+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No more 5 o'clock football results

No more 5 o'clock football results

Being dropped in the name of progress

Something we all grew up with, the reading of the classified football results on the radio

No more Forfar 5 East Fife 4 and other gems

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Being dropped in the name of progress

Something we all grew up with, the reading of the classified football results on the radio

No more Forfar 5 East Fife 4 and other gems
    Well they have spent £50 million of license payers money over 4 years finding out what we watch/listen and don’t watch/listen….

Not being funny but how long does that take to produce and take to do..picking at the scab again..

Good memories though although with James Alexander Gordon you only had to hear the home teams score and with his tone you knew what the match result was going to be.!…funny how it was either listening to that or finding a Dixons or waiting for green un to find out scores..!..

Sad news in the name of progress.

If the pools were still popular they'd be throwing money at it and making it a spectacle like the lottery.

Bit by bit our fabulous game is being taken apart until they only have to concentrate on the premiership.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey1974 View Post
    Well they have spent £50 million of license payers money over 4 years finding out what we watch/listen and don’t watch/listen….

Not being funny but how long does that take to produce and take to do..picking at the scab again..

Good memories though although with James Alexander Gordon you only had to hear the home teams score and with his tone you knew what the match result was going to be.!…funny how it was either listening to that or finding a Dixons or waiting for green un to find out scores..!..
    Dixons? Try redifusion shop on effingham street

I used to be waiting for green un to be delivered on a Saturday night I kept all of them along with programmes, autograph books, gave them all to brother in law when I got married, some 54 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Dixons? Try redifusion shop on effingham street
    I just speaking in general terms……..of course you wouldn’t have seen results in dixons as bloody store manager would have turned tv”s off out of spite..🤣🤣🤣

Gutted. I'm sure there aren't many who take their tranny to the match these days so they can listen to the football results going out the ground or on their way home as they all have smart phones but I shall still miss it, not so much going home from the match now but when I'm travelling in the car I can always rely on Sports Report to keep me in the loop. Not any more. I also used to enjoy when on the allotment where I never took my phone if I could help it. What a shame! And why? How will it save them money? Beggar! Don't you hate progress? (as defined by others)

Quote Originally Posted by South Coast Miller View Post
    Gutted. I'm sure there aren't many who take their tranny to the match these days so they can listen to the football results going out the ground or on their way home as they all have smart phones but I shall still miss it, not so much going home from the match now but when I'm travelling in the car I can always rely on Sports Report to keep me in the loop. Not any more. I also used to enjoy when on the allotment where I never took my phone if I could help it. What a shame! And why? How will it save them money? Beggar! Don't you hate progress? (as defined by others)
    It’s just another sacrifice on the altar of Premiership football

I've spotted a business opportunity here. A phone app that 'scrapes' all the scores off one of the results web sites and converts it into an audio stream using James Alexander Gorden's voice. I can even add in a bit of static to emulate the old AM radio frequency. I'm sure I'll make enough off this enterprise to allow me to purchase RUFC and launch our bid for footballing supremacy

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    It’s just another sacrifice on the altar of Premiership football
    Too true! They've got it in for us footy fans of teams outside the Premiership. I know they get the biggest crowds but there are 20 teams in the Premiership and 72 in the EFL. And we're all fanatical about our local team, desperate for news and coverage. The newspapers are going the same way. Our paper has a Monday supplement called Goal which used to cover all divisions pretty well but now you might as well change the name to Premiership. You get about half a page covering the EFL and 15 pages covering the Premiership. I dread the EFL one day just being populated with the second and third strings of Premiership teams.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast