+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does the money go to?

Where does the money go to?

I am not asking this question to inspire a debate between Labour and Tory.

With the bankruptcy of Birmingham council, the fact that there is income tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax, VAT, council tax, special taxes, government debts over a trillion, the country is decaying before our eyes, where does all the money go to?

Wherever you look, Britain is increasingly a third world country. The tax take is massive by anyone’s standards.

It does not seem to make a difference as to which political party is in power, there is an awful lot of wasted money spent by our government.

One of my personal grievences is the money spent on baleouts of companies whose product is deemed essential to the people of the UK. In the cases of energy and transport industries on which everyone in the UK requires, those companies should be state owned, and operated on a minimal profit basis, to allow the people who need their services to have the best possible price for that service.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    It does not seem to make a difference as to which political party is in power, there is an awful lot of wasted money spent by our government.

One of my personal grievences is the money spent on baleouts of companies whose product is deemed essential to the people of the UK. In the cases of energy and transport industries on which everyone in the UK requires, those companies should be state owned, and operated on a minimal profit basis, to allow the people who need their services to have the best possible price for that service.
    I agree VC. The water companies are a classic example. The waterways and the seas are a disgrace. Outrageous salaries, high dividend payouts and minimal infrastructure investment.

What amazes me is that Britain sends aid to China and India. Both of them can afford a space programme! How ludicrous is that!

What about the massive amount of money we spend on the huge debts we have accumulated by spending more than we take in. We have too many benefits and not enough people that do productive stuff and no I am not having a go at real people that cant work and need help. It's a problem we won't deal with but the debts will kill us as sure as cyanide. The idea of Keynes economic theory was to pay the borrowing back in the good times. Trouble is politicians need to bribe voters so they never do. Hence this country is a dump; It make me cry to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlydave View Post
    What about the massive amount of money we spend on the huge debts we have accumulated by spending more than we take in. We have too many benefits and not enough people that do productive stuff and no I am not having a go at real people that cant work and need help. It's a problem we won't deal with but the debts will kill us as sure as cyanide. The idea of Keynes economic theory was to pay the borrowing back in the good times. Trouble is politicians need to bribe voters so they never do. Hence this country is a dump; It make me cry to see it.
    I agree DD. And with inflation comes higher interest rates, which means the debt costs more to service.

Another economics basics is that printing money is inflationary - see Nazi Germany as a classic example.

This week the Governor of the BoE announced that, oops, they printed too much money. Who are these clowns? The BoE was made independent so that it could not be used for political ends. Why have they printed too much money? To meet political ends.

You couldn’t make it up.

Thir**** years of a Tory government and Britain is broken. They will be gone soon.

Unfortunately we have another empty egghead waiting to take over with just about the worst Cabinet in waiting ever.

it seems to me privatisation hasn't worked, unless you're employed high in the new sectors or an investor receiving dividends, the country has just been asset stripped and it's amazing that the Tories haven't been able to get their hands on the NHS (yet). Paying record salaries and dividends and not reinvesting in the infrastructure of our major utilities is only going one way as far as the country is concerned. brexit hasn't helped either despite all the promises.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Thir**** years of a Tory government and Britain is broken. They will be gone soon.

Unfortunately we have another empty egghead waiting to take over with just about the worst Cabinet in waiting ever.
    As I mentioned, I did not raise the subject to blame the Tories or Labour. They are both as bad as each other. It is worth noting that Birmingham and others filling 114 are Labour run councils. As far as I am aware, the Tories do not dictate policy to Labour run councils.

My question to you poor souls living in a third world country is where on earth does all the money go to?

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    As I mentioned, I did not raise the subject to blame the Tories or Labour. They are both as bad as each other. It is worth noting that Birmingham and others filling 114 are Labour run councils. As far as I am aware, the Tories do not dictate policy to Labour run councils.

My question to you poor souls living in a third world country is where on earth does all the money go to?
    Birmingham Council have been subjected to 50% cuts like every other Metropolitan Council because of the Tory austerity policy founded by Cameron and Osborne.

The senior Tories look after their chums and that's where the money goes...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56319927

Birmingham City Council Spending on Councillors 2018/19:-
    Basic Allowances £1,705,892.16: Special Allowances £476,698.72: Travel £4,898.93: Carer £239.00

2021/22:-
    Basic Allowances £1,775,464.69: Special Allowances £592,205.27: Travel £1831.10: Carer £136.00

Over 90 councillors, most claiming over £18,000 allowances and add to that the Special Allownces and you are talking a lot of money.

Over the time shown the Basic Allowances rose aroun 4% but the Special Allowances rose by around 25%.

Easy answer is to get yourself elected to your local council and you are quids in.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)