+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: O/T:- Heatwave weather [Re. Climate Opinions/Handbags]

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Ah Australia, well lots of space there, lots of sunshine. All of the UK is interconnected with the National Grid and has been for as long as I remember.

We have lots of interconnections with our neighbours, current and planned:

https://publications.parliament.uk/p.../121/12109.htm

Attachment 22534

and we can see exactly where our main power is coming from or at times being exported to:

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

So at the moment I'm typing this we are exporting 3GW across the 4GW interconnector with France. Fortunately there is nothing connected to Russia or Ukraine.

When are you going to let WA join your interconnects? I don't know why they don't declare UDI.
    WA is so far away nobody's seriously considered connecting them up. NT in a similar boat except they're so tiny it isn't worth it for that reason. But in both cases they're working on their own storage for their grids.

But it's all doable. We'll have completely fossil-fuel-free power in the coming decades.

No matter what rhetoric is spouted by the grinning German reps at the UN, if Germany has closed down all of their deep "black" coal mines they must know that you cannot reopen them, that coal has gone forever, gravity will win out there.The tunnels, or "gates" need constant maintenance or there's no circulation of air, assuming the ventiltion fans have been kept running, the coal faces will have collapsed and methane (the explosive gas) will seep out from them. Without a pit being worked and maintained daily and forever by teams of colliers, gravity will close it permanantly. You cannot re-open a closed deep mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    Don't know about the UK. Where I live in Australia, the grid I'm on is connected with every east coast state and SA, stretching thousands of kilometers. A recent study done identified a mere 22,000 or so possible large scale pumped hydro storage sites. Perhaps the solution for the UK is connections to Europe and storage there if you can't find a single suitable site on your hilariously tiny island.
    Where abouts do you live? SA doesn't have enough of its own energy to keep the lights on and has to steal it off everyone else is it really giving energy to other states?

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Where abouts do you live? SA doesn't have enough of its own energy to keep the lights on and has to steal it off everyone else is it really giving energy to other states?
    Yes. When it's windy SA routinely pumps half a gigawatt over the border. Aside from Taswegiland (lots of Hydro) they have the lowest emissions of any grid.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Cant we just strap a couple of Rocket Boosters to the Poles, North and South, and when it gets a tad hot just fire them up and move away from the sun.
    No. There is at least one obvious problems with that “solution”.

First, the amount of force required to propel the earth significantly from its current course is exponentially more than could be achieved by rockets. This would be akin to you trying to move a skyscraper with the force of a fart.

Quote Originally Posted by andy6025 View Post
    No. There is at least one obvious problems with that “solution”.

First, the amount of force required to propel the earth significantly from its current course is exponentially more than could be achieved by rockets. This would be akin to you trying to move a skyscraper with the force of a fart.
    What about asking everyone on the side of the earth nearest to the sun to jump up and down until we are far enough away? Obviously if the earth is flat that wouldn’t work.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    What about asking everyone on the side of the earth nearest to the sun to jump up and down until we are far enough away? Obviously if the earth is flat that wouldn’t work.
    My gran can’t jump, so that idea’s a no go either, I’m afraid.

As I’ve always maintained, the only solution is to shrink the sun. Give it to my mum to put in the wash and we’re sorted.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213