+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heatwave [Re. Playing conditions]

1976 and 1990 (the only time I'd known the temps to reach 36 in Notts before last month) are the two hot summers I remember growing up, the football seasons then beginning on 21st and 25th August respectively. As we now start earlier, the chances of playing in 35+ increase, but this weekend will most likely turn out to be a one off for most of us.

I've been moaning about the heat, but like a lot of people I'm soon going to realise what cold weather actually feels like in the coming winters when I can't afford to have the heating on. Winter has always been something that happens outside until now and I expect that is going to have a far greater impact on health and mortality rates.

Very true UTM about this winter, I wonder if the msm, especially the BBC will be as quick and vocal to point out likely deaths from cold weather, as they are with a couple of days of hot weather. It doesn't fit their agenda of global warming scaremongering.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post

I've been moaning about the heat, but like a lot of people I'm soon going to realise what cold weather actually feels like in the coming winters when I can't afford to have the heating on. Winter has always been something that happens outside until now and I expect that is going to have a far greater impact on health and mortality rates.
    Memories of scraping pictures and patterns in the frost of the inside bedroom windows and one coal fire for the whole house - or in the days of student digs, one paraffin heater in the lounge for the 5 of us, no upstairs heating.

At least the toilets were eventually inside once we'd moved from my Grandma's.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Very true UTM about this winter, I wonder if the msm, especially the BBC will be as quick and vocal to point out likely deaths from cold weather, as they are with a couple of days of hot weather. It doesn't fit their agenda of global warming scaremongering.
    I'd say dwindling resources and large populations no longer being necessary to sustain security for those at the top is the real issue. Those in power and those with genuine privilege have to find a way of convincing the rest of us to make the sacrifices so that they can carry on living as they are. We are being sold the idea that we have to "save the planet" from "climate change" and plenty are falling for it, in some cases to the point they are willing to not have any children. It's effectively a suicide cult.

The fact of the matter is, the Earth has come out of an ice age and one of the coldest periods since the beginning of time. Temperatures are still well below historic averages, so of course the planet is going to heat up. That is the natural order of things. Human beings are a mere temporary expression of life of Earth whilst conditions are optimal for them to survive and proper. The planet will be fine and does not need saving.

What the timeframe is between now and human extinction is open to debate, but it won't happen over night and half a billion or so will probably be able to exist in comfort long after it's become impractical to sustain 8 billion.

Minus 3 here in NZ this morning. I'll swap you.

Can just imagine being down the Carrington Lido for the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Exactly. I watched a top-flight game in the Czech Republic a few years back when the weather was in the high 30s. I don't think the players or fans there thought anything of it. Likewise, you get games going ahead in sub-zero temps with snow piled up on the sidelines. Nobody cares.

I don't know what the medical guidance is on this, however. Perhaps some people are more susceptible to heatstroke/heat-related exhaustion than others.
    Who won?

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I'd say dwindling resources and large populations no longer being necessary to sustain security for those at the top is the real issue. Those in power and those with genuine privilege have to find a way of convincing the rest of us to make the sacrifices so that they can carry on living as they are. We are being sold the idea that we have to "save the planet" from "climate change" and plenty are falling for it, in some cases to the point they are willing to not have any children. It's effectively a suicide cult.

The fact of the matter is, the Earth has come out of an ice age and one of the coldest periods since the beginning of time. Temperatures are still well below historic averages, so of course the planet is going to heat up. That is the natural order of things. Human beings are a mere temporary expression of life of Earth whilst conditions are optimal for them to survive and proper. The planet will be fine and does not need saving.

What the timeframe is between now and human extinction is open to debate, but it won't happen over night and half a billion or so will probably be able to exist in comfort long after it's become impractical to sustain 8 billion.
    Lol it’s like 1990s internet in here, so full of swallowed denialism propaganda that.

Anyway totally agree it’s not on us it’s on those in power to change, even if it is sometimes us allowed the chance to influence them. But this is a thread about Boreham Wood game - I’m more annoyed I’ll struggle to get there due to train strikes (which I support, if we want another off topic rambleathon!)

Some proper hard geezers in this thread. All personal preferences of course but at various times I’ve ran half marathons, played cricket at a sh!t level, cycled 100+ miles, and all of them were relative pieces of piss in comparison with 90 minutes of football at a very sh!t level in very hot weather. And I’ve never played in anywhere near 36 degrees( the hottest temp ever recorded in the UK was 38ish until a few weeks ago).

Of course they can play in that weather, they’re professional athletes after all, it’s a case of whether they should. Club doctors etc will be consulted but I wonder what sort of spectacle it’ll be. Might suit us I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by mattpie View Post
    Lol it’s like 1990s internet in here, so full of swallowed denialism propaganda that.

Anyway totally agree it’s not on us it’s on those in power to change, even if it is sometimes us allowed the chance to influence them. But this is a thread about Boreham Wood game - I’m more annoyed I’ll struggle to get there due to train strikes (which I support, if we want another off topic rambleathon!)
    Thank god for this post, I was starting to get worried! But yeah Borham Wood just drink breaks me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by mattpie View Post

Thanks Matt, appreciated.

It started dangerously veering off towards O/T territory, which IMO should be approached with caution and at the poster's own risk to brain cells.

I was all set prior to the fixture list ebing announced to go back to Borehamwood being local(ish). Very annoying and ironically I'm back in Nottingham seeing family so won't be able to cheer on the lads and shout occasional unconstructive critisism (when warranted) from the away end.

Still plenty more away games to go to throughout the season.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast