+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Heatwave [Re. Playing conditions]

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    Guess you've never been to Sorrento then Op...
    Does it only apply to Naples then? I've spent more time there than Sorrento.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    1976 and 1990 (the only time I'd known the temps to reach 36 in Notts before last month)
    Notts only reached a high of 31 in 1976, the only time they had topped 36 was 2019, (they reached 34 in 1990)

When I'm in Sorrento (my wife is Italian) I try to go to a local match either Sorrento FC they normally kick off at 8.00pm or Napoli they kick off at 5.30pm, which hot weather wise makes sense...Guess the problem in he UK with late kick offs could be fans travelling back home after some of the matches...
    "Torna a Surriento"

wonderful song

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Memories of scraping pictures and patterns in the frost of the inside bedroom windows and one coal fire for the whole house - or in the days of student digs, one paraffin heater in the lounge for the 5 of us, no upstairs heating.

At least the toilets were eventually inside once we'd moved from my Grandma's.
    Memories of putting warm pennies on a frosted window to melt the ice and just because we could. Bending a soft twig into a loop to lift dewy cobwebs off a hedge on the way to school, wearing a balacalava. And horrors! making a great big icy slide in the school playground which got bigger and bigger the more we slid(?) on it, all the while being ignored by the teachers.

We would make "winter warmers" out of old cocoa tins. Pierce small holes all around the tin, half fill it with rags then a small piece of burning coal (remember coal?) then more rags, thread a loop of wire through the tin and whirl the lot round your head to create a draught. Much more fun than them modern chemical hand warmers especially if a spark shot out and burned somebody, how we laughed.

When I'm in Sorrento (my wife is Italian) I try to go to a local match either Sorrento FC they normally kick off at 8.00pm or Napoli they kick off at 5.30pm, which hot weather wise makes sense...Guess the problem in he UK with late kick offs could be fans travelling back home after some of the matches...
    All Serie A matches are evening kick offs at this time of year, they change it around the end of September I think.

Latest forecast is still 36 according to the BBC, 32 according to the Met Office. A big discrepancy at this time range. Given the highest temperature yesterday darn sarf was 34, I expect the BBC model to be nearer the mark.

As someone else on the thread said, would it have been too hard earlier in the week to shift the kick off time a couple of hours forward or back?

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Memories of putting warm pennies on a frosted window to melt the ice and just because we could. Bending a soft twig into a loop to lift dewy cobwebs off a hedge on the way to school, wearing a balacalava. And horrors! making a great big icy slide in the school playground which got bigger and bigger the more we slid(?) on it, all the while being ignored by the teachers.

We would make "winter warmers" out of old cocoa tins. Pierce small holes all around the tin, half fill it with rags then a small piece of burning coal (remember coal?) then more rags, thread a loop of wire through the tin and whirl the lot round your head to create a draught. Much more fun than them modern chemical hand warmers especially if a spark shot out and burned somebody, how we laughed.
    Wow that's brought some memories back. Golden Syrup tins are what we used, portable braziers, handy for keeping warm when doing paper deliveries especially on the bicycle. Big boys slide and baby slide, snowball fights.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Latest forecast is still 36 according to the BBC, 32 according to the Met Office. A big discrepancy at this time range. Given the highest temperature yesterday darn sarf was 34, I expect the BBC model to be nearer the mark.

As someone else on the thread said, would it have been too hard earlier in the week to shift the kick off time a couple of hours forward or back?
    Met office gives the highest temp down south yesterday as 32.5.
    BBC have now dropped their forecast another degree to 35, so we're mostly likely going to be playing in 33 or 34.

Quote Originally Posted by SwingateUnited View Post
    Notts only reached a high of 31 in 1976, the only time they had topped 36 was 2019, (they reached 34 in 1990)
    34.6 Watnall weather station in 1990, so it probably was 35 in the city. I lived in a valley between two busy roads at the time and it was hell, much worse than last month. I'm high up now where there's always a breeze, so it's easier to get the house to cool down first thing. Can't be pleasant for the folk who live on the ring road though, or the A roads into the city center.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Met office gives the highest temp down south yesterday as 32.5.
    BBC have now dropped their forecast another degree to 35, so we're mostly likely going to be playing in 33 or 34.
    Nah, the highest temperature yesterday was 34.2 at somewhere called Wiggonholt in Sus***.

The BBC app has dropped tomorrow to 35 but the Meteo app is still saying 36.

More news as we get it.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast