+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heatwave [Re. Playing conditions]

Heatwave [Re. Playing conditions]

Temperatures of 35-36 degrees forecast for the southeast on Saturday. Unpleasant for watching, never mind playing. A chance that the Borehamwood game could be the first Notts match postponed because it’s too hot?
    Last edited by SwalePie; 10-08-2022 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Added detail to title for clarity

Never stopped me in ‘76!

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Temperatures of 35-36 degrees forecast for the southeast on Saturday. Unpleasant for watching, never mind playing. A chance that the Borehamwood game could be the first Notts match postponed because it’s too hot?
    Looks like the only rule in place currently for hot weather is mandatory drinks breaks in the 30th and 75th minutes.

Might be an idea in the future to delay kick-off times to 7:45pm on the very rare occasions when the temps rise to mid 30s during football seasons. so long as you can give at least a few days notice and refund those who are unable to change their plans who've bought tickets.

It used to drive me nuts when they talked about making football a summer sport back in the 70s and 80s, to reverse the decline in attendances. I absolutely hated going to games when it was hot.

There was the fire caused by an overheated generator beneath the main stand at the PNE home game in '87.
    People spilled onto the pitch for a short delay but the match was completed.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Never stopped me in ‘76!
    They say the very highest temperatures in 1976 were about 35 C. This is much more severe.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Borehamwood need to water their pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    They say the very highest temperatures in 1976 were about 35 C. This is much more severe.
    I know, it was very much tongue in cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Never stopped me in ‘76!
    Nor me, Gumpy was a sun worshipper back in those days. Now, it just plays my eczema up.

Heathrow had 16 consecutive days over 30 °C (86 °F) from 23 June to 8 July[5] and for 15 consecutive days from 23 June to 7 July temperatures reached 32.2 °C (90 °F) somewhere in England. Furthermore, five days saw temperatures exceed 35 °C (95 °F). On 28 June, temperatures reached 35.6 °C (96.1 °F) in Southampton, the highest June temperature recorded in the UK. The hottest day of all was 3 July, with temperatures reaching 35.9 °C (96.6 °F) in Cheltenham.[citation needed]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_B...sles_heat_wave

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Looks like the only rule in place currently for hot weather is mandatory drinks breaks in the 30th and 75th minutes.
    I think that's a sensible and adequate precaution. When did we become so f@cking fragile that we can't run around for 90 minutes in temperatures that will seem a bit on the warm side in many parts of Europe? It will be more draining than normal, but it's not like it's putting lives at risk. The 'other Notts' played a cricket match on the hottest day of the year and a batsman occupied the crease from 11am until 6:30pm. It's not quite the intensity of football and they had longer breaks, but I would guess the overall physical exertion would be greater than any player at any level produces in a football match.

Edit: Forgot to add that FIFA selected Qatar to host a World Cup.

A 36 degree temperature would be a bit on the cool side over there!
    Last edited by Elite_Pie; 09-08-2022 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I think that's a sensible and adequate precaution. When did we become so f@cking fragile that we can't run around for 90 minutes in temperatures that will seem a bit on the warm side in many parts of Europe? It will be more draining than normal, but it's not like it's putting lives at risk. The 'other Notts' played a cricket match on the hottest day of the year and a batsman occupied the crease from 11am until 6:30pm. It's not quite the intensity of football and they had longer breaks, but I would guess the overall physical exertion would be greater than any player at any level produces in a football match.
    Didn't England play a ODI against SA on the hottest day of the year? I felt for em, bloody outrageously hot that day.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast