+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC Commonwealth coverage

BBC Commonwealth coverage

Do any of you staunch unionists on here know what the first B stands for in BBC?

Reason I ask is that I've been watching the Commonwealth Games coverage, been some great performances by all nations with the home nations really excelling. But for some reason during one of events last week where Scotland took gold and NI took silver with England nowhere near it was announced as 'great for team GB' - ten minutes later a gold for England was declared as 'great for team England'.

This morning there was some mixed diving, Scotland won gold in one of the events with a cracking performance. While the medal presentation was ongoing and the Scottish National Anthem was being played two English divers who had just won gold in another event were being unterviewed - no attempt to show the live medal presentation and total disregard for the national anthem of a British nation by the BBC. Disclaimer - whether you recognise Flower Of Scotland as the Scottish National Anthem is irrelevant, it's recognised by the event committee and supposedly by the BBC as a National Anthem and should be respected as such - they should not have conducted an interview whilst this orv any other anthem was being played.

Five minutes on and there's live coverage of an English gold medal presentation with total respect shown to the tune chosen by the team as the English National Anthem - strangely also, and more traditionally, the anthem of the Women's Institute IMO another Kow Tow to female supremacy.

Scant coverage has been given to any Welsh or NI success, Guernsey got a few medals and received more coverage than either nation.

So, is the BBC a British institution or an English one? I'm saying English. Should they not therefore re-brand as the EBC?

I'm about to do an Islay and send a strongly worded email to my MP about the disrespect shown to the Scottish National Anthem - I doubt the stuck up arsehole will do anything about it but worth a go I suppose.

Some very fair comments. I think the BBC has no hope of actually being a British organisation within Britain. Scots who want independence appear not to want anything to do with the concept of being British and Scottish, while the independence idea is being promoted. No matter what they do they get pelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Do any of you staunch unionists on here know what the first B stands for in BBC?

Reason I ask is that I've been watching the Commonwealth Games coverage, been some great performances by all nations with the home nations really excelling. But for some reason during one of events last week where Scotland took gold and NI took silver with England nowhere near it was announced as 'great for team GB' - ten minutes later a gold for England was declared as 'great for team England'.

This morning there was some mixed diving, Scotland won gold in one of the events with a cracking performance. While the medal presentation was ongoing and the Scottish National Anthem was being played two English divers who had just won gold in another event were being unterviewed - no attempt to show the live medal presentation and total disregard for the national anthem of a British nation by the BBC. Disclaimer - whether you recognise Flower Of Scotland as the Scottish National Anthem is irrelevant, it's recognised by the event committee and supposedly by the BBC as a National Anthem and should be respected as such - they should not have conducted an interview whilst this orv any other anthem was being played.

Five minutes on and there's live coverage of an English gold medal presentation with total respect shown to the tune chosen by the team as the English National Anthem - strangely also, and more traditionally, the anthem of the Women's Institute IMO another Kow Tow to female supremacy.

Scant coverage has been given to any Welsh or NI success, Guernsey got a few medals and received more coverage than either nation.

So, is the BBC a British institution or an English one? I'm saying English. Should they not therefore re-brand as the EBC?

I'm about to do an Islay and send a strongly worded email to my MP about the disrespect shown to the Scottish National Anthem - I doubt the stuck up arsehole will do anything about it but worth a go I suppose.
    B stands for Broadcasting I think

I thought it was the
    Buggering Broadcasting Company

Quote Originally Posted by jdfc View Post
    I thought it was the
    Buggering Broadcasting Company
    C obviously stands for chip 😂

And how anyone can think flower of Scotland is better than Jerusalem......God help them.

Last night at the proms versus random X factor contestant screeching at Hampden.

No contest

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    B stands for Broadcasting I think
    I knew you were going to say that so stressed the first B.

Must be great to be so predictable. You're due me a pint for that or I'll read your mind again and tell people exactly what you're thinking...................oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    And how anyone can think flower of Scotland is better than Jerusalem......God help them.

Last night at the proms versus random X factor contestant screeching at Hampden.

No contest
    Pat Kane doesn't think Flower of Scotland is appropriate.
    Writer and singer Pat Kane also backs the work of Robert Burns. He said: 'I hate "Flower of Scotland" -*it's martial, mournful, aggressive and anti-English. I would much prefer that the Scottish national anthem was Burns's 'A Man's A Man For 'a That'.13 Apr 2003

Highland Cathedral for me or Scotland the Brave.

What about **** you **** you England Wales and Ireland to.

Think the nationalist wud love it.

Alternatively the German anthem as the luv in with the EU continues.

The French one is hard to beat and kinda like the Irish one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)