+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Ri'dick'ulous

O/T Ri'dick'ulous

Any truth in this story or simply a publicity stunt? Are people really offended with the name Dick Turpin or is it just an attempt to get some free marketing? Life would simply have not been the same growing up and going to see Richard Whittington in panto, Richard Van Dyke murdering a cockney accent in Mary Poppins, Richard Davies and his famous 'tache presenting World of Sport, Richard Dastardly and Muttley pitting their wits against Penelope Pitstop and finally seeing Richard Habbin finding the back of the net at Millmoor.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/parents-de...174353497.html

Anyone who complained must be a richardhead.

PS Next up for this publicity agency, the renaming of S****horpe

And just when I was hoping that the Famous Five books would be reinstated. Transgender George was going to score some PC points for dear old Enid but now the younger brother of Julian and Ann is in for a mauling.

To borrow shamelessly from an old joke, the credits for Mary Poppins will now need to read:

Chimney Sweep - Pen.is Van Lesbian

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    And just when I was hoping that the Famous Five books would be reinstated. Transgender George was going to score some PC points for dear old Enid but now the younger brother of Julian and Ann is in for a mauling.

To borrow shamelessly from an old joke, the credits for Mary Poppins will now need to read:

Chimney Sweep - Pen.is Van Lesbian
    Good to know that there are other Famous Five aficionados out there CT. Bought a complete set online about 20 years ago (came from India) and my daughters loved them.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Any truth in this story or simply a publicity stunt? Are people really offended with the name Dick Turpin or is it just an attempt to get some free marketing? Life would simply have not been the same growing up and going to see Richard Whittington in panto, Richard Van Dyke murdering a cockney accent in Mary Poppins, Richard Davies and his famous 'tache presenting World of Sport, Richard Dastardly and Muttley pitting their wits against Penelope Pitstop and finally seeing Richard Habbin finding the back of the net at Millmoor.

Not unlike putting the word spaz in a crap song

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Not unlike putting the word spaz in a crap song
    I'd beg to differ Grist. Spaz is generally deemed as offensive and will have caused some harm to her brand whereas Dick isn't.

Good to know that there are other Famous Five aficionados out there CT. Bought a complete set online about 20 years ago (came from India) and my daughters loved them.
    Hope they weren’t Hindi translations, CAM! (Loved them as a kid and read them to my kids, too. I also liked the ‘…. of Adventure’ series she did, too. All that ginger beer, slabs of chocolate and rugs to wrap yourself in on a cold night on Kirrin Island!)

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Hope they weren’t Hindi translations, CAM! (Loved them as a kid and read them to my kids, too. I also liked the ‘…. of Adventure’ series she did, too. All that ginger beer, slabs of chocolate and rugs to wrap yourself in on a cold night on Kirrin Island!)
    No, standard Enid English. I've never been a big reader but for some reason as a youngster I couldn't put the FF books down. About 40 years on I did get into the Lee Child 'Jack Reacher' books which I suppose are just an adult version of FF adventures.

PS I did read your book

My beloved Billy Bunter books 'disappeared' because his Indian prince

Classmate was nicknamed 'Inky'.

As a matter of interest.......which idiot put the 'Thorpe' in 'Sc**thorpe'?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast