+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC Radio Sports Report Football Results.

BBC Radio Sports Report Football Results.

Yesterday, the BBC announced that they would no longer broadcast the English and Scottish football results on Sports Report at 5pm on a Saturday, due to Premier League matches being broadcast at 5-30 pm. This programme has been a British sporting institution since 1948, but the BBC have decided that Premier League matches take precedence over mainstream English and Scottish matches.

This is in my opinion another dreadful decision by the BBC and one which should be reversed. The reading only takes five minutes, but the BBC state that they are no longer able to fit them into their schedule. For many, driving home from a football match on a Saturday evening listening to the results was part and parcel of the match day experience.

Am I a lone voice, or are others of a similar opinion to me?

Quote Originally Posted by CheltenhamPie View Post
    Yesterday, the BBC announced that they would no longer broadcast the English and Scottish football results on Sports Report at 5pm on a Saturday, due to Premier League matches being broadcast at 5-30 pm. This programme has been a British sporting institution since 1948, but the BBC have decided that Premier League matches take precedence over mainstream English and Scottish matches.

This is in my opinion another dreadful decision by the BBC and one which should be reversed. The reading only takes five minutes, but the BBC state that they are no longer able to fit them into their schedule. For many, driving home from a football match on a Saturday evening listening to the results was part and parcel of the match day experience.

I always wanted to hear James Alexander Gordon say East Fife four, Forfar five and the excitement of the introductory music, especially when I was llistening on the short wave in the tropics when Notts beat Chelsea to gain promotion to the top filight.

But 5pm results have lost their impetus with so many games across the board no longer played at 3pm on a Saturday. And even those that are seem to struggle to be finished by 5pm. Not sure I'll miss it though I can understand that some might. I'm one of those that prefer not to hear the top flight results so that I can watch MOTD as "live" though folk often squeeze in a result or two on OUR match thread.

I couldn’t care less. There are many ways to get results, if you need them. When in the car after a game I am more interested in the interviews and analysis of Notts. Local BBC stations will still do this.

Even though I don't listen to it (I suffer Radio Red on the way back from home games), it's a national tradition that's been binned as a sacrifice to the sacred Premier League. A sad day for many older listeners who must have tuned in for decades, but Sky and BT etc now call the tune.

I think the timing of the sports report just needed pushing back a little so away fans in particular could get back to their cars to listen to the iconic music and then the results.
    Just another example of the simple life we all enjoyed being chipped away.

Used to love running back to the car with the old man to listen to it. Get in the car get it on & out the city as quickly as possible as the mw frequency would get interference from the tall buildings & you didn't want to miss the scores, then turn radio red on to listen to CS review of the Notts game

I've got a recording of James Alexander Gordon reading out the results in 1984, unfortunately Notts lost that day (2-1 to Leeds).

Not bothered really, other ways of getting results

Used to get a thick ear if me Mum missed a score while checking her pools coupon; my sister and I sat as if turned to stone! So many other ways to get a result these days for those interested and I am sure the savings will be directed to yet another top-notch programme from the Beeb.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    I think the timing of the sports report just needed pushing back a little so away fans in particular could get back to their cars to listen to the iconic music and then the results.
    Just another example of the simple life we all enjoyed being chipped away.
    I agree with the point about pushing the classified results back by 5 minutes or so, especially as “added time “ to games (generally) seems to get longer each season.

The BBC decision is just another example of the way they, and the rest of the media, concentrate on the Premier League at the expense of the rest of football. Personally I’m more interested in what Forfar did against East Fife than I am in hearing another interview with Guardiola, Klopp, Tuchel, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast