+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Heatwave weather [Re. Climate Opinions/Handbags]

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    It said this in a news report today I read about the drought:

Scientists say the likelihood of droughts occurring is becoming higher due to climate change, driven by greenhouse gas emissions from burning fossil fuels and other human activities.

Now I just think it's interesting that people normally listen to the experts but not when they don't agree with it. So most business leaders (experts on business) in the UK said Brexit was economic suicide to which people who wanted leave said was scaremongering. Now we can see it wasn't, the rest of the deals we can sign up with the world won't cover what we've lost and our growth forecast is second worst only to Russia. When you get really ill through accident or disease then you go to the experts in that field, the hospital, consultants and GPS. When you have an insect infestation you go to the experts rentokill. Same for a complex plumbing issue or electrical fault. Why are some people so quick to discredit the experts on the climate, doesn't make sense.

Yeah, much good food for thought there!

Alas, m'sen I have given up all hope of us (collectively) ever stopping serious climate change.

I think the big problem is that the contest is so unfair:
    In the green corner - scientists, some reasonable folk, a few well-meaning liberals/radicals
    In the black corner - the automobile industrial mega-armies, the oil super-mega powers, all-powerful religious fundamentalists & ultra conservatives, etc

I think the climate change issue is much like two other huge controversies of the last century:

(1) Does smoking cause cancer and other serious diseases?
    Science: yes.
    The mighty tobacco industry & allies: no, there's no evidence.

(2) Have we arrived at the current "life on earth" species via the process of Darwinian Evolution?
    Science: yes.
    Religious fundamentalists: no, there's no evidence. Everything was created out of thin air.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    It said this in a news report today I read about the drought:

Scientists say the likelihood of droughts occurring is becoming higher due to climate change, driven by greenhouse gas emissions from burning fossil fuels and other human activities.

Now I just think it's interesting that people normally listen to the experts but not when they don't agree with it. So most business leaders (experts on business) in the UK said Brexit was economic suicide to which people who wanted leave said was scaremongering. Now we can see it wasn't, the rest of the deals we can sign up with the world won't cover what we've lost and our growth forecast is second worst only to Russia. When you get really ill through accident or disease then you go to the experts in that field, the hospital, consultants and GPS. When you have an insect infestation you go to the experts rentokill. Same for a complex plumbing issue or electrical fault. Why are some people so quick to discredit the experts on the climate, doesn't make sense.
    By this logic, you shouldn't question your government because they are political experts, just shut up and do what they tell you. Don't be so easily intimidated by big words, jargon and credentials, most of them are just bluffing their way through the job and through life like most of us are.

Experts are very often compromised and are paid to come up with the evidence their masters want to hear,, otherwise they lose their funding.
    Science isn't done by consensus, it's either right or its' wrong and this is an ongoing experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Of course it will have some effect, it's not going to end the world though is it.
    The world will have healed and be prospering for a long long time after we have finally blown ourselves up

Sweet dreams 👍

... science is not about impartiality, it's about making an answer fit a problem. Doesn't matter if the scientist could be wrong, as long as he gets the funding for the project ... 1, 2, 3 years or more. There are enough gullible politicians who can be convinced - they're only around for 5 years, or so ... and enough media slooths who sense a good/bad story to whip up fear ...

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Experts are very often compromised and are paid to come up with the evidence their masters want to hear.
    The best definition I heard of an 'expert' is 'somebody who got it right once'!

As the truth comes out about covid, it is apparent that the science we were told to follow was so far of beam, it is laughable. The go to man Neil Ferguson was so wrong with all his covid models/preductions, as has been the case with anything he is been in charge of, it does make you wonder how he keeps his job. He also broke covid rules to go and service his nock off, strangely no fine. He seems like an expert we should all trust, not.
    Scientists can be political, follow the money and tell porkies. They are not the neutral saints some would have you believe.
    I am still waiting for an explanation as to why the Great Barrier Reef has now grown back stronger, if it's bleaching was down to global warming. And that the ice at the Antartic has got thicker recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That's the problem, if you type 'climate change' into Google you will easily find a million articles saying it's threatening the future of the planet and a million articles saying it's all a load of bollox. So who is right? My views are based entirely on my time on the planet which is in excess of 60 years. A minuscule time in the big picture, but enough to see definite changes. Summers are hotter and drier, winters are milder, and extremes such as high winds and floods are more frequent. Whether this is short term and naturally cyclical I don't know. What I do know is that because I have kids and grandkids I would err on the side of caution. Even if it turns out to be wrong, we need to act now.
    As others have said, if you genuinely want to know about how the Earth’s climate is being affected by human activity, you find out what a climatologist thinks. If 9 climatologists say man made climate change is real, you don’t believe the 1 who says it isn’t. Billions upon billions of pounds and dollars have been spent on convincing people that man made climate change isn’t real, hence the Google results you’re on about and some of the posts in this thread.

I swear, some people would ring the chiropodist when they needed brain surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    And that the ice at the Antartic has got thicker recently.
    Reading this thread, it seems the ice isn't alone!

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    As others have said, if you genuinely want to know about how the Earth’s climate is being affected by human activity, you find out what a climatologist thinks. If 9 climatologists say man made climate change is real, you don’t believe the 1 who says it isn’t. Billions upon billions of pounds and dollars have been spent on convincing people that man made climate change isn’t real, hence the Google results you’re on about and some of the posts in this thread.

I swear, some people would ring the chiropodist when they needed brain surgery.
    Well Trump said its not a real thing and that's good enough for me !

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Well Trump said its not a real thing and that's good enough for me !
    Do you wear a "Make Notts County Great Again" hat for games just not in red?!!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast