+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT info re: is there any redress anywhere

OT info re: is there any redress anywhere

Asking for a relative. You buy an 18 grand, 3 year old used car that has just passed the MOT. It runs well and you're perfectly happy with it. Time comes round for the next MOT. The garage spots something that could easily have been over looked and investigates further. removing bits and bobs they discover that the left front wheel has, at some point in the past. had a rather nasty bang and the track rods and suspension was out of kilter. Someone has done a botch job on it to get it back in line including filing away some bits of metal to the point of it being dangerous. Chances are that he has been very lucky to have it spotted now rather than have the obvious happen at 70 on a motorway.

Who had the accident? Who did the botch job? Did the selling garage know about it? If they did they'll deny it anyway.

What redress would he have if it turns out there is so much damage the car, now 4 years old, is a write off?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Asking for a relative. You buy an 18 grand, 3 year old used car that has just passed the MOT. It runs well and you're perfectly happy with it. Time comes round for the next MOT. The garage spots something that could easily have been over looked and investigates further. removing bits and bobs they discover that the left front wheel has, at some point in the past. had a rather nasty bang and the track rods and suspension was out of kilter. Someone has done a botch job on it to get it back in line including filing away some bits of metal to the point of it being dangerous. Chances are that he has been very lucky to have it spotted now rather than have the obvious happen at 70 on a motorway.

Who had the accident? Who did the botch job? Did the selling garage know about it? If they did they'll deny it anyway.

What redress would he have if it turns out there is so much damage the car, now 4 years old, is a write off?

Thanks in advance.
    I had a similar situation - beautiful 4 year oldcar from a non-main dealer, turned out (and I noticed after two days) they'd hidden a significant front suspension issue. They refused to accept the car back, my eventual redress was with the finance company because I'd purchased on HP (or PCP, I forget which). Key things are: 1) Was it bought on finance (in which case the finance co may help, mine were great), 2) how long ago was it bought (in UK your rights diminish after 14 or 30 days, then (I think) 90 days, then a year, 3) was it bought in UK (obvs I dont know other territories law) 4) can the damage for certain be classified as a botch job by the sellers - of course if they are capable of the botch they are capable of lying about it. Very best of luck, the dealer who sold me mine totally denied culpability and also threatened to take me to court for posting a negative review on trustpilot.

IF, however, your relative has any spare cash, lives local to Derby and wants a) a pro report on the damage and b) the very best chance of recovery of the vehicle to driveable, I recommend CARS (Car Auto Repair Services) on Clarke street, they bought an X5 of mine back to life that had been hit so hard by a Volvo it ended up two streets away

Wa the vehicle bought from a dealer or a private sale? if the latter, then its probably been bought sight as seen and so little redress

Addition: I've just checked my correspondence, and there's also a 6 year rule (which Ididn't need so wasn't aware of) if it was from a dealer, as part of the consumer rights act 2015. That though may well be the start of a long and winding (scuse the pun) road

GP is right, although even in private sales, common law negligence overrides any (even written) 'sold as seen' clauses if theres negligence involved

Bought from a garage, not a dealer.

Years ago, possibly too long, I had a similar experience.
    Armed with an independent description of the fault from a mechanic I knew who had initially discovered the problem the vendor quickly caved in...not to the extent that I got my money back...but I did get a replacement vehicle which I then had thoroughly checked out.
    Might be a sensible compromise. Good luck to your relative...shouldn’t be having to worry about such stuff on an 18k vehicle.

He really likes the car. Wants to keep it if possible, despite the unexpected repair costs. He's also spent a couple of grand on "extras" such as having cruise control fitted.....

The garage he took it to is being very helpful. They are detailing precisely what heeds to happen and what it will cost to get it back into its proper state and pass the MOT prior to starting the work. To the extent that they came to the conclusion that the hit to the wheel, track rods, suspension etc must have been huge and they are getting an expert in to check that the chassis isn't bent anywhere. They have said that the bodywork is original......

He really likes the car. Wants to keep it if possible, despite the unexpected repair costs. He's also spent a couple of grand on "extras" such as having cruise control fitted.....

The garage he took it to is being very helpful. They are detailing precisely what heeds to happen and what it will cost to get it back into its proper state and pass the MOT prior to starting the work. To the extent that they came to the conclusion that the hit to the wheel, track rods, suspension etc must have been huge and they are getting an expert in to check that the chassis isn't bent anywhere. They have said that the bodywork is original......
    You may find it difficult after such a long period of time, to get anyone to face liability. Legally, it could take ages through the courts.
    Was the car inspected before purchase? If it was, then that is an avenue for reimbursement.

Also, the car has a depreciated re sale value.
    The depreciation was robbed from the purchase price and any future re sale.
    That is an avenue I would seeking from the garage,

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    You may find it difficult after such a long period of time, to get anyone to face liability. Legally, it could take ages through the courts.
    Was the car inspected before purchase? If it was, then that is an avenue for reimbursement.

Also, the car has a depreciated re sale value.
    The depreciation was robbed from the purchase price and any future re sale.
    That is an avenue I would seeking from the garage,
    It passed the MOT just before he bought it..... The damage was "hidden". For the new MOT, the new garage spotted something minor and decided to look further and discovered the mess that was the front left suspension, track arms etc....

It passed the MOT just before he bought it..... The damage was "hidden". For the new MOT, the new garage spotted something minor and decided to look further and discovered the mess that was the front left suspension, track arms etc....
    Sorry Maddy, I meant a pre purchase inspection . Either privately or one done by the selling garage?
    For example here, most garages have a second hand independent inspection on display, ie RAC or similar.

If they don't, then it easy to get one done before purchase.
    I still find it odd, that a "garage", isn't aware of a pre existing crash damage?
    Though I suppose there are plenty of dealers out there, who know full well and pick them up cheap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)