

Agree we need new faces and perhaps too late to attract players of quality.
    I would play our youth as they are ready and better those playing .. Johnston at full back and Cornelius in mid-field alongside Slattery/Goss/Maguire. We have to persist with the players we have and play correct position.

Upfront pointless playing Shields out wide .. have Shields partner KVV thru the middle and Mahon playing wide.
    Again it’s who we have.

I would inform Morris and Efford their future is the bench or elsewhere.

The club's recruitment system will already have identified areas of the team to strengthen and indeed specific targets. It would be unfair on any new manager arriving this week (hopefully) to be told we've already signed players for you and spent your budget. Surely this topic will have to be part of the selection and interview process? The new man's priorities may not be the same as those of Stevie Hammell or the directors.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    The club's recruitment system will already have identified areas of the team to strengthen and indeed specific targets. It would be unfair on any new manager arriving this week (hopefully) to be told we've already signed players for you and spent your budget. Surely this topic will have to be part of the selection and interview process? The new man's priorities may not be the same as those of Stevie Hammell or the directors.
    Surely Wellup4it the new man’s priority has to be the same as Stevie Hammell and the directors is to make sure we stay in the Premier league first and foremost

Right now I’d bite your hand off for league survival this season. It’s going to be a long, long campaign I fear.

We are going to pay the price for spawny-ing into Europe with a team which won a grand total of three matches between December and May last season and that may very well do us more harm than good in the long run.

[QUOTE=LawSteelman;40092554]Right now I’d bite your hand off for league survival this season. It’s going to be a long, long campaign I fear.

We are going to pay the price for spawny-ing into Europe with a team which won a grand total of three matches between December and May last season and that may very well do us more harm than good in the long run.[/QUOTE

Alternatively we survive and we get away with it. And going 5th to 10th is better than being 8th twice.

I'm maintaining my status level as very concerned until the end of the window. Next level is full blown panic mind...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)