+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: O/T Ri'dick'ulous

Well it never did Little Richard's career any harm...

Quote Originally Posted by Redshank View Post
    That's exactly how I read it...Dick's back carriage ride

It's hilarious how the mere hint of woke gets all the usual gammons instantly frothing at the mouth though. They don't need much poking
    Exactly.

Although on closer reading, whilst this is a Yahoo news page, the origin of the story is by the media outlet representing the harder right wing of the Conservative Party, The Telegraph. And as you say, helps keep the hard right frothers rage in full twitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    But surely that's just arguing over levels of offensiveness. The use of " spaz" or " dick" isn't accident it's deliberately done to get the twittersphere twitching.
    Well in this case the use of Dick is unavoidable as it's his commonly used name. As mentioned by quite a few, faking offence in this case is the problem simply to garner attention and gain publicity, especially as they don't provide any actual evidence. I'd have no problem if the proprietor of this establishment suffered the same fate at Dick. I'm sure some would be offended though

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Well in this case the use of Dick is unavoidable as it's his commonly used name. As mentioned by quite a few, faking offence in this case is the problem simply to garner attention and gain publicity, especially as they don't provide any actual evidence. I'd have no problem if the proprietor of this establishment suffered the same fate at Dick. I'm sure some would be offended though
    I think there’s a pub in York with the same name.

Maybe they should change it to the Elton John to offend American tourists

Quote Originally Posted by MagyarMiller View Post
    Have you ever come across 'the 3 investigators" books, Cam?

A kind of American version, set around LA,.
    Titled "Alfred Hitchcock and the 3 investigators" where the director had brief cameos in the books.

I had to look the author up who was Robert Arthur Jr. wrote them between '64 and '87 according to the net.

I remember enjoying some of those as a kid, think I've still got some somewhere, bought at school book club.

Just noticed as well that they've since made some films of some of them, on Netflix apparently.
    Thanks for that Magyar I'll have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    I think there’s a pub in York with the same name.

Maybe they should change it to the Elton John to offend American tourists
    Definitely will if they have Faggots and Peas atop the menu.

Circling back on the 'spaz' kerfuffle. I was watching a quiz show on mainstream TV here last night (ABC) and one of the competitors actually gave 'spaz' as a response to one of the questions and not an eyebrow was raised. Goes to show how what's acceptable in one society can be offensive to another.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Definitely will if they have Faggots and Peas atop the menu.

Circling back on the 'spaz' kerfuffle. I was watching a quiz show on mainstream TV here last night (ABC) and one of the competitors actually gave 'spaz' as a response to one of the questions and not an eyebrow was raised. Goes to show how what's acceptable in one society can be offensive to another.
    What was the question?

“ what did Jason Taylor remind you of when he tried to run?”!

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    What was the question?

“ what did Jason Taylor remind you of when he tried to run?”!
    How did you guess that? His fame was obviously transatlantic

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123