+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold light of day.

Cold light of day.

On reflection, I am happy after two games against two teams that will probably de at least in the play offs, come the end.
    Grant played well and will have to improve his ratio on chances.
    Button did well for what he had to do. If you get lobbed from sixty yards then it has to be an excellent strike and it was.
    Penalty save will improve his confidence.
    Backs did well but new partnership at center will need to be tighter but did well against strikers that did very well last year.
    Away to Boro and home to Watford for opening two games, before hand I would have been happy with two points, considering we were pretty much similar to last year.
    But as Mick has said elsewhere, it is the draws that are the killers.
    But hugely impressed with new signings ans some of ole guard and think we will have to see how the next game goes away to Blackburn. But I feel a lot better after last night's performance.
    If for know other reason other then that we are all getting old, I think it is time to deploy optimism for this season...
    COYB.

The team played great and Furlong was superb along with Ajayi and Okay in the short time we saw him. Grant played well and if he can improve his finishing will be lethal. He works hard gets into great positions and has shown what he can do. Just needs to do it more often.

They played closer as a team unit then I have seen for some time.
    I am optimistic going forward.

Last night I took my 83 year old dad, as well as my lad who after last season I could sense was getting to the point where he might give up on coming to games with me regularly, well my dad who is as dour a Blackcountry ode mon as ever there was was on his feet applauding at the end. For me it felt like even if only for a brief moment I had the Albion of my youth back, sensational wide play, football on the front foot and oh boy if we had a number 9 to hammer those crosses we really would be IMO looking good for promotion. COYB happy this morning well done Bruce in playing to the talents of the squad.

Okay needs to start!! We need a striker with a killer instinct and let’s be honest - Grant scored a good goal but missed three sitters. Missed chances cost us every single game!

Why oh why bring on Reach - he’s s hite!!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Okay needs to start!! We need a striker with a killer instinct and let’s be honest - Grant scored a good goal but missed three sitters. Missed chances cost us every single game!

Why oh why bring on Reach - he’s s hite!!
    Everybody needs a striker in this division.
    Dike we bought. Injured but hopefully not seriously.
    Zohore. Never figured, so is not a loss.
    Grant. Scored about 15 last season. Made chances but scored one out of six. This against a team that had just been relegated and will prove difficult to beat this season.
    We are a mid championship team that played one of the favorites off the park last night.
    Two tough games done and looking good now. I would have taken that at the start.
    Just look at all the predictions for a Watford win. So a good result and lets move on....

I was listening to an interesting debate at lunchtime on Sky News about Chelsea.

They were saying despite paying out huge transfer fees, and add-ons for the likes of Lukaku, Werner and several before them, all they have done is effectively thrown mega millions down the drain as they have all been financial disasters.

As Dubs says everybody in this division needs a striker and I suspect that is true even in the PL except for a very advantaged few.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    I was listening to an interesting debate at lunchtime on Sky News about Chelsea.

They were saying despite paying out huge transfer fees, and add-ons for the likes of Lukaku, Werner and several before them, all they have done is effectively thrown mega millions down the drain as they have all been financial disasters.

As Dubs says everybody in this division needs a striker and I suspect that is true even in the PL except for a very advantaged few.

No coincidence the three who went up Fulham, Bournemouth and Forest scored the most goals in the division. The same machine who plays for Fulham got two against Liverpool.

This is a clear message and it’s fair to say the three teams who score the most goals this season will be promoted or very close. You know Watford have strikers who will score!

Does not matter if you create ten chances it’s putting the goals in the net. We must win on Sunday otherwise no wins in three games will be poor - whichever way you dress it up!!!

Probably the best team performance in 12 months - yes we have had better results but the style of play and energy was actually a pleasure to watch. When I think back to the dark days under Val ... this was a complete revelation. I actually enjoyed watching us play and every player did their job. Worry of course is putting the ball in the net. Grant missed six clear cut chances and took one - arguably the one he scored was the hardest of the lot. Unless we improve in this area we will remain mid-table.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    No coincidence the three who went up Fulham, Bournemouth and Forest scored the most goals in the division. The same machine who plays for Fulham got two against Liverpool.

This is a clear message and it’s fair to say the three teams who score the most goals this season will be promoted or very close. You know Watford have strikers who will score!

Does not matter if you create ten chances it’s putting the goals in the net. We must win on Sunday otherwise no wins in three games will be poor - whichever way you dress it up!!!
    I made this point at the start of last season and the start of this season.

I think it was bar 1 season the top 2 teams on goals scored ended up in the top 3 in the Championship each season this century.

Hardly rocket science and in an industry that is awash with data I think it just beggars belief that we have not prioritised a goal scorer for this season.

Yes great to have Swift and Wallace but we created the 3rd most shots last season with the format and players we had last season. Conversion of those shots though a completely difference thing, 23rd last season out of 24!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)